PDA

View Full Version : When do you start your bucket list?

Catonahottinroof
08-19-2012, 03:47 PM
Something discussed in church today. When do you start your list? When do you start clicking off the items on that list?

CGWildcat
08-19-2012, 04:37 PM
Mine is a "living document". I add to it when a thought occurs, and cross off as I accomplish.

dan_bgblue
08-19-2012, 07:58 PM
I'm 58 and I started a list when I was in my teens. I am about 60% thru the list, and am sure I will not complete it. (big list, and I know I won't make it to the moon)

Like Coastie, I check them off when I have been there and done that. Top 3 left are visiting Alaska and Australia, and hooking a blue marlin and getting it to the boat.

jazyd
08-19-2012, 09:59 PM
started mine a few years ago, and have done several since but they aren't major ones. Went to the Canadian Rockies, awesome, did Canada via a cruise, Yellowstone, Jackson Hole, Grand Canyon, FF and national championship, but still want to do College World Series, a deer hunt to the Milk River in Montana, play golf at Augusta and Pebble Peach...neither of those will happen....but I really don't have many other 'would love to do' things left. pretty simple really.

MickintheHam
08-20-2012, 09:31 AM
My problem with the bucket list is that once I go someplace I want to go back again and again. If I take one more trip to the American Southwest it will become my lifestyle list. I'll never finish mine and I only have about 8 or 9 on the list.

Darrell KSR
09-05-2012, 07:16 AM
Have not started mine yet, and I'm 52.

I figure when my children are all out of my house and finished with school, good Lord willing, I can start to think about a bucket list. Right now, I'm living my bucket list daily.

jazyd
09-05-2012, 10:21 PM
I messed up last night, googled the Glacier National Park, now I gotta go, it is now in the bucket list.

Darrell KSR
09-05-2012, 11:31 PM
Jazy, Pebble Beach is very doable. Public course, anybody can play. If you can do Yellowstone, you can do Pebble Beach!

Over a decade ago I got a call from a friend asking me to fill in as a 4th in a 4-man golf scramble. I said "sure," sounded like fun, although I had not been playing much golf. I thought he was talking about a day tournament here locally. Turned out they had won the State of Alabama Cadillac Scramble, and had a player drop out for the national competition--held at Pebble Beach, Spanish Bay, and Old Del Monte in January. We added Spyglass Hill to our venture, and we stayed there a week, and competed as the representatives from the State of Alabama. Just dumb luck that I had a little extra money and a little extra time--I have neither now--back then and allowed me to go.

My highlights included hitting the first tee ball of the tournament in front of a large crowd -- and not whiffing -- stroked into the middle of a dense fog at Spanish Bay, somehow managing to hit the middle of the fairway; making a 15-footer for par on # 18 at Pebble Beach on the day we played our own ball for an 89, playing from the tips, making the first birdie of our foursome on # 2 at Spyglass Hill, making a 45' putt over two levels at Spanish Bay for a birdie in the tournament (#$@% Frank, our # 1 player said about the guy who dropped out who I replaced), and the final putt of the tournament made to salvage a 69 at Pebble Beach, putting last, to make sure we shot in the 60's all 3 days (I putted last), finishing in the top 20. I played with two members of UAB's golf team (our "A" and "B" players, and another "high school" golfer like myself as the "C" player).

The day at Pebble Beach was fantastic. The wind roared, it rained, and it felt like "real" Pebble Beach golf. I can't remember now what we hit off # 7, the little downhill par 3 into the ocean, but the wind was pushing against us off the tee, and it seemed like a long iron on a downhill, just over 100 yard par 3.

Alas, I did not play well. But picking out those "moments" over a several day period give me great joy in reliving them from time to time. I played three years of high school golf, but nothing could match the excitement I felt looking out over the links course at Spanish Bay on # 1, with my name being announced, and a good solid 200 people or so around the tee, looking out into the fog. I wish I could do it again.

thedeerehunter
09-06-2012, 07:30 AM
Checked a biggie off my list back in April when I was in attendance to see my Cats win a national championship.

A couple others include a whitetail hunt with Hadley Creek Outfitters in Pike Co, IL (and like jazy I'd loooove a Milk River hunt as well), and a trip to New Zealand for me and the wife. Her Granny is from there and she's always wanted to go.

jazyd
09-06-2012, 07:57 AM
Darrell, you forgot to mention that you are a lawyer and I am a very small business owner and there is no way I am paying $600 to play golf at Pebble. You and I are not in the same tax bracket, I don't make enough to pay for college costs for all your kids let alone have any left over to pay the basic bills like mort, vehicle, insurance, gas and food. :)

Darrell KSR
09-06-2012, 08:57 AM
Jazy, we got a special deal that week. IIRC, it was "only" $200. I knew it had gone up, but didn't know that much. Wow.

But I'm telling ya--I couldn't go today. I was lucky the stars aligned with extra money then and extra time.

jazyd
09-07-2012, 09:27 AM
I would pay $200 but that would be tops. I did pay that in Banff Canada when we were there on vacation, but had to play in tennis shoes as I didn't want to pay another $50 to rent shoes.

Jazy, we got a special deal that week. IIRC, it was "only" $200. I knew it had gone up, but didn't know that much. Wow.

But I'm telling ya--I couldn't go today. I was lucky the stars aligned with extra money then and extra time.

ukcatlvr
09-12-2012, 12:13 PM
I created mine years ago.

Darrell KSR
09-13-2012, 08:59 AM
I created mine years ago.

Oh, that's funny.

Darrell KSR
09-13-2012, 09:09 AM
I would pay $200 but that would be tops. I did pay that in Banff Canada when we were there on vacation, but had to play in tennis shoes as I didn't want to pay another $50 to rent shoes.

My favorite course here is Ross Bridge, which I rarely play (I rarely play anywhere). Just a standard, public court on the Robert Trent Jones trail here in Birmingham. Rack rate? $136. Not til November 12th do they drop it to $96.

I used to play golf for $2.50. Ridiculous prices these days.

I just went to the Pebble Beach Golf Links page. This is what it would cost today to play the same golf I played a few years ago (for much less):

Pebble Beach $990 (2 rounds)
Spanish Bay $520 (2 rounds)
Spyglass Hill $360 (1 round)
Del Monte $110 (1 round)

Total $1980.00. Six rounds of golf. Crazy.

One of my rounds at Pebble Beach was "free," as was one round at Spanish Bay, and one round at Del Monte. We had to stay at the resort at Spanish Bay, per tournament rules, and that was expensive, but discounted. So we were only out of pocket one round at Pebble Beach, one round at Spanish Bay, and one round at Spyglass Hill for the week. And we got discounted prices for all three back then because of the tournament.

I really made a wise decision. I couldn't go play them today at those rates.

jazyd
09-13-2012, 10:02 AM
I have added another thing I want to do, go to a football game in Lexington and tailgate with Micks group. Never been to Commonwealth and would love to see if it was as much fun as we had in the old place, bet it isn't. LOL

Doc
09-13-2012, 03:34 PM
I started my bucket list on the day I got married. It left me something to look forward to!

Doc
09-13-2012, 03:37 PM
Have not started mine yet, and I'm 52.

I'm surprised. You look much older (LOL)..................

In all honesty, I don't have a list per se. I do have things I still want to do. The "top" right now is go diving with the great white sharks either in Australia or S. Africa. The second is writing my last check for my kids education.