PDA

View Full Version : Man divorces/sues wife over ugly baby...and wins

ColonelSteve
11-02-2012, 10:03 PM
http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/national/man-sues-ugly-baby-case-man-sues-wife-over-ugly-baby-woman-ordered-to-pay-120000-judgment

uklandrn
12-11-2012, 11:04 AM
She is better off without him! He needs a huge dose of Mondo Reality!

Darrell KSR
12-13-2012, 07:52 PM
So wrong on so many fronts.

How sad that the baby will grow up with her Dad having said those things about her.

How sad that the judicial system is being used to resolve such an issue.

How sad that a woman would resort to $100,000 of plastic surgery.

How sad that the woman would keep it a secret from her husband-to-be.

Just wrong on so many fronts.

Sent using Forum Runner. All typos excused.

uklandrn
12-13-2012, 08:16 PM
How incredible a doctor would do $100,000 worth of plastic surgery on anyone! Unless she was born with a congenital anomaly - NO ONE needs that much surgery!

PedroDaGr8
12-13-2012, 08:54 PM
I saw this story way before, this is basically one of those situations where you take something to its logical extreme.

In many SEAsian cultures genetics (or as is often the case psuedogenetics) plays a big roll in suitability as a match. Things like attractiveness are considered indicators of genetic health. Many people don't realize this but S. Korea is more or less the Venezuela of the Asian world. Rediculous amounts of plastic surgery and from an early age. Everything from making the eyes more western looking, to rhinoplasty to things we would consider rediculous here. For example, breaking the bones in the legs to stretch them out so the girl becomes taller.

On an additional front, love relationships are not exactly as we consider them here. For them, wealth is a 100% valid criterion to include when a girl is evaluating a match. The flipside being that guys can 100% evaluate a girl based on looks, body type, personality etc. Girls are expected to still be docile, petite creatures and if you don't fit that bill there is a good chance the guy you can marry isn't going to be able to provide a decent living.

Darrell KSR
12-13-2012, 09:59 PM
If you look at it and take out the emotional element, considering what Pedro said, you have an "investment," if you will, in the marriage and the products of that marriage. As a contract matter, is it caveat emptor, "buyer beware"--or is it suppression of a material fact amounting to fraud in the inducement of the contract?

I've been approached about teaching a contracts course--this would make a good hypothetical. As they say, truth is stranger than fiction anyway.

I do want to modify what I said about the $100k of plastic surgery, though. As Niki said, if there's a congenital deformity or something like that, I don't have a problem with whatever the expense is to help the person live a normal, productive life. I hold my same opinion, though, if it's $100k worth of "artificial enhancements." I think it's just sad; I'm not saying people shouldn't do it or it's not their right to do it. Just sad.

CitizenBBN
12-13-2012, 10:01 PM
For them, wealth is a 100% valid criterion to include when a girl is evaluating a match. The flipside being that guys can 100% evaluate a girl based on looks, body type, personality etc.

Are we still talking about ROK or us? ;)

I know what you're saying, but if your'e a guy if you can't be handsome be rich and if you have to choose go with rich IMO. Definitely more of a difference for women between cultures where more self assured characteristics are more accepted by men in the West.

It is interesting how much of the surgery there is for more Western features. Watch the Gangnum Style video and notice the redheads and other things that are clearly strong western influences in female appearance. Japanese animation, both clean and non-clean kinds, shows women with large round eyes and lots of other Western features. It's clearly seen as very desirable. Also a strong desire for youthful women, to be polite about it, but I won't go there in this thread.

But the rich thing for men seems universal, though I agree a more openly accepted thing in other cultures than in the US. In the US we act like it's not as important, but it's still very important. You don't get a trophy wife working the fry station, they're just more honest in other countries.

Makes genetic sense. For 50,000+ years humans have evolved with women selecting for ability to provide for their them and their children. Men have selected for female health, ability to provide children and raise them. 50,000 years of conditioning and selection won't change with a few hundred years of industrial age prosperity or with 60 years of women working and surviving outside the home and independently.

CitizenBBN
12-13-2012, 10:05 PM
Darrell it sure is a sad state of affairs but it would make a great hypothetical. This is about appearance, but what if it was a genetic defect likely to be passed on to children that she was aware of that wasn't disclosed? Lots of interesting class discussion in this case. Would have been fun to have it in my B-law classes.

PedroDaGr8
12-14-2012, 12:24 PM
How incredible a doctor would do $100,000 worth of plastic surgery on anyone! Unless she was born with a congenital anomaly - NO ONE needs that much surgery!

Before:
After:

CitizenBBN
12-15-2012, 12:55 AM
OK, I've changed my mind. $100K was a bargain.
:confused0053: