PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday Mitch Barnhart said UK football wasn't where we wanted it yet

Darrell KSR
11-04-2012, 09:18 AM
Is it now?

During the talk he gave, he said UK football had "stubbed its toes" but that we would get it figured out.

How?

I had young clients I represented in a business where they could make a lot of money. Young, to me, is now anything under 50, by the way. These guys were in their early 30's.

We were meeting and they were telling me about how their revenue was going to progress *if* they could sell to a select group of customers. The select group, however, was tied in heavily with their competitor, and I was concerned about their willingness to leave a bigger competitor.

I expressed that concern, and what their backup plan was.

"Balls to the wall," they told me. "We'll go balls to the wall and figure out how to sell more to others.'

Two months later, they were applying for an SBA loan they did not think they would have to get because they weren't getting sales to those customers. I did not ask how they put "balls to the wall" in their business plan such that it would be readable by the lender as a sound business plan.

I view the "we'll figure it out" in the same vein.

That's not a plan.

Oh--six months later, my clients were out of business.

So is Kentucky football, balls to the wall, or figuring it out.

Catonahottinroof
11-04-2012, 09:26 AM
In medical terms, dd the patient bleed out from a stubbed toe? Of more importance, did his insurance (revenue sharing) pay up?

Catfan73
11-04-2012, 11:36 AM
Just lip service. Tell the masses what they want to hear, then ignore the actual problem. As you illustrated Darrell, a tried-and-true recipe for disaster.