PDA

View Full Version : Teen encourages boyfriend to commit suicide

Darrell KSR
09-02-2015, 09:23 AM
Have you followed this story?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/08/31/its-now-or-never-texts-reveal-teens-efforts-to-pressure-boyfriend-into-suicide/?tid=sm_fb

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

suncat05
09-02-2015, 09:36 AM
This girl has no respect for human life at all. And then, after the fact, she champions mental health issues? Nope, don't see it. She's a opportunist of the worst sort. She belongs in prison, out of the general society. JMHO, based on what I read.

suncat05
09-02-2015, 10:46 AM
Matter of fact, if indeed the texts and any other accounts of this case are factually correct, this girl is a cold-hearted wench that does not need to be living amongst us.
If she's capable and willing to commit acts like these, what other evil is she capable of?

Darrell KSR
09-02-2015, 11:18 AM
I read all of it and listened to Nancy Grace last night while running. I don't remember ever being so mad. It makes me ill.

jazyd
09-02-2015, 02:40 PM
she needs to go to jail for the rest of her natural life..and enjoy being done in by big black women....and then she will more than likely end up in hell. Reading her text messages it appears to me that she was enjoying torturing him and liked the power she had over him. She is a murderer, and then tried to use his death to raise money, which imo, she would take the money for herself to spend.

She is cold blooded, heartless indivdual.

CitizenBBN
09-02-2015, 07:25 PM
Pretty simple IMO. She's a psychopath. Incapable of feeling remorse, highly manipulative, a compulsion to control others.

it's just rare to get such a full view of one in action, but they're out there. Most are just way better at hiding it.

Darrell KSR
09-03-2015, 10:16 AM
Pretty simple IMO. She's a psychopath. Incapable of feeling remorse, highly manipulative, a compulsion to control others.

it's just rare to get such a full view of one in action, but they're out there. Most are just way better at hiding it.

Good analysis. We just saw what psychiatrists who deal in this level of psychotic disorders see.

Next question.

Is the better course to treat this person in a mental institution, or imprison her?

And a byproduct of that question is if we are capable of treating her in a mental institution.

dan_bgblue
09-03-2015, 12:05 PM
None of the above. Tie her to a tree in the forest, slather on some honey, and hang a few slices of bacon from her neck and let nature deal with her.

Darrell KSR
09-03-2015, 12:15 PM
I'm probably wrong, but I don't think there is a treatment for psycopaths, is there?

suncat05
09-03-2015, 12:22 PM
None of the above. Tie her to a tree in the forest, slather on some honey, and hang a few slices of bacon from her neck and let nature deal with her.

In a perfect world..........

PedroDaGr8
09-03-2015, 01:01 PM
I'm probably wrong, but I don't think there is a treatment for psycopaths, is there?

Many/most (not sure of the percentages) psychopaths, oddly enough aren't violent, they just lack the ability to feel empathy. Many have a basic understanding of the concept of right and wrong, but purely in an intellectual sense. They have no emotions attachment to these values. To them it is simply something to know, kinda like water is wet and the air is mostly nitrogen. Most have no desire to do harm to others, but they feel nothing when harm is done either. All of that being said, there is only minimal treatment of psychopathy. Positive reward based therapy has shown some promise but only a bit , punishment based therapy appears to actually have a negative effect, more or less guaranteeing psychopathy in adults. In a study of criminal youth that score severe on the psychopathy scale (basically guaranteed to be adult psychopaths and since they are in jail), a comparison was done between punishment and positive reward. 98% of the youth in the punishment category reoffended and were arrested as adults, with 16 homicides committed by the group. On the other hand in the positive reward category, 64% reoffended and no homicides were committed. A roughly 1/3 reduction but still a majority reoffended.

As for the science behind psychopathy, it has been shown that psychopaths have reduced grey matter in the paralimbic system. The constitutes a group of interconnecting brain structures that are involved in the functions of emotion processing, goal setting, motivation and self-control. So not only do they lack empathy, they often lack the internal self-control to mitigate risk. It is a heavily discussed and researched topic without much good news unfortunately.

suncat05
09-03-2015, 02:35 PM
Pedro, while that very well may be the case with her, because of her repeated actions towards this young man and her insistence that he should commit suicide, it doesn't make her any less culpable. She could very well have prevented his suicide, but she repeatedly cajoled this young man into finally doing it.
And if she is indeed a psycopath, then there is no place out here with us for her in society, as she will continue to victimize whoever she can for her own personal satisfaction.

PedroDaGr8
09-03-2015, 02:53 PM
Pedro, while that very well may be the case with her, because of her repeated actions towards this young man and her insistence that he should commit suicide, it doesn't make her any less culpable. She could very well have prevented his suicide, but she repeatedly cajoled this young man into finally doing it.
And if she is indeed a psycopath, then there is no place out here with us for her in society, as she will continue to victimize whoever she can for her own personal satisfaction.

I didn't bring this up to evoke sympathy for her. She is a monster and evil in every sense of the word. Just talking in a more abstract strictly academic sense.

suncat05
09-03-2015, 03:22 PM
I understood your points, Pedro. We both view this the same way. And I do agree with what you said.

CitizenBBN
09-03-2015, 08:06 PM
Darrell, as Pedro summarized there's no real treatment. She's shown that she can't live within accepted society, she needs to be removed from it and permanently so. She can't feel any empathy for others, and while she's "crazy" from that standpoint, she can form the state of mind to choose to harm others or not, and chose to harm one.

She has to be punished for the crime, but also has no way to be reformed, so I see no reason to let her back to do more harm.

Darrell KSR
09-03-2015, 09:11 PM
Darrell, as Pedro summarized there's no real treatment. She's shown that she can't live within accepted society, she needs to be removed from it and permanently so. She can't feel any empathy for others, and while she's "crazy" from that standpoint, she can form the state of mind to choose to harm others or not, and chose to harm one.

She has to be punished for the crime, but also has no way to be reformed, so I see no reason to let her back to do more harm.

Not to mention that she knew it was wrong, and that if discovered, she would get in trouble for it. It's more than just lacking empathy here.

CitizenBBN
09-03-2015, 10:05 PM
Not to mention that she knew it was wrong, and that if discovered, she would get in trouble for it. It's more than just lacking empathy here.

Exactly. She was able to form all the requirements of mens rea even though her lack of a conscience made it easier to commit the act.

Being a psychopath makes it far easier to harm others, it doesn't make it a requirement. She's guilty of the crime and her lack of empathy makes her too high a risk of repeating this or similar harm for her to ever get out, at least not in a completely unmonitored way