PDA

View Full Version : Fraud/theft of money

suncat05
09-18-2015, 11:33 AM
On Wednesday, my son had to file a fraud/theft complaint because some azzholes(s) have stolen $1300 from his bank account here, but whoever they are that stole his information, they got it while he was in Gainesville.
We don't know "who" yet, but we know the when & where & times of withdrawals.
We already closed out that account and started him a new one, but he is ticked off. And I don't blame him. But, he is going to get his money back, the bank will take care of that.
The bank will hopefully prosecute this like they should. But as usual, with crimes of this nature, the victims don't get the satisfaction that they should because the laws on this type of fri.e just are not tough enough on the offenders. And all prosecutors want is another conviction on their monthly statistics sheet so they can claim they're "tough on crime" when they take that leap up the non-working political food chain.
These types of criminals are stealing innocent people blind, and very little is done about it in the overall big picture.
Like I said, the punishment is never tough enough.

CitizenBBN
09-18-2015, 12:16 PM
I doubt anyone wants me in charge of sentencing, I would bring back flogging for property crimes and work up from there. I can't stand thieves and the like, I'd make Singapore look iffy on crime if I were in charge.

I won't violate civil rights to catch people but once we've caught them and guilty is established there would be he'll to pay. Actually what I'd bring back is work gangs. Stole 1300 from someone? You get to work it off digging ditches.

KSRBEvans
09-18-2015, 12:42 PM
There's a trend away from incarcerating non-violent criminals. IMHO it emboldens people to do things like this.

suncat05
09-18-2015, 01:21 PM
There's a trend away from incarcerating non-violent criminals. IMHO it emboldens people to do things like this.

And THAT is exactly what I was talking about.

PedroDaGr8
09-18-2015, 03:37 PM
And THAT is exactly what I was talking about.

There are two sides to this coin. There is also the argument that incarcerating non-violent criminals is MUCH more likely to turn them into violent criminals than it is to prevent them from re-offending. I'm not sure of the statistics for the adult population, but this has been shown to be true time and again for adolescent populations.

In the end, I am not arguing one way or another, I just enjoy playing devils advocate sometimes :evilgrin0007:

dan_bgblue
09-18-2015, 08:20 PM
I am sure there are plenty of big rocks somewhere that need to be made smaller

http://venturebeat.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/chaingang1.jpg

TNCat
09-18-2015, 09:33 PM
The reality is that most petty theft crimes are done by folks needing money to fuel their drug habit. I had my vehicle broken into last May and spoke with the police detective who came to investigate. His estimate was that 90% of theft cases involve drugs. The guy who stole from me pawned some of my stuff which I was able to identify. He really had no way of getting out of the charges and plead guilty. He was deemed a career offender and will do 3-5 years.

I understand the desire to not severely punish folks for non-violent crimes but if you don't deal with the core problem, the criminal activity won't stop.

jazyd
09-18-2015, 10:49 PM
As long as there is no strong punishment the criminals will continue on their way. Much like the moms who come in our store and tell their child not to do something, 2 min later precious does it agin and mom says again not to do it. The child knows there is no meaning behind the words

Same with our justice situation. How often do we hear that a criminal has been arrested 8 previous times but never goes to jail and suddenly they committ a big one and momma says her 'baby' would not shoot someone with picture showing her ' baby' holding the gun.

They need to have some type punishment, community service, dig ditches, clean prison crap rooms, lose a drivers license, pick up trash on hwy....they do that here in my county with county prisoners, male or female....and need to be told and put on their record after first offense it is automatic 6 months in county jail for any offense.

The one who stole sun cats sons money should have to repay every cent by working it off with the check being delivered weekly to your son. That amount is a felony. The bank should not have to pay it off once the person is caught because it ends up costing all of us. Make the criminal work at the bank, cleaning floors, bathrooms, taking out trash, cutting the grass, whatever needs to be done. Bank pays him, then the check is deposited into your sons account.

I have had 2 credit cards stolen, merchant loses, credit card company loses.

bigsky
09-19-2015, 09:26 AM
I've always advocated for prison time for embezzlers. I also like "hard labor" for jail terms, but it is expensive. People are in prison for violent crimes and property crimes and meth and heroin. Put it out front, an embezzler goes in with those men or women, and remove that temptation.