PDA

View Full Version : Personal trainer/fitness/diet questions

Darrell KSR
09-15-2015, 08:42 PM
Almost 15-year old son, plays soccer (club, high school), maybe basketball as well. Still considering. Eats terribly, so all the advice about eating a well-balanced diet is appreciated, but not very useful. It is what it is.

He trains 4x a week with soccer (one is conditioning only, just 60 minutes that day) and does some mild weight training and conditioning once a week, twice a week if the soccer drops to 3x. During summer does weight training and conditioning 3x a week (interestingly enough, his trainer is a former Jacksonville State quarterback--Auburn fans would appreciate that).

Sounds more strenuous than it is. The weight/conditioning is limited to an hour and carefuly monitored. The soccer training is generally only 90 minutes a session. But it is something, and he has been working on developing a very poor upper body strength and improving his core, mainly. It has been terrific in a short period of time (about six months).

I've been reading a lot about protein he should be eating and he just doesn't get enough. Do you guys have some advice on supplements we might consider, whey protein, etc.? He takes daily vitamins, but eats poorly for the most part. I know he needs something additional.

Help!

badrose
09-16-2015, 08:58 AM
How motivated is he?

Darrell KSR
09-16-2015, 10:49 AM
Not as much as he should be, and I don't push him.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

KentuckyWildcat
09-16-2015, 11:13 AM
Glutamine, creatine, and protein did a lot for me. Amount of protein is not the only important thing. Timing of the consumption is important as well. He needs to consume protein anytime after he "breaks down" is muscles.

You will read 1-2 grams of protein per one pound of body weight. Unfortunately my stomach could never handle anywhere near that. But adding glutamine and protein after exercise did wonders.

I haven't taken anything in a while but the GNC stuff worked well for me compared to price of other brands. And unless something has changed, they all taste bad despite what the label says. Some of the bars taste ok but they can also have a lot of soy. Soy is okay, but men want more whey. At 15, I would probably just add whey protein. I took some other stuff, but I wouldn't let my 15 year take some of that stuff.

KentuckyWildcat
09-16-2015, 11:14 AM
Probably nothing you didn't know already, but that is my small amount of wisdom.

PedroDaGr8
09-16-2015, 08:58 PM
Glutamine, creatine, and protein did a lot for me. Amount of protein is not the only important thing. Timing of the consumption is important as well. He needs to consume protein anytime after he "breaks down" is muscles.

You will read 1-2 grams of protein per one pound of body weight. Unfortunately my stomach could never handle anywhere near that. But adding glutamine and protein after exercise did wonders.

I haven't taken anything in a while but the GNC stuff worked well for me compared to price of other brands. And unless something has changed, they all taste bad despite what the label says. Some of the bars taste ok but they can also have a lot of soy. Soy is okay, but men want more whey. At 15, I would probably just add whey protein. I took some other stuff, but I wouldn't let my 15 year take some of that stuff.

Protein and Creatine are the only two major ones to have consistently shown effect in real research studies. Protein intake should be 0.68-1g/lb of body weight (1g/lb is now considered the upper bound). Note, if he suddenly bumps up his protein intake he will likely have protein farts due to the body taking time to ramp up protease production. Let's just say they can clear a room, peel the paint off the walls, set the mattress on fire AND scare the dog from ever coming home. They pass within a week or so. Optimum Nutrition is well thought of and a 5lb container runs around $55, though you can often get it for cheaper at Costco.

As for vitamins, study after study has shown that all they are good for is giving you really expensive pee.

HerbTarlek
09-19-2015, 05:25 PM
Make sure he eats breakfast. Big breakfast. I'd recommend 5 whole eggs, bacon, toast, and 5 oz black beans, strained, warmed, with cumin, dash of vinegar, oregano and black pepper to taste. It will dramatically improve his performance and mental acuity in all pursuits, academic and athletic. Add (really) hot sauce for additional metabolic acceleration. Also, grapefruit juice in conjunction with caffeine helps burn fat for energy. And, water. As cold as possible. 32 ozs within 30 minutes of waking up. And then as much as possible throughout the day.

Next, I can recommend myofusion as a supplement. Balanced carbs and protein and really tastes like a chocolate milkshake. Also, whole milk. Lots of whole milk. When I was rock climbing, I used to climb for a three hour session, then I'd drive to the grocery, get a half gallon of whole milk and a bag of pepperidge farm mint Milano cookies and finish the whole mess before I got home. Then eat dinner. But that's the only time you should eat like that. Within a half hour of finishing a strenuous workout. Not jogging 2 miles. More like a really heavy leg day, or whatever the soccer equivalent is. But consuming lots of protein and carbs, protein in liquid form only, ie milk or supplement, is necessary to take fullest advantage of your workout. Solid protein, ie steak, doesn't absorb quickly enough.

Darrell KSR
09-21-2015, 05:28 PM
Thanks, great stuff!

kingcat
09-21-2015, 06:53 PM
First breakfast: Coffee black...and lots of donuts heavily glazed.

Second breakfast,. eat the remaining donuts, then to Hardees for a Big breakfast.

Lunch: ..four Reeses cups untilu have the energy to trek to Mickey D's for a Large combo.

Supper: Beans, fried cornbread, fried taters, slaw, deviled eggs and choice of meat. Slovakian sausage and Kraut works well.
Skip desert and have thirds.. (unless you use a serving plate intially, then have seconds)

8:00 Snack..fresh buttered popcorn w/melted American cheese and your favorite evening beverage.

No midnight snacks!! You'll oversleep and miss first breakfast.

.You'll live to be nearly sixty, that's all I can vouch for.