PDA

View Full Version : Dan, Thumbs up for Beech Bend Park again

Darrell KSR
09-08-2015, 07:26 PM
We were in Nashville last weekend and my daughter was going to a play with her sister Sunday. So my wife and two sons and I were looking for something to do, and we drove to Beech Bend.
2nd time we've been there, and could not be more pleased. It's not Six Flags, but thank goodness for that. Crowds are small, lines non-existent. Want to ride the Kentucky Rumbler wooden Rollercoaster a half dozen times with no wait? Sure. At times, our family was the only ones on it.

There is probably 6-8 rides that you'd see at a six flags, and none as large as the largest rides. But wait 3 minutes while the riders before you disembark and you climb in, instead of an hour, 90 minutes, or more wait for that one ride? Yessir.
Oh - and I love that they don't try to gouge you with concessions and such. Want an ice water? Free. They even have a pitcher of ice water in the arcade area with cups you can our yourself.

Nachos maybe $3, same for hot dogs, etc. Soft drinks $2 unless you want the big one for $7 where you get $1 refills all year long.

We stopped and had an early lunch at 11:30 at Wendy's, spent $20 for lunch, and got coupon there for $5 each per person off our admission ($20). Score!

Haven't done the small water park part yet, although we brought swimwear. Had plenty to do in enjoying the rides they had. And that included a 23-year old, a nearly 15-year old, and their parents.

Very nice little park. Big fan. If you're a big time Six Flags thrill seeker type, you will be woefully disappointed. But if you like Michael Jackson's favorite ride at Nederland (watch it - Sea Dragon), a very good wooden Rollercoaster, and good to excellent rides like Vortex and an air race new ride, together with one that flipped you 23 times during the ride (I counted), Zero G gravity drop ride that was as good as the Space shot at Huntsville space and rocket Center and not far from Acrophobia at Six Flags, you'll appreciate it immensely. Not to mention that because it was so devoid of lines, everybody was laid back and relaxed, including the operators, who were having a great time, too.
Nice hidden gem in Bowling Green. Everybody has different tastes, but we all love it and will be back on one of our Nashville trips.

dan_bgblue
09-08-2015, 08:26 PM
Thanks. Bowling is rightfully proud of the park. The water park is really nice for all ages, the camping is great, and no matter what you do, it does not break the bank for a whole lot of fun. It is a little more crowded when the kids are out of school in the summer, but nothing like the major parks.

They also have major drag racing events and a lot of amateur racing as well. Has a great rep for a drag strip.

Glad you enjoyed your visit!

KentuckyWildcat
09-08-2015, 08:44 PM
Sadly I have never been there. I should be kicked for that.

CitizenBBN
09-08-2015, 08:46 PM
Drag racing? I'm there. I'll get the slicks on the car...

Darrell KSR
09-08-2015, 09:04 PM
Sadly I have never been there. I should be kicked for that.

It's not a kiddie park, but has plenty for the small kiddies. And IMHO, plenty for the teenagers and young adults, and young at heart. I'm always concerned that somebody will go based on my recommendation, and they'll be disappointed, but I'm a big fan. The first time we went we were looking at colleges in Nashville six years ago, and it was in June, with crowds more than Sunday, but still very nice. I figure if the "long wait" is 15 minutes, you're doing great, and that's what I remember at the bad time for the most popular ride.

Dan, I don't know what they were doing, but we heard the race cars, and it added a cool factor to the whole thing, too. And we rode gocarts the day before, but it has a cool go-cart track, with racetrack like embankments and curves, and I bet youngsters would have a blast with it. I'm sorry we didn't do it. It was $5 to ride those. We almost did on the way out, but it was after 6 and we had to get back to Nashville for dinner.

Bowling Green has every right to be proud of it. They do it right.

KentuckyWildcat
09-08-2015, 09:14 PM
I'm always concerned that somebody will go based on my recommendation, and they'll be disappointed, but I'm a big fan.

I'm only an hour from there and we are in Bowling Green all of the time. Even know some of the family that own it. I guess we just take it for granted that we will go someday. Your evaluation seems to be spot from what everyone here says. Most say it is a "really nice park for it's size".

kingcat
09-08-2015, 09:59 PM
I grew up going to BBP. My grandpa and uncles were drag racers in the fifties and sixties. "Pappy" Saltsman, and he had a friend there at the time named Pappy Greenfield who was even more a regular as I recall.

They ran a 58 Chevy as I remember and later a 63 Sport Fury.

Anyway,,,I hope you guys visited Cheneys Dairy and Jacksons Orchard while down that way??? Best Ice cream and fruit in the State.
Had me some awesome peaches last weekend.

..did I mention Cheneys ice cream? Mmmm..

KentuckyWildcat
09-08-2015, 10:15 PM

The moo pie is the best thing ever

Darrell KSR
09-08-2015, 11:05 PM
Oh, mannnnn....now you tell me

Next time. For sure.
I grew up going to BBP. My grandpa and uncles were drag racers in the fifties and sixties. "Pappy" Saltsman, and he had a friend there at the time named Pappy Greenfield who was even more a regular as I recall.

They ran a 58 Chevy as I remember and later a 63 Sport Fury.

Anyway,,,I hope you guys visited Cheneys Dairy and Jacksons Orchard while down that way??? Best Ice cream and fruit in the State.
Had me some awesome peaches last weekend.