PDA

View Full Version : Breaking news: Joker phillips has been fired

ColonelSteve
11-04-2012, 01:28 PM
In the end there are realities we must face and overcome. Right or wrong, we must respond to those realities to protect the 22 programs and 500-plus student-athletes for whom we provide. Obviously our football program is not where we want it to be and we are all disappointed; coaches, players, administration and our fans.

After much conversation, evaluation and prayer, I have determined that it is in the best interest of our athletics program to make a change in our football coaching staff at the conclusion of the season. I do so with a heavy heart for a man who has served his alma mater for almost 22 years as a player and a coach. Joker Phillips has carried the banner for the Blue and White with honor and pride. I have enjoyed working alongside him and am thankful for his friendship for the last decade. His concern for the entire program, his work and teaching of young people, his humanitarian work, and the friendship we all enjoy with him will long surpass the scoreboard. I want to thank him for all of those things on behalf of Kentucky.

The search for a new head coach will begin immediately and will be managed internally. I understand the challenge and significance of finding a new leader for our football program. It will be done with great concern for our student-athletes, students of the University of Kentucky, the Big Blue Nation and the citizens of the Commonwealth. Kentucky Football needs to be and will be a championship contender in the SEC.

http://www.ukathletics.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/110412aac.html

BigBluePappy
11-04-2012, 01:42 PM
Now, if only the start looking for a new AD................

ColonelSteve
11-04-2012, 01:50 PM
Hold on...no one is talking about the last line...that is a MONSTER statement that needs to be said in order to make a strong hire

"Kentucky Football needs to be and will be a championship contender in the SEC."

ColonelSteve
11-04-2012, 02:04 PM
UK spokesman DeWayne Peevy has told the media that Jokers status for the rest of the year is TBD...something has changed

ColonelSteve
11-04-2012, 02:07 PM
Rumor is Randy Sanders COULD be named interim coach tomorrow

ColonelSteve
11-04-2012, 02:20 PM
Ben Jones ‏@BW_Jones

UK spokesman @UKDeWaynePeevy says the status of the current assistants will be determined by the new head coach.

SalsaKat
11-04-2012, 02:33 PM
I don't know why they wouldn't let him finish out the season.

ColonelSteve
11-04-2012, 02:37 PM

Apparently it's Joker who's thinking about not finishing the year, he's got the green light if he wants it

ColonelSteve
11-04-2012, 02:38 PM
Jen Smith ‏@jenheraldleader

Apparently, Joker Phillips told Kentucky's players the news himself early today.

ColonelSteve
11-04-2012, 02:45 PM
Full statement from Joker Phillips: "We, as coaches, are measured on results. We didn’t get the results we had worked and hoped for, therefore change is needed. In my current 10-year stay at Kentucky, we’ve had some memorable moments as an assistant, coordinator and head coach. We’ve had the opportunity to coach some fine young men and I am grateful to have had the privilege of watching them grow as players, as students and as people.

I am very appreciative of Mitch Barnhart and Rich Brooks for providing the opportunity to have been the head coach here. Mitch is the best athletic director I’ve ever been associated with. He’s fair and honest and he’s “all in” in terms of student-athletes’ well-being. Rich is the best mentor a young coach could ever have. I learned a lot from him in terms of plowing ahead. They are dear friends. Dr. Lee Todd and Dr. Eli Capilouto have both been very supportive. I appreciate the Big Blue Nation and encourage the fans to stay behind their team going forward.

I love our players and am proud to be associated with them. I expect them to continue the behavior we have asked of them academically, socially and with football. I’m thankful for the staff’s hard work, dedication, and what they have done in coaching and mentoring the players. I’d like to thank my wife and family for all their support and for being behind me 100 percent."

Catfan73
11-04-2012, 02:50 PM
As a fan of Kentucky football, its impossible to not have mixed emotions right now. Its a sad day but also a happy day.

Lfbj00
11-04-2012, 02:52 PM
I went to the game yesterday. Was one of the 10,000 or so that was ACTUALLY there. I absolutely hated seeing that stadium that empty, and you could tell the players were in a little bit of awe at the empty seats. We've never been a football power by no means, but there has always been a crowd full of maniacs cheering for those kids, and yesterday the cheers of 500+ Vandy fans drowned out the stadium. THANKS MITCH!!!

Joker Phillips, I wish you nothing but the best in your future. Thank You for always BLEEDING BLUE!!

fastkat
11-04-2012, 03:01 PM
As a fan of Kentucky football, its impossible to not have mixed emotions right now. Its a sad day but also a happy day.

That is so true. You wanted to see Joker be successful he has given a good portion of his life to the University of Kentucky. IMO the best thing that could have happened to football in the long term was having a homer turn the program around.

blueboss
11-04-2012, 03:32 PM

Making the change now IMO is kind of a damage control thing, with the football program in the shambles that it's in at least the firing now lets the players and fans know that the AD's office acknowledges that fact and is eager to make a change before it gets worse.

Badinage
11-04-2012, 05:07 PM
Hope Mitch stays. He has been a good AD.

suncat05
11-04-2012, 05:13 PM
The very first person the UK powers-that-be need to talk with is Howard Schnellenberger. Put him in charge of the coaching search. DO NOT let Mitch Barnhart lead that search. Let HS do the heavy lifting. He's as much as said he'd like to do it, so let the guy that truly knows a thing or two about building football programs and winning National Championships with less lead this search.
Can we finally friggin' get serious about football now?
However, all of that being said, IF, and I do mean IF the UK AD, the UK admin, and the UKAA are NOT SERIOUS about doing what needs to be done to make Kentucky a factor in the SEC picture, then they may as well have left Joker in place if they are not going to give his successor the means to win football games through the availability of the proper resources to get this thing done. They have to go all in, or this is just going to be another exercise in futility, to be repeated again in another 3 or 4 years or so.
That's about all I'm going to say about this for now. I'm going to sit back and watch this play out. I just hope we're not all wasting our time waiting for something that may very well never happen if it is not given the real, proper chance to succeed.

ColonelSteve
11-04-2012, 05:22 PM
The very first person the UK powers-that-be need to talk with is Howard Schnellenberger. Put him in charge of the coaching search. DO NOT let Mitch Barnhart lead that search. Let HS do the heavy lifting. He's as much as said he'd like to do it, so let the guy that truly knows a thing or two about building football programs and winning National Championships with less lead this search.
Can we finally friggin' get serious about football now?
However, all of that being said, IF, and I do mean IF the UK AD, the UK admin, and the UKAA are NOT SERIOUS about doing what needs to be done to make Kentucky a factor in the SEC picture, then they may as well have left Joker in place if they are not going to give his successor the means to win football games through the availability of the proper resources to get this thing done. They have to go all in, or this is just going to be another exercise in futility, to be repeated again in another 3 or 4 years or so.
That's about all I'm going to say about this for now. I'm going to sit back and watch this play out. I just hope we're not all wasting our time waiting for something that may very well never happen if it is not given the real, proper chance to succeed.

Lets not forget too, Cal is friends with Mike Tomlin, if Barnhart was smart, he would ask both of them for references since they both have VERY powerful voices

ColonelSteve
11-04-2012, 05:46 PM
Dick Gabriel on Barnharts thought process

Then Barnhart left the coaching box and walked toward me. “I’ve been doing this a long time,” I said, referring to my job as the sidelines reporter for the UK football radio network. “I’ve never seen anything like this.”

Barnhart said, “You know, there comes a point where you want to say, ‘I get it. We’re not going to have a good football team this year. Could you please stop hurting our players?’ “ Perhaps he was sending his pleas to the football gods, to karma, the Almighty – whoever was toying with the fortunes of the Wildcats.

And then he said, referring to the injuries, “How can I evaluate this staff?” indicating to me that, unlike what a lot of the pundits had assured us, he had yet to make up his mind on the future of his head coach.

But he also indicated that he knew economics would play a large role in his decision-making process. More and more fans were showing up disguised as empty seats. It hurt UK’s take only at the concession stands and some walk-up business at the ticket office. For the most part, seats have been sold – for this year. But prospects for 2013 season ticket sales were tumbling by the week.

http://bigblueinsider.com/2012/11/phillips-wildcats-forced-barnharts-hand/

ColonelSteve
11-04-2012, 05:50 PM
John Calipari ‏@UKCoachCalipari

I feel for my good friend Joker. He and I talked earlier today and I told him that people just wanted to win more.

ColonelSteve
11-04-2012, 05:51 PM
John Calipari ‏@UKCoachCalipari

That doesn't mean they don't love him, because they still do. Everybody does. I reminded him that I've been fired before.

Badinage
11-04-2012, 06:15 PM
Let's let Howard be the ex-UL coach and let UK hire its new coach. Cannot remember the favors Howard has done for UK over the years. Not sure why Howard would be a good consultant for UK.

ColonelSteve
11-04-2012, 08:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4CtFVK0vnQ&feature=plcp

SalsaKat
11-05-2012, 02:48 PM

Joker Phillips will coach the remaining two games of the season vs Samford and at Tennessee.

ColonelSteve
11-05-2012, 07:16 PM

Joker Phillips will coach the remaining two games of the season vs Samford and at Tennessee.

Then Commonwealth needs to be full against Samford to give Joker a great big "Good job good effort" standing ovation...after all he is still a valued member of Big Blue Nation and while this firing is needed, it still feels like a death in the family because of how much he cherishes this program