PDA

View Full Version : tv tech question

Doc
08-15-2015, 08:03 AM
My home theater receiver and direct TV receiver are both shot. Receiver fan went out and has been blowing channels for some time plus its a good 10 years old so time for a new one. My direct TV rec is also spotty and I'm due a free upgrade and its on the way. They guy who originally wired in my home theater 10 years ago well, I don't know what the freak he did. He had this thing wired to to do all kinds of crap and no exaggeration, there has to be no less than 50 cables coming into my AV room. Some have no clips, some have bare wires, etc.. but I do know that the connection to my TV is through cables that are "green", "blue" and "red" with the appropriate color coded connectors at the TV end. In my AV room there are 5 cables with the colors connectors of "green", "blue", "red", "black" and another "red" (in other words, I have an extra red and a black). I should not have any issue figuring out which red to use. But my dilemma comes with the receiver. My old receiver, they plugged into "output component), 3 slots color coded red/green/blue. New receiver doesn't have a component output.

http://img.ncix.com/images/96409_2.jpg

link to spec on rec if that helps (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-1015w-7-2-ch-4k-ultra-hd-and-3d-pass-through-a-v-home-theater-receiver-black/4419006.p?id=1219098157631&skuId=4419006)

I don't have an HDMI cable to my TV. The AV room is on one side of the living room, the cable run thru a beam in the ceiling, down thru the concrete block around the chimney along a course of about 75 feet so its not like simply spicing an HDMI cable to one of the cables and pulling.

My Direct TV rec isn't here yet, arrives early next week and they will install but I think I suppose to have my audio portion up and ready for them. Any suggestions?

bigsky
08-15-2015, 08:10 AM
Well its time for an hdmi receiver. and an hdmi cable replacing the component cables (the red, green, blue, and whatever you use for sound (digital or light if its 5.1). One cable for four!

Doc
08-15-2015, 08:15 AM
No just throwing stuff out.

1) my CD/DVD player does not have an HDMI output so I don't see any way to connect it to the receiver? It appears the only method to connect to this receiver is by HDMI. (I've not yet purchased the receiver so I may need to go a different direction on that end. If so, no problem)

2) Can I go backwards and connect the TV to the Direct TV receiver but still get my sound thru the receiver?

3) can I run everything thru the CD/DVD player which has a component output? IE-satellite to direct TV box--(HDMI)--receiver -- (video to DVR, sound to speaker) --- DVR to TV?

bigsky
08-15-2015, 08:18 AM
You do have a limit to an hdmi run, but they do make ten meter ones and sell them on Amazon. I wonder where your guy got super long component cables-- made them himself, maybe?

I have an awesome old school Krell processor in the basement in a box. But, The limits of component processing have been long exceeded, even for a Krell.

bigsky
08-15-2015, 08:24 AM
I dont think you will have inputs in the cd/dvd to use it like a processor.

What is the sound cable between the dvd player and the receiver?

Doc
08-15-2015, 08:25 AM
The fried receiver was a Harman Kardon. Top of the line when I got it but its out lived its usefulness and time to head to a better place. I'm sure I'll have to call an electrician in to wire this damn thing in. Actually I've got one coming to do my bath remodel and I'll see if he can wire me in.

Doc
08-15-2015, 08:26 AM
I dont think you will have inputs in the cd/dvd to use it like a processor.

What is the sound cable between the dvd player and the receiver?

Currently, its just the old standard plugs. (red / white for video and yellow for audio). We maybe use it twice a year

bigsky
08-15-2015, 08:44 AM
Time for a house remodel!

You really dont want to buy anything new specifically to fit ten year old technology. Doc.

Doc
08-15-2015, 11:28 AM
Answer-to wireless. Went to pick up receiver. Cost for the HDMI cable was crazy expensive so I went with a wireless HDMI option. Cost was $200 for a plug in unit from rec to TV for up to 150 feet. Means no cables to run.

Also gave me the solution for the DVR. Just use the sat/cat jack (DUH)

bigsky
08-15-2015, 12:47 PM
Didnt even know that was an option. What resolution does wireless HDMI gove you?

Doc
08-15-2015, 01:39 PM

A transmitter that connects to my theater rec via HDMI and a paired receiver that connects to my TV via a HDMI. Pretty simple. Not sure how good the picture quality is yet as I'm short one HDMI cable to connect something (anything) to my theater receiver. I've got audio connection but no video. The video connection works because when I turn the volume up on the theater receiver it shows up on the screen so I have know I video connection.

Link (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/electronics-promotions/actiontec-mywirelesstv/pcmcat255300050039.c?id=pcmcat255300050039&ref=30&loc=KW-4325&ksid=341f79ee-5ce1-4d45-8268-8a9ca3a93adc&ksprof_id=16&ksaffcode=635769&ksdevice=c&gclid=CPnczozfq8cCFcEUHwodquIEVA)

PedroDaGr8
08-15-2015, 03:13 PM
To be honest, I would run the HDMI cable. It is a HUGE upgrade in signal clarity and quality. If the distance is too long, you can use HDMI over Ethernet converters (available on monoprice) which will run the HDMI signal over TWO ethernet cables for much longer distances (CAT 6 STP cables for maximum signal integrity). This is just my $0.02 cents. Another option is to purchase a component to HDMI converter but to be honest, at these distances you are getting significant signal degradation and are much better using digital (HDMI) for the transmission over these long distanes. Digital, being an on/odd type of approach is MUCH better suited for long distance data transmission than analog is. I know it is a PIA in the short term to convert over, but trust me it will be WELL worth it long term.

Currently, its just the old standard plugs. (red / white for video and yellow for audio). We maybe use it twice a year

You have those flipped, the red/white is audio (positive and negative respectively) while the yellow is video (called composite video because all signals are on single wire on one cable).

No just throwing stuff out.

1) my CD/DVD player does not have an HDMI output so I don't see any way to connect it to the receiver? It appears the only method to connect to this receiver is by HDMI. (I've not yet purchased the receiver so I may need to go a different direction on that end. If so, no problem)
I see a whole bunch of red/white plugs for audio input, that shouldn't be a problem. Pretty much almost every single plug (with the exception of 4-5) is for input only. The exceptions are the plugs with the white pattern around them, those are outputs.

2) Can I go backwards and connect the TV to the Direct TV receiver but still get my sound thru the receiver?
There is an HDMI pass-thru that plays the audio via the receiver and and passes the video the TV. This is the HDMI port on the right, with the white background and is called HDMI OUT/tv out :sign0141: Sometimes these pass both the audio and video on to the TV and you just turn the volume down on the television and strictly use the receiver to control volume levels.

3) can I run everything thru the CD/DVD player which has a component output? IE-satellite to direct TV box--(HDMI)--receiver -- (video to DVR, sound to speaker) --- DVR to TV?

No need, everything will go through your receiver just fine. New satellite to receiver via HDMI, HDMI output to TV for all video related functions. Every other audio that is NOT HDMI, use the red/white connectors on the back. There is a red/white input called CD/SA-CD which is what you would use for your CD player.

This receiver will do EXACTLY what you want.

Doc
08-15-2015, 04:39 PM
New question. If I get the wireless direct TV genie, can I return the wireless transmitter I just bought? Sounds like that connects to the TV in the same manner

Edit-nope. Talked to DTV. Wireless is satellite dish to receiver. Still need cable from rec to television which is what I need to replace

Doc
08-15-2015, 07:54 PM
Hot damn, it all worked. Rehooked everything up, including the old direct tv box which is still functional and it all working fine. Has a good enough picture. I don't notice any fuzz even up close and its a 70 inch 1080 so I'm good. Sound real clean too. Was a bit of a bitch to figure out the wire. Only issue I have is no picture on my DVD player. I have sound but no video. Also have the three remote deal but when the direct tv guy comes out for the new DVR, I'll have him program on the new universal.

Only bit that sucks is I'm losing a bunch of old UK games on the DVR but the are available on the web. But I was able to fanagle the NFL package for a hundred bucks so I can live with that.

badrose
08-15-2015, 08:23 PM
Doc, if your UK games are on the old box you can transfer them to an external hard drive. Probably a usb connection. I use WD My Book and depending on size you can pick one up for about $100 at Best Buy.