PDA

View Full Version : OT: Kentucky high school removes gay basketball player from yearbook page

Krank
08-12-2015, 04:54 PM
Apparently, if you don't like that an athlete is gay, you just remove his yearbook picture, and he *poof* doesn't exist anymore. As a proud Kentuckian, I find this embarrassing...

http://www.outsports.com/2015/8/12/9135377/gay-basketball-kentucky-yearbook-dalton-maldonado

badrose
08-12-2015, 05:53 PM
That's just wrong.

Warren
08-12-2015, 05:57 PM
To borrow a quote from Barry Goldwater: "I don't care if he IS straight... I want to know if he can SHOOT straight."

You've got a buddy in the "a kid isn't an unperson" business,

Warren (the M is concerned, however, by the fact the kid is going to UL.)

Krank
08-12-2015, 06:01 PM
To borrow a quote from Barry Goldwater: "I don't care if he IS straight... I want to know if he can SHOOT straight."

You've got a buddy in the "a kid isn't an unperson" business,

Warren (the M is concerned, however, by the fact the kid is going to UL.)

Great quote, Warren.

And an "LOL" and "Agreed" as per your concern.

kingcat
08-12-2015, 06:09 PM
Being reported on the Louisville local TV news right now.

Philly Cat
08-12-2015, 06:10 PM
Yuck. I guess if you look at a gay guy in the yearbook, you might, you know, like turn gay or something?

kingcat
08-12-2015, 06:13 PM
If the goal was to harm the movement..it's a huge fail. If it were to harm the student..it's borderline criminal.

I sense a major lawsuit is a solid option

Just a cluster#$%^@ of a high school administration.

Doc
08-12-2015, 06:21 PM
Yuck. I guess if you look at a gay guy in the yearbook, you might, you know, like turn gay or something?

Admit it, when you looked at his picture, "it" moved

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Knu1lT2DSb4

Darrell KSR
08-12-2015, 06:38 PM
“First off, the Floyd County School System holistically supports Dalton Maldonado just as we do all our students,” Webb said. “He is a great athlete and a great person. We are one of the only school districts in the country who put out a yearbook-style annual that covers every school in the system. That’s where this came up, and Dalton was featured in 15 photos throughout the book. We counted. He’s featured in the most spirited section and the school pride section and in multiple cases he’s pictured playing basketball, which makes sense because he was a great player for us. He was a very popular student, and we support him.

“After I learned of his omission this morning, I launched a full investigation. At this point, what I’ve been able to glean is that he was left out by sheer human error. There were other students left out of other activities as well, which happens in a district-wide publication like this. It’s unfortunate. If the investigation determines that the student was taken out of the section for some other reason, whoever is responsible will face swift and serious consequences.”

Those certainly sound like responsible words from Webb, and the right direction for the school district. While it might be too late to put Maldonado back among the seniors on the school’s basketball page, at least he’ll be able to know that he wasn’t left out on purpose … or that if he was, the person responsible will have to deal with serious repercussions.

http://usatodayhss.com/2015/dalton-maldonado-kentucky-hoops-star-who-came-out-in-april-omitted-from-teams-yearbook-photo

KeithKSR
08-12-2015, 06:41 PM
I'm doubting the entire premise a bit. Yearbooks are not put together by HS principals, but primarily by students. I'd rather be informed of both sides of the story before coming to a conclusion.

Doc
08-12-2015, 06:43 PM
“First off, the Floyd County School System holistically supports Dalton Maldonado just as we do all our students,” Webb said. “He is a great athlete and a great person. We are one of the only school districts in the country who put out a yearbook-style annual that covers every school in the system. That’s where this came up, and Dalton was featured in 15 photos throughout the book. We counted. He’s featured in the most spirited section and the school pride section and in multiple cases he’s pictured playing basketball, which makes sense because he was a great player for us. He was a very popular student, and we support him.

“After I learned of his omission this morning, I launched a full investigation. At this point, what I’ve been able to glean is that he was left out by sheer human error (cough... bull####... cough) There were other students left out of other activities as well, which happens in a district-wide publication like this. It’s unfortunate. If the investigation determines that the student was taken out of the section for some other reason, whoever is responsible will face swift and serious consequences.”

Those certainly sound like responsible words from Webb, and the right direction for the school district. While it might be too late to put Maldonado back among the seniors on the school’s basketball page, at least he’ll be able to know that he wasn’t left out on purpose … or that if he was, the person responsible will have to deal with serious repercussions.

http://usatodayhss.com/2015/dalton-maldonado-kentucky-hoops-star-who-came-out-in-april-omitted-from-teams-yearbook-photo.

Darrell KSR
08-12-2015, 06:44 PM
I wrote a ballad about our football team my senior year. It was the Ballad of the Lions, and I did it as a school project in my English class.

"Twas the fall of 77, and good were the times
For our football team, the Ouachita Lions."

Anyway, it went on for two pages. They asked permission to publish the ballad in the yearbook, as we had an historic season. In fact, I had to get an extension on the project because the team continued winning against all odds. It was pretty cool, and even our season-ending loss was pretty remarkable.

So the yearbook came out, and sure enough, spread over two pages in the yearbook, was the Ballad of the Lions.

Without my name. No reference whatsoever. They screwed up. I received a million apologies, I had classmates write my name in their yearbook "so when they were old and senile, they'd still remember," etc.

Human error.

I'm not suggesting this is human error. Just that it's a possibility. The kid was in the district-wide annual 15 other times (obviously, however, not in such a prominent spot). It's a possibility that it was a screw-up.

Or it was intentional. I'm not taking sides. Wrong no matter what, but was it negligent or intentional? Raises the stakes, obviously.

KeithKSR
08-12-2015, 06:44 PM

“After I learned of his omission this morning, I launched a full investigation. At this point, what I’ve been able to glean is that he was left out by sheer human error. There were other students left out of other activities as well, which happens in a district-wide publication like this. It’s unfortunate. If the investigation determines that the student was taken out of the section for some other reason, whoever is responsible will face swift and serious consequences.”

http://usatodayhss.com/2015/dalton-maldonado-kentucky-hoops-star-who-came-out-in-april-omitted-from-teams-yearbook-photo

I can fully believe the admission was inadvertent, having assembled yearbooks, and having worked with students for over twenty years I have to admit I have made such errors myself.

Doc
08-12-2015, 06:47 PM
I can fully believe the admission was inadvertent, having assembled yearbooks, and having worked with students for over twenty years I have to admit I have made such errors myself.

You forgot to include the starting point guard, in the state of Kentucky? That would be a bit like putting out a picture of the government & forgetting to include the President. :sign0141: Of course if I did that today, and I claimed it was "accidental" I doubt you would believe me. :happy0030:

CitizenBBN
08-12-2015, 06:53 PM

Depends on how good looking he is I guess. :)

As Darrell has quoted, I doubt it was intentional, and if so it is highly unlikely it was policy and maybe a student doing some editing, but I still bet it was just coincidence. Not much point in having him on the team, otherwise including him, then dropping him in just one spot.

CitizenBBN
08-12-2015, 06:55 PM
You forgot to include the starting point guard, in the state of Kentucky? That would be a bit like putting out a picture of the government & forgetting to include the President. :sign0141: Of course if I did that today, and I claimed it was "accidental" I doubt you would believe me. :happy0030:

You don't do enough catalogs. :) I agree it's a big oversight, but not impossible to have happen. There have been many such errors in yearbooks over the years.

Doc
08-12-2015, 07:10 PM
You don't do enough catalogs. :) I agree it's a big oversight, but not impossible to have happen. There have been many such errors in yearbooks over the years.

No but I've forgotten to tie off an artery or two.

CitizenBBN
08-12-2015, 07:17 PM
No but I've forgotten to tie off an artery or two.

oops. :)

For some reason that made me think of Dan Aykroyd as Julia Child. "Remember, save the liver!"

KeithKSR
08-12-2015, 07:19 PM

Yearbooks are primarily assembled by students, most of those are not into sports. If there was an intentional omission he wouldn't be in the yearbook 15 other times. The President-PG analogy is probably apt, a number of citizens cannot name the President.

Philly Cat
08-12-2015, 07:35 PM
Yearbooks are primarily assembled by students, most of those are not into sports. If there was an intentional omission he wouldn't be in the yearbook 15 other times. The President-PG analogy is probably apt, a number of citizens cannot name the President.

Maybe. I would like this to be a case of simple human error.

But unless HS has changed a lot since the Middle Ages when I attended, and unless this small KY town is more tolerant than the Castro in San Francisco, I have a feeling that almost every kid in school would know the guy who came out as gay. For better or worse, I would bet even the yearbook kids would know about him... which would make his exclusion from the basketball page less likely to be simple error.

But, again, I hope it was simple error.

kingcat
08-12-2015, 08:30 PM
I don't buy it...and I wish I could.

A new class of coincidence would have to be created imho.

elicat
08-12-2015, 09:49 PM
When you're dealing with this particular constituency, nothing is ever human error, still less simple decision making based on other considerations. It's always an intentional, hate-filled conspiracy against them.

Last year, the physical plant department at Davidson College put out an email asking students not to fly national flags, confederate flags, rainbow flags, whatever flags, out their dorm room windows, because it looked tacky and didn't represent the school well in the community. Was this about flags? Are you kidding me? It was an institution-wide conspiracy to hate the GLBT alphabet soup and suppress their right to whatever and whatever and whatever. It got to the point where the president of what is one of the most gay-friendly institutions in the country had to send an email to the entire list, parents and all, affirming whatever and whatever.

This looks like more of that.

kingcat
08-12-2015, 11:32 PM
I disagree with the lifestyle, but can't bring myself to any other conclusion than the chances of it being a random omission are extremely low.

And the likelihood of it being intentional just the opposite.

Now, their motives might be a little more involved than just targeting the young man, and lean more toward revenge for past problems with the pro-gay media outlet (Outsports) reporting the issue. But the history itself (http://www.outsports.com/2015/6/18/8793149/dalton-maldonado-gay-basketball-kentucky-911) makes it hard to believe this wasn't intentional and a cruel form of retribution.

Heads completely out of the sand now..the odds of this omission not being related are astronomical gang.

Darrell KSR
08-13-2015, 01:03 AM
I don't buy it...and I wish I could.

A new class of coincidence would have to be created imho.

Why?

I confess, I don't see the logic.

Somebody was omitted.

He was gay.

Therefore it was because he was gay?

That's a logical fallacy. Where's the connection?

I ate cinnamon rolls for breakfast today. My son's soccer team lost tonight. Did one cause the other?

Our #1 golfer was omitted from our yearbook. He was a smoker.

Was he victimized because he smoked, and none of the rest of us did?

He was also overweight. Picture a slightly heavier Craig Stadler. Was he omitted because of his weight?

I hear victimology often. Maybe the one omission was intentional, and they missed the other pictures. And if it was intentional, maybe it was because he was gay.

Or maybe it was because the editor dated the player who was beaten out for his position by him. And maybe the editor is gay.

Look - there seems to be legitimate cause for concern, if the kid can be believed. If he had someone tell him, affiliated with the school, that it was intentional, and it was because of his sexual orientation. Do you believe the kid? I don't know him, but maybe he's trustworthy.

But if that's not true, the mere fact that a gay person was omitted is no more indicative of the reason than if you found someone robbed a bank, and that person was gay and you claimed it was because he was gay.

JMO. We've been burned by sensationalized newspaper headlines and false claims of victimization before. This one wouldn't shock me either way.

elicat
08-13-2015, 08:16 AM
Apparently the kid is in the yearbook 15 times. The fact that it is not 16 is hate? Gotcha.

ETWNAPPEL
08-13-2015, 08:29 AM
The fact he was in there 15 other times says a lot. Could be the one person working on the basketball page did it on purpose and no one did a suitable job of reviewing all the pages.

Funny story Darrell, I wrote a long ballad about our basketball team that won the district for the first time in decades. It made the yearbook without my name as well! Great minds.

Darrell KSR
08-13-2015, 09:11 AM
Funny story Darrell, I wrote a long ballad about our basketball team that won the district for the first time in decades. It made the yearbook without my name as well! Great minds.
Oh, that is too funny.

kingcat
08-13-2015, 11:48 AM
Why?

Somebody was omitted.

He was gay.

I ate cinnamon rolls for breakfast today. My son's soccer team lost tonight. Did one cause the other?

He was also overweight. Picture a slightly heavier Craig Stadler. Was he omitted because of his weight?

I hear victimology often. Maybe the one omission was intentional, and they missed the other pictures. And if it was intentional, maybe it was because he was gay.

Or maybe it was because the editor dated the player who was beaten out for his position by him. And maybe the editor is gay.

Look - there seems to be legitimate cause for concern, if the kid can be believed. If he had someone tell him, affiliated with the school, that it was intentional, and it was because of his sexual orientation. Do you believe the kid? I don't know him, but maybe he's trustworthy.

But if that's not true, the mere fact that a gay person was omitted is no more indicative of the reason than if you found someone robbed a bank, and that person was gay and you claimed it was because he was gay.

JMO. We've been burned by sensationalized newspaper headlines and false claims of victimization before. This one wouldn't shock me either way.

The history of the situation must be taken into account. And that history is well documented and strained, at best.

The examples above don't fit imo.
Really, as I see it your last paragraph affords the young man a good argument. Depending on ones viewpoint, the school had been burned previously by sensationalized newspaper headlines and false claims of victimization relating to this young man and his sexual preference.

Since there is a long history here between the news outlet, the young man, and the school system including his school, the circumstantial evidence must be weighed in to form a conclusion. I think it weighs in heavily myself.

KMSBball
08-13-2015, 12:05 PM
It's my understanding that the omitted picture was on the basketball team photos page. He's supposed to be the team's best player. If it had been anywhere else I could agree that it was a mistake. But to omit the picture of the basketball team's best player? In KY? There was something else going on.

suncat05
08-13-2015, 12:07 PM
Geez! What difference does it make whether the kid is gay? So what? He's a kid in high school, for crying out loud! He's on the team, he's on the team. Accept & acknowledge it.
How much more hateful can they be to this kid?

elicat
08-13-2015, 12:26 PM
Geez! What difference does it make whether the kid is gay?

Well, it seems to be one of the things that matter most to him and his most vigorous advocates. So it seems to make a considerable difference.

MTcatfan
08-13-2015, 12:28 PM
Why?

Somebody was omitted.

He was gay.

Are you aware of his situation with his school administration? There was a situation of some slurs being used in a basketball game in Lexington and an article was done about it. The schools involved then launched an investigation into the situation, and despite some pretty good documentation on the part of the reporter, both schools administrations deemed the harrassment as not happening and stated that the original article on the incident was basically a "fabrication", despite eyewitnessess that were on the record. So then when the yearbook thing happens it is hard for those that are familiar with the situation to believe that this "human error". I have always believed there is no such thing as a coincidence, and this would be one hell of a coincidence and one that borders on the absurd. Here is the sequence of articles that show the situation Dalton has been involved with that lead up to his picture being omitted by "human error" from the basketball page of his yearbook. BTW, the "he is in the yearbook 15 times" excuse is about as asinine as can be, and certainly to me shows the callous nature of the "human error", apparently he was an involved member of the high school, so he got his picture in the yearbook a lot, but when it came time to include him with his fellow seniors, as part of a senior honor that everyone got, he was omitted by quote human error unquote, sorry doesn't pass the smell test to me.

First article containing original accusations:

http://www.outsports.com/2015/4/1/8316867/dalton-maldonado-gay-basketball-kentucky

Second Article about the "fabricated" first article:

http://www.outsports.com/2015/6/18/8793149/dalton-maldonado-gay-basketball-kentucky-911

Article about the yearbook omission:

http://www.outsports.com/2015/8/12/9135377/gay-basketball-kentucky-yearbook-dalton-maldonado

Dalton's response to "investigation" into "human error" explanation:

http://www.outsports.com/2015/8/12/9145891/gay-kentucky-basketball-player-dalton-maldonado-picture

MickintheHam
08-13-2015, 12:30 PM

But unless HS has changed a lot since the Middle Ages when I attended, and unless this small KY town is more tolerant than the Castro in San Francisco, I have a feeling that almost every kid in school would know the guy who came out as gay. For better or worse, I would bet even the yearbook kids would know about him... which would make his exclusion from the basketball page less likely to be simple error.

Miss Fuchs who was in my graduating class back in the day was upset when her name was misspelled. Folks, it happens. In her case it was an honest mistake at the printer. Once 500 of those things have been distributed and people has written in them, there is not much that can be done. To her credit she and her family graciously accepted the story and the apology. I believe a lot of people need to follow suit. Not every omission, not every error is a slight. GOI - get over it.

elicat
08-13-2015, 12:33 PM
various links to articles

Have your read those articles? Did you notice all the weasel words that let the writer be technically correct without asserting much of anything that one could not drive a Mack truck through at the crucial points?

suncat05
08-13-2015, 12:40 PM
Well, it seems to be one of the things that matter most to him and his most vigorous advocates. So it seems to make a considerable difference.

I think you mistook my point. I wasn't saying anything against him. He's a kid in high school. Acknowledge that for what it is. He's a kid in high school.
Now, if he's been militant & vociferous about it, then I can see where his position may have rubbed some people the wrong way. But that doesn't give anyone the right to treat him any differently than any other kid in that school, straight, gay, or otherwise.

MTcatfan
08-13-2015, 12:45 PM
Have your read those articles? Did you notice all the weasel words that let the writer be technically correct without asserting much of anything that one could not drive a Mack truck through?

Yes I have read the articles. if you read the second article the reporter tells you he interviewed Dalton, a teammate and an assistant coach and all told the same story with a few minor details different, then AFTER the investigation claiming the original article was a fabrication the reporter interviewed a parent of a teammate, who once again CORROBORATED what the previous 3 witnesses told him. Dalton also saved the text messages he received after the original incident, of which one thread is published in the second article defending the first article. They also have a 911 dispatch where the dispatcher classified the 911 call as pertaining to a "terroristic threat", so unless the caller was lying to the dispatcher, why did the dispatcher come to the conclusion what they were hearing was a "terroristic threat".

So there was plenty of facts to go with the opining in the original article, and the reporter added more facts in his second article. If the reporters opining offended you, understand he is doing it based on the facts that he discovered, and is doing it in a format, SB Nation, where facts and opinions are regularly interlaced in articles. I mean how many places now report stories in this exact same way, SB Nation, Grantland, and a million other "blog" spots report news this way.

Krank
08-13-2015, 02:56 PM
I suppose every time there is a situation like this, we can just say "probably due to human error".

I guess that can be said pertaining to just about anything, but as MTcatfan has asserted, there's a history BEFORE this alleged "misprint".

Somehow the point guard, best player, and only known gay athlete in his school, recently coming out no less, gets left off of the ONE place where he is most famous to the community AND his school. The fact that homophobia has been deeply entrenched in "manly" realms such as athletics for a dog's age could not be considered by some on this thread as a possible realm wherein this might happen in THIS instance too.

Maybe it was the student(s) and/or admins from the school who put the yearbook page together and it really was an oopsie, but like kingcat has contended, this quacks too much like a duck to be a goose.

JMO.

Krank
08-13-2015, 03:06 PM
Another story, this time by a coach (opinion piece)...

http://www.outsports.com/2015/8/12/9145977/betsy-layne-gay-basketball-coaches

elicat
08-13-2015, 05:25 PM
The fact that homophobia

So you're saying there are a lot of people there who are irrationally afraid of sameness?

(This word is a piece of Newspeak. Diagnosing people who do not agree with you with a faux psychotic disorder is Stalinism of the purest water.)

Doc
08-13-2015, 06:30 PM
I suppose every time there is a situation like this, we can just say "probably due to human error".

I guess that can be said pertaining to just about anything, but as MTcatfan has asserted, there's a history BEFORE this alleged "misprint".

Somehow the point guard, best player, and only known gay athlete in his school, recently coming out no less, gets left off of the ONE place where he is most famous to the community AND his school. The fact that homophobia has been deeply entrenched in "manly" realms such as athletics for a dog's age could not be considered by some on this thread as a possible realm wherein this might happen in THIS instance too.

Maybe it was the student(s) and/or admins from the school who put the yearbook page together and it really was an oopsie, but like kingcat has contended, this quacks too much like a duck to be a goose.

JMO.

Yes, it would be a bit like forgetting to put Karl Towns Bio in a UK publication and then trying to claim they forgot. This is Kentucky, this is basketball. He wasn't the 3 string QB or he didn't write a poem. He was the starting PG, the teams best player and recently came out as being gay, and was the target of much backlash and harassment. He wasn't an unknown. Sure it could have been an error of omission when it was put together...or it could have been the publisher forgot to include that page...or it could have been the yearbook fairy (no pun intended) came in the middle of the night and made that section disappear by waving her magic wand....but I don't think that happened.

elicat
08-13-2015, 06:32 PM
Yes, it would be a bit like forgetting to put Karl Towns Bio in a UK publication and then trying to claim they forgot. This is Kentucky, this is basketball. He wasn't the 3 string QB or he didn't write a poem. He was the starting PG, the teams best player and recently came out as being gay, and was the target of much backlash and harassment. He wasn't an unknown. Sure it could have been an error of omission when it was put together...or it could have been the publisher forgot to include that page...or it could have been the yearbook fairy (no pun intended) came in the middle of the night and made that section disappear by waving her magic wand....but I don't think that happened.

Whew. An hour later somebody says something. You are completely wrong in my opinion, but I could not be more glad you posted. The silence was becoming deafening.

Darrell KSR
08-13-2015, 06:50 PM

Yeah, and a magic fairy with a wand could've said, "poof, all the gay athletes disappear," and that didn't happen either, Doc.

I'm sorry you didn't find the real life examples, rather than the fantasy, compelling. That's fine, although again, I find logic lacking in these rush to condemn the yearbook staff.

Here's more.

My daughter is a junior at her high school. She plays volleyball and golf, and is a member of show choir. National honor society, all that jazz. Has been a soccer sweetie, PALS, etc. Heavily involved in school.

I just asked her who the point guard was for her school's basketball team. She had no idea. I asked her who the best basketball player was at her school. She didn't know, although she knows some of the players. Doesn't go to the games.

I just asked her who the quarterback was for her school's football team. She knew him, but some less-involved friends didn't know. And that was a 10-win, state semifinal, 7A team. In Alabama.

It's a yearbook staff with high school students, and they aren't involved in athletics, and many of them don't have a clue.

Listen--it could've been intentional. But this notion that it couldn't have been overlooked is preposterous.

I'd love to read some facts, rather than the p-poor media story that was lacking in substance. Even their headline was faulty. At least, there was nothing in the story about the photo being removed, but there was an allegation that it was omitted. Same thing, a difference without a distinction? Maybe. But it set the tone for the lynch mob mentality the story took, and others have gravitated to with a vengeance.

I hate to see anybody--anybody--treated unfairly. In this case, it's not the gay athlete.

CitizenBBN
08-13-2015, 07:26 PM
The problem is that there is no necessary connection between the situation at that game and the school's investigation and this omission. None.

Schools are run by bureaucrats. Bureaucrats above all else want to keep from sticking their necks out or getting in trouble. So in one case they want to sweep an incident under the rug to keep it from being a problem b/c that's what is best for them, yet now they're going to CREATE a problem for themselves by poking a sore subject with a really sharp stick?

Come on guys, that's now how those entities work. In both cases they will do the same thing: avoid taking action and avoid taking blame. They don't take action to create things for which they will get blamed, they just don't. They REALLY don't take action to create problems for themselves for which they have nothing to gain.

Maybe it was one lone guy, a student or someone else with a big ax to grind and the brains of a walnut, it could happen, but it's almost certainly not some multi-person level policy decision and it's likely not even intentional, at least not for anyone in the chain of command who now has to deal with the fallout.

Sure they were dismissive of his incident with the game. If they accept it as true look at all that work for them. But to create an incident that gains them nothing and costs them a lot? Very unlikely at best.

UKRxman93
08-13-2015, 07:29 PM
Listen--it could've been intentional. But this notion that it couldn't have been overlooked is preposterous.

I'd love to read some facts, rather than the p-poor media story that was lacking in substance. Even their headline was faulty. At least, there was nothing in the story about the photo being removed, but there was an allegation that it was omitted. Same thing, a difference without a distinction? Maybe. But it set the tone for the lynch mob mentality the story took, and others have gravitated to with a vengeance.

I hate to see anybody--anybody--treated unfairly. In this case, it's not the gay athlete.

Krank
08-13-2015, 07:34 PM
So you're saying there are a lot of people there who are irrationally afraid of sameness?

(This word is a piece of Newspeak. Diagnosing people who do not agree with you with a faux psychotic disorder is Stalinism of the purest water.)

Parse out four words, then apply your political obsessions to to mean that I am calling YOU a homophobe.

Sorry, but that rings only of some partisan debate you seem constantly a part of, meaning I have made clear on this board how I feel about this one issue. Political debates between "the left" and "the right" are things I rarely engage in. Gay rights is really the only issue I have been vocal about, in a public context beyond a few people, in a long time. Because there has been news on that score, I have expressed myself. The rest is your choice to twist phrases and ignore context.

I made one point with that four word phrase you parsed out... that athletics, gym class, any realm of "toughness" has been a haven for homophobia for a long time. You may not agree with that, but that is my opinion based upon my experiences and the experiences of a great many LGBT friends of mine. Please note that I speak generally here, not at all meaning to declare that ALL straight athletes are like that, nor are all teams like that, nor are all athletic "cultures" like that, but it has been and, to different degrees depending on the places, continues to be a reality.

What? You have never seen bullying of smaller, less athletic kids in gym class, the first or second thing slung upon them is that they are a {insert homophobic slur here}??. Hell, that happened countless times in gym classes, intramural sports all through high school and college, etc., when I attended. Didn't like it then or now, but the reality is that it happens, and it happens in some places a LOT.

There has been a history of harassment of this kid. Acting like we who believe the yearbook fiasco continues a definitive pattern are not "Stalinist" and applying the word "homophobia" to an ACTUAL phenomenon (NOT a person on this thread... maybe you should re-read for context unless you CHOOSE to believe I am calling ANYONE here a specific prejudicial adjective, which is certainly your prerogative) in locker rooms over countless years is not tantamount to calling those who choose not to "recall" that phenomenon homophobic themselves.

I have no idea what "Newspeak" means because I have no online, TV, radio, or other media choice wired for any particular news source. That's something you follow, not me. I do not participate in any political movements or declare a label for my politics. You may choose not to believe that as well, but it's the truth. I am a rabid non-conformist going way back, and not for show. Just opinions like anyone else that are personally mine. I go by my experiences with my LGBT friends as well as my personal observations to inform my views. That's it.

I have no idea, also, what you mean by "faux psychotic disorder", nor how it would define, in any way, the word "homophobia".

Sorry if you were personally angered by my views. That was not the intent.

Peace.

CitizenBBN
08-13-2015, 07:36 PM

JMO.

But there was no "history". The school has not been shown to have discriminated against him in the past. What they did was NOT pursue what he saw as discrimination by others who weren't even associated with his school. Maybe that's wrong, but it wasn't an overt act of discrimination, it was good old fashion "cover your ass" work to avoid issues. They didn't stand by the kid maybe, but they also didn't do the harm to him.

This is now a harm to him, overtly and blatantly done, with obvious consequences for the school b/c now they have to answer to these accusations. They really did that intentionally to themselves?

Now, could one person there have done it intentionally? Maybe someone not in the direct chain who somehow intervened to get it done? maybe, possible, but not all that more likely than an error, and if so it will come out as this turns into a dumpster fire.

But "the school" as some monolithic entity shooting itself in the PR foot this way? Doubtful.

And in fact that's why they didnt' stand behind the kid the last time, b/c doing so puts them in a controversy. If the insults never happened then they are safe.

But that's not a "history" that bears on this in any way as a pattern or practice of discrimination against the young man, just a pattern and practice of people doing CYA.

Krank
08-13-2015, 07:38 PM
The problem is that there is no necessary connection between the situation at that game and the school's investigation and this omission. None.

Schools are run by bureaucrats. Bureaucrats above all else want to keep from sticking their necks out or getting in trouble. So in one case they want to sweep an incident under the rug to keep it from being a problem b/c that's what is best for them, yet now they're going to CREATE a problem for themselves by poking a sore subject with a really sharp stick?

Come on guys, that's now how those entities work. In both cases they will do the same thing: avoid taking action and avoid taking blame. They don't take action to create things for which they will get blamed, they just don't. They REALLY don't take action to create problems for themselves for which they have nothing to gain.

Maybe it was one lone guy, a student or someone else with a big ax to grind and the brains of a walnut, it could happen, but it's almost certainly not some multi-person level policy decision and it's likely not even intentional, at least not for anyone in the chain of command who now has to deal with the fallout.

Sure they were dismissive of his incident with the game. If they accept it as true look at all that work for them. But to create an incident that gains them nothing and costs them a lot? Very unlikely at best.

Simple solution... reprint the yearbooks CORRECTED and get some 'nads by saying that is priority #1 when you announce that it's the plan at the news conference.

Those poor bureaucrats... I think I will shed a tiny tear for them tonight before I rest my weary head.

UKRxman93
08-13-2015, 07:41 PM
I don't agree with any form of bullying. That also includes those on this yearbook staff who may be presumed innocent UNTIL proven guilty. Unfortunately, hard facts can't be laid out prior to an assumed narrative being written. That is the problem with the Information Age we live in today. Too often, it is the Misinformation Age from both sides or positions no matter what your point of view may be.

CitizenBBN
08-13-2015, 07:53 PM
Simple solution... reprint the yearbooks CORRECTED and get some 'nads by saying that is priority #1 when you announce that it's the plan at the news conference.

Those poor bureaucrats... I think I will shed a tiny tear for them tonight before I rest my weary head.

I don't give a flying crap about them, but I do understand them, and I know it happens but it's rare when they stick their necks out like this. That's true of everyone, not just school officials.

elicat
08-13-2015, 08:28 PM
to mean that I am calling YOU a homophobe.

Nope. It's not about me. I don't care who you're calling a homophobe. The word is Stalinist Newspeak no matter whom you are using it to insult.

I have no idea what "Newspeak" means because I have no online, TV, radio, or other media choice wired for any particular news source.

This is one of those cases where you have said far more than you know. What you said in the quote above is, "I am culturally illiterate. I do not read books, and have no idea what literature is included by every educated person in the Western canon."

CitizenBBN
08-13-2015, 08:54 PM
Moved this to the Barber Shop, it's going beyond sports.

Also guys let's remember we're all on the same side here. Even on this issue in the broader sense, we all will agree. we all HOPE this was an honest mistake and not the young man being treated wrongly and we all seem to agree that if this were intentional it's an unacceptable act.

All we're disagreeing on is whether it was intentional or not, and we're all just speculating.

kingcat
08-13-2015, 09:08 PM
Should be easy enough for the school to single out who is responsible. And then they can report that to a responsible third party.
At that point the witness for the young man would be outed as no more than a troublemaker. And regardless, a full blown apology is in order, if not a correction imho.

There is that small chance it is a strange coincidence..no one here is arguing it's not at least a slight possibility. But if I had to lay a bet on one argument or the other...I think I know where the smart money would go. ;)

KeithKSR
08-13-2015, 09:14 PM

I teach in a small Eastern Kentucky school, students are pretty tolerant of other students. If they were going to eliminate him from the yearbook intentionally he wouldn't appear in the annual 15 times.

KeithKSR
08-13-2015, 09:19 PM

That means they screwed up the 15 times they left his photo in the yearbook. Tough to believe one omission is intentional, but messing up and not removing the other 15 photos were incidental.

Krank
08-13-2015, 09:24 PM
Nope. It's not about me. I don't care who you're calling a homophobe. The word is Stalinist Newspeak no matter whom you are using it to insult.

This is one of those cases where you have said far more than you know. What you said in the quote above is, "I am culturally illiterate. I do not read books, and have no idea what literature is included by every educated person in the Western canon."

All that has really happened in this "exchange" is that you have chosen to re-define my words and meaning, including believing that you know much of anything about how, when, and why I choose to get info and what I choose to focus upon, culturally and literally on a personal level, including suggesting I know not from whence I speak, not knowing my own mind and such. By stating my experiences with homophobia in "manly" realms, I was telling the truth. The fact that you CHOOSE to infer that I am in league with one of the greatest fascists of all time because I suggest that it has existed and still exists, based on too many personal stories that I believe as told to me by friends, relatives, etc., says more about what you want to believe about me than what is even close to being true.

It's an opinion based on experiences. You want to believe I should know what "Newspeak" means. That's some word that political junkies know. I have a lot of things in my life that don't involve rabid following of every news story and political drama that unfolds. But what do I know? Apparently you believe you have "nailed" me as a lying, Stalinist basher of specific folks at Betsy Layne. I believe the kid has suffered from discrimination. Saying so does not make me sympathetic to a maniacal murderer. What kind of crap is that?

So, you are defending every single person who has ever been involved with athletics, though I named no specific person, as never having a homophobic bone in any of their bodies, despite my actual experiences, and then saying so is tantamount to me accusing the entirety of "manly" realms as homophobic, thereby I am unfairly, in some "Stalinistic" fashion, lol, pointing fascist fingers at the people I have not named?

Or is it really that you are asserting that the very WORD "homophobia" is only used by "Stalinist" type people, in this instance, me being the fascist in your model, meaning that the word has no merit AT ALL in Western society? Are all types of prejudice the creation of Stalinist Newspeak, whatever that is, or is it just homophobia? Is that because you believe homophobia is not "real" or that you believe it does not deserve to be defined as a type of prejudice due to conflicts with political or religious beliefs you deem "un-American"?

I am asking because I really know little of what you are talking about with your labels and rather vast assumptions about my life and what I choose to do with my time. Read it again... I said I have no online, TV, or other media CHOICE wired for any PARTICULAR news source. It doesn't mean I don't get news or look into political situations. There are many ways to do that. There are those who more rabidly engage in such activities than others. I know folks who, literally, NEVER watch the news, yet they are quite literate.

The World has a great many opportunities for info, cultural learning, engaging with art, music, politics, and any bevy of hobbies, interests, whatever arena one wants to spend their time in. The fact that you believe I should egage, presumably, in just the way you think I should (I mean you DO know my mind, as you have taken one sentence, gotten it wrong, and then placed words in my mouth redefining your incorrect translation, so you da expert, lol), is not realistic.

You don't know me beyond my sports posting and two political threads, no matter how hard you try to pry out how you want to see me and label me.

Krank
08-13-2015, 09:25 PM
Moved this to the Barber Shop, it's going beyond sports.

Also guys let's remember we're all on the same side here. Even on this issue in the broader sense, we all will agree. we all HOPE this was an honest mistake and not the young man being treated wrongly and we all seem to agree that if this were intentional it's an unacceptable act.

All we're disagreeing on is whether it was intentional or not, and we're all just speculating.

Agreed. My skepticism is my right as is the "other side"'s smell test choice. I get it.

KeithKSR
08-13-2015, 09:28 PM

Are you springing for the money to re-print the yearbooks. $80+ each for 500 yearbooks is a lot for a school district to cough up from an activity fund. Instructional funds can't be used to purchase them, and that's a lot of money to come up with through fundraising.

elicat
08-13-2015, 09:33 PM
I don't believe in "type people." People are what they do over and over again. You use a word that diagnoses people who disagree with you with a fake psychosis that serves your political agenda. Do I think that is the behavior of a fascist? Yep, I do think that.

Krank
08-13-2015, 09:43 PM
I don't believe in "type people." People are what they do over and over again. You use a word that diagnoses people who disagree with you with a fake psychosis that serves your political agenda. Do I think that is the behavior of a fascist? Yep, I do think that.

Again, you speak in these terms that I truly do not understand, contextually.

Trying to use your sentence... you are saying that when I use the word, "homophobia", I am "diagnosing", as if I am a doctor (?) all (?) people who disagree with me (about anything and in all situations over my entire life?) with a fake psychosis (is that what you are defining as "gay", meaning they are faking being gay, but are actually psychotic?) that serves my political agenda, that being supporting gay marriage and equal rights for LGBT in America.

Is that about it? Feel free to clear it up for me because, no matter how little you like my beliefs, opinions, and how my experiences have helped form them, I truly do not get your choice of words and my questions are legitimately asked out of real confusion.

Do you always label people you disagree with using extremely inflammatory, clearly historically anti-American, labeling, or is it just folks who believe homophobia exists and is a real phenomenon?

elicat
08-13-2015, 09:49 PM
It's not that hard. Look up agoraphobia, acrophobia, claustrophobia, anything. These are psychoses. They have in common an irrational fear of something. They can be treated by a psychiatrist or psychologist. Get it? A doctor can diagnose you with them. Homophobia? The analogy is obvious.

As soon as you are willing to use the word homophobia, the heavy conceptual lifting has been done. It is a mere practical problem to build the Soviet-style mental institutions, or the gulags, or the concentration camps. When you have become willing to use a fake mental diagnosis to categorize your political opponents, you are already nearly there.

kingcat
08-13-2015, 10:03 PM
OK everyone...take a deep breath. Now let it out s l o w l y.

This is all for fun and reading differing opinions. Let's not take offense at finding diversity of thought on such subjects. I swear...I usually type with a wry smile on my face...I often forget that only comes across to those who know me well.
Point is, let's not let it get too intense around here.

elicat
08-13-2015, 10:06 PM
Intense? Me? :050:

OK everyone...take a deep breath. Now let it out s l o w l y.

This is all for fun and reading differing opinions. Let's not take offense at finding diversity of thought on such subjects. I swear...I usually type with a wry smile on my face...I often forget that only comes across to those who know me well.
Point is, let's not let it get too intense around here.

Krank
08-13-2015, 10:20 PM
It's not that hard. Look up agoraphobia, acrophobia, claustrophobia, anything. These are psychoses. They have in common an irrational fear of something. They can be treated by a psychiatrist or psychologist. Get it? A doctor can diagnose you with them. Homophobia? The analogy is obvious.

As soon as you are willing to use the word homophobia, the heavy conceptual lifting has been done. It is a mere practical problem to build the Soviet-style mental institutions, or the gulags, or the concentration camps. When you have become willing to use a fake mental diagnosis to categorize your political opponents, you are already nearly there.

I know, eli, I am REALLY stupid, thus you asserting that "it's not that hard".

I don't have some vast understanding of linguistics, where words begin with their definitions, and how they have changed, but I know few people, and frankly you are the first that I have encountered, who would take the literal "phobia" part of "homophobia" and make it analogous to claustrophobia and the like. I realize, now that you have reminded me of it, that the literal definition of the word, "homophobia" is the "irrational fear" you refer to, yet the definition of words change or can be poorly constructed in their origins to define what it is meant to. I "understand" what you mean by a literal definition, but whatever THAT is, the larger society uses it to mean "prejudice agains GLBT folks", which is exactly what I mean, no more, no less, and having no association with a diagnosable condition that doctors treat.

I don't conceptualize "political opponents". Again, that's your thing. Clearly, I am yours and clearly you believe that having an opinion that homophobia, in the definition that I use and understand in modern life, is real and should be fought makes me the most anti-American "political opponent" you can likely conceive of. I find that very strange.

Do you believe that gay people are psychotic and that they don't know their own sexuality?

Doc
08-13-2015, 10:35 PM
Clearly it could have been an accidental omission but my personal belief is that it wasn't. That might be a 50.1% it was intentional and 49.9% it was accidental. It may be a "gut feeling" or it may be that since there was attention brought to the situation prior to editing of the yearbook that I find it slightly more beiievable that it was intentional than accidental. It may be that since the section was basketball team, a feature sport in the state and he was a starter, the yearbook staff tends to pay more attention to that than say the symphony band. If they forget to include Clyde Smith off the band roster, I'm probably going to lean towards accidental because that stuff happens. It happens in every yearbook. But most don't screw up the basketball team. Its not the band with 100 people who nobody knows. Its the basketball team in Kentucky. Its the starting PG, not the 4th chair tuba player. Again, that me. Doesn't make me homophilic or heterophobic, because like his sexuality, I really don't care either way.

elicat
08-13-2015, 10:40 PM
Do you believe that gay people are psychotic and that they don't know their own sexuality?

What? I know reading is hard and you've already effectively told us you don't do it by choice, but good grief. Where did you come up with that?

Generally speaking, there do seem to be an awful lot of words you don't know, and your real or (what is far more likely) feigned ignorance makes this a lot of work, Krank. I'm finished. Have a nice evening.

MTcatfan
08-13-2015, 11:02 PM
Yeah, and a magic fairy with a wand could've said, "poof, all the gay athletes disappear," and that didn't happen either, Doc.

I'm sorry you didn't find the real life examples, rather than the fantasy, compelling. That's fine, although again, I find logic lacking in these rush to condemn the yearbook staff.

Here's more.

My daughter is a junior at her high school. She plays volleyball and golf, and is a member of show choir. National honor society, all that jazz. Has been a soccer sweetie, PALS, etc. Heavily involved in school.

I just asked her who the point guard was for her school's basketball team. She had no idea. I asked her who the best basketball player was at her school. She didn't know, although she knows some of the players. Doesn't go to the games.

I just asked her who the quarterback was for her school's football team. She knew him, but some less-involved friends didn't know. And that was a 10-win, state semifinal, 7A team. In Alabama.

It's a yearbook staff with high school students, and they aren't involved in athletics, and many of them don't have a clue.

So did you read any of the articles? The reporter has the accuser and 3 other sources telling the SAME story. Then you have the schools involved, including the accusers, say the story is a FABRICATION, and then "coincidentally" his picture gets left out of the senior basketball player tribute and you find it incredulous that some of us see a conspiracy?

Look will anyone ever be able to prove the omission was deliberate? Nope...but on the flip side no one will ever be able to prove is was an innocent mistake either. This is definitely a he said/she said situation, but I can't blame anyone, who like myself, saw smoke and assumed there was a fire.

I could give the school district a little more benefit of the doubt if not for their response to the original accusations, which was to call the accuser and the reporter liars.

Doc
08-13-2015, 11:36 PM
So did you read any of the articles? The reporter has the accuser and 3 other sources telling the SAME story. Then you have the schools involved, including the accusers, say the story is a FABRICATION, and then "coincidentally" his picture gets left out of the senior basketball player tribute and you find it incredulous that some of us see a conspiracy?

Look will anyone ever be able to prove the omission was deliberate? Nope...but on the flip side no one will ever be able to prove is was an innocent mistake either. This is definitely a he said/she said situation, but I can't blame anyone, who like myself, saw smoke and assumed there was a fire.

I could give the school district a little more benefit of the doubt if not for their response to the original accusations, which was to call the accuser and the reporter liars.

Its no sweat off my ass. As I've stated, it could be an omission. Apparently Darrel will ignore that portion. I've not "rushed to condemn then". After reading the article, and all the associated links, I simply don't believe the innocent omission are reporting. The administration may believe it but I don't. They may believe the editor mistakenly omitted. As I stated, my gut feeling is what it is. Since there is no standard of proof, I'm free to believe what I wish and have that standard be what I feel is adequate. However, apparently when one does not agree, then my conclusion was obviously "rushed" because had I prematurely and not fully considered everything, and therefore have come to the incorrect decisions which wasn't that it was obviously an omission by the editors. Anecdotal stories prove omission, plus 16 and 17 year old kids never do anything malicious. I know this because my son said so

Krank
08-14-2015, 12:23 AM
What? I know reading is hard and you've already effectively told us you don't do it by choice, but good grief. Where did you come up with that?

Generally speaking, there do seem to be an awful lot of words you don't know, and your real or (what is far more likely) feigned ignorance makes this a lot of work, Krank. I'm finished. Have a nice evening.

elicat: "You use a word that diagnoses people who disagree with you with a fake psychosis that serves your political agenda."

I know you think the sunshine of literacy and extraordinary uber-intelligence shines straight out of your poo-hole, eli, but that sentence above is ridiculous as a definition of "homophobia". It is very poorly constructed in contrast to your simpler (hey, you know us knuckle-draggers need all the help we can get, so thanks for your charity) definition answered later. You know damned well I was defining "homophobia" as simple prejudice against LGBT folks, but you had to quickly construct that weirdness above, that really is saying a lot more than defining "irrational fears" and it is doing so in a confusing way.

Part of that confusion, and I asked you about it in the original reply to that post, made me wonder if you were referring to "fake psychosis" as a definition of gay delusionality. You didn't answer that. So I asked again.

Maybe because I have been very busy outside of this thread and I am tired, I got a little more confused than I should have, but the quote above is still a mixed up mess that includes a reference to me, personally, and how I respond to others, and you include a personal opinion that I am all about an agenda. You don't explain that you are defining the word by it's root literal meaning and you expect me to agree that such defines homophobia. You don't agree that it's confusing. You have made all of that abundantly clear at this point. Unfortunately, all of your condescending extremist political name calling and shotgun posting, including rote ignoring of PLENTY of explaining that I have done about HOW, WHAT, and WHY I read what I read, NEVER remotely inferring that I "never read", yet you bang the drum because it makes you feel superior, I suppose, is freaking WEAK.

But the worst of all is that you, essentially, have called me a liar with that "feigned ignorance" bit. I contend that you were baiting from the moment you slobbered all over Doc's post that the "silence was deafening" or whatever you posted, due to a gap in your post and my reply (again, I have been very busy tonight), assuming, incorrectly, that my delay in response was due to being "gotcha'd" or whatever. That does not leave you with any sort of moral or intellectual high ground IMO. I am sure you disagree.

I, too, have had enough. Maybe someday I will read some Dr. Seuss, but those big words give me a headache. Cool pitchers dough!

Doc
08-14-2015, 08:46 AM

Here's more.
P

Such stories are great. I recall my HS days as well. I attended a much larger HS, approx 1200 student that was 30 miles from my home due to "busing" so the likelihood of me knowing any random student in my school would be far less than Betsy Lynn HS in rural KY or your daughter's scenario. Agree? In fact back in 1981 I couldn't name one person on the girls swim team except one. Odds are every student at Central High School could ID her because she was the center of a scandal and had recently been the topic of numerous newspaper articles, just like Dalton Maldonado. See when a teacher rapes you, or you announce you're gay, odds are you don't go unnoticed by your classmates.

Looking back through my yearbook I noted places I was omitted or was failed to be recognized as well. I chalked those up to oversights, etc despite being called "gay" a time or two in HS (who wasn't called that in the late 70s and early 80s). However they didn't miss on the important stuff. I'd consider a 2 page spread on the basketball team in the Betsy lynn HS yearbook as important as the Central HS soccer team. I would have been highly suspicious if my HS omitted the team captain, MVP and all state nomination from the page if I were gay and decided to become public.

But you're correct. All that is not relevant to the situation. The question is as simple as who do I believe. I'm less convinced it was an accidental omission. I could be wrong but I don't think so. Crime of the century? No. A huge in justice? Not really. But its a shame because it hurts a young man who represented his school and deserved the recognition. It also makes the school look bad so I hope it was an intentional omission and the negative light that they receive is deserved!

MTcatfan
08-14-2015, 09:35 AM
Its no sweat off my ass. As I've stated, it could be an omission. Apparently Darrel will ignore that portion. I've not "rushed to condemn then". After reading the article, and all the associated links, I simply don't believe the innocent omission are reporting. The administration may believe it but I don't. They may believe the editor mistakenly omitted. As I stated, my gut feeling is what it is. Since there is no standard of proof, I'm free to believe what I wish and have that standard be what I feel is adequate. However, apparently when one does not agree, then my conclusion was obviously "rushed" because had I prematurely and not fully considered everything, and therefore have come to the incorrect decisions which wasn't that it was obviously an omission by the editors. Anecdotal stories prove omission, plus 16 and 17 year old kids never do anything malicious. I know this because my son said so

That is why I keep asking Darrell if he has read all of the articles(that have the accuser and 3 other sources all telling the same story, and a 911 dispatcher classifying the 911 call as a report of "terroristic threats", and the school calling Dalton and the reporter liars)...I am actually a little shocked with Darrell's hard line with this issue because I would think that if he had read all of the articles about the issue he would come to understand why some people just can't believe in this "coincidence". This isn't simply a situation where a random student gets randomly left out of the yearbook, that probably happens thousands of times every single year at thousands of high schools around this country. This time though this is a student that has had quite a bit of friction with the administration, and has been called a liar by the administration, that just makes the "coincidence" very "interesting". The fact that Darrell can't seem to understand the other side of this issue just seems out of character with his normal thoughtful discourse.

Also btw, the superintendents "you were in the yearbook 15 times" part of the explanation just goes to show the callous nature in which the administration of Floyd County schools is treating Dalton. The superintendent also states that there were "several different individuals" involved with reviewing the yearbook, but incredibly none of the "several" people happened to notice that the STARTING POINT GUARD, and most controversial member of the team(in their minds) was missing from the senior tribute to the basketball team. Come on now, does that pass the "smell test"? But alas, I have "rushed to condemn them"...

Also as an aside, I have actually followed this situation since it began back in April, so I have not rushed to do anything in regards to what has happened...

CitizenBBN
08-14-2015, 06:48 PM
That is why I keep asking Darrell if he has read all of the articles(that have the accuser and 3 other sources all telling the same story, and a 911 dispatcher classifying the 911 call as a report of "terroristic threats", and the school calling Dalton and the reporter liars)...I am actually a little shocked with Darrell's hard line with this issue because I would think that if he had read all of the articles about the issue he would come to understand why some people just can't believe in this "coincidence". This isn't simply a situation where a random student gets randomly left out of the yearbook, that probably happens thousands of times every single year at thousands of high schools around this country. This time though this is a student that has had quite a bit of friction with the administration, and has been called a liar by the administration, that just makes the "coincidence" very "interesting".

It makes it "interesting" no doubt, but your position that this is some kind of retribution or grudge or other ax to grind requires that administrator(s) knowingly took a swipe at this kid out of spite with everything to lose and nothing to gain.

Like I said it's possible, people can be pretty dang dumb and even self-harming, but just as you see it as too much of a coincidence to not be likely, I see it as too much of an easily avoided crap storm for them to jump into it with their necks out.

Other than not supporting him in this insult thing I know of nothing else they've done against him, and they did that to avoid a controversy and issues. They didn't attack him, they just didn't support him b/c doing so only gives them more work and headaches.

It wouldn't shock me if someone somewhere along the chain did intentionally leave him out, but I doubt it was an "administrative" decision beyond that person, and yes it could just be coincidences.

Garak was right: I believe in coincidences, coincidences happen every day. But I dont' trust coincidences.

So I don't just assume this was an error, but at the same time there have been far more interesting coincidences than this one.

Doc
08-14-2015, 07:30 PM
It makes it "interesting" no doubt, but your position that this is some kind of retribution or grudge or other ax to grind requires that administrator(s) knowingly took a swipe at this kid out of spite with everything to lose and nothing to gain.

Like I said it's possible, people can be pretty dang dumb and even self-harming, but just as you see it as too much of a coincidence to not be likely, I see it as too much of an easily avoided crap storm for them to jump into it with their necks out.

Other than not supporting him in this insult thing I know of nothing else they've done against him, and they did that to avoid a controversy and issues. They didn't attack him, they just didn't support him b/c doing so only gives them more work and headaches.

It wouldn't shock me if someone somewhere along the chain did intentionally leave him out, but I doubt it was an "administrative" decision beyond that person, and yes it could just be coincidences.

Garak was right: I believe in coincidences, coincidences happen every day. But I dont' trust coincidences.

So I don't just assume this was an error, but at the same time there have been far more interesting coincidences than this one.

No, it doesn't mean the administrators took a swipe. It means the student editors may have taken as swipe. Students can be as vindictive as anybody else, and in many cases even more so. Adult usuallyl have a conscience. The students had nothing to lose which is why they could have done it. The administrator have lots to lose which is exactly why they would put forth a "this was an accidental oversight" excuse.

CitizenBBN
08-14-2015, 07:49 PM
No, it doesn't mean the administrators took a swipe. It means the student editors may have taken as swipe. Students can be as vindictive as anybody else, and in many cases even more so. Adult usuallyl have a conscience. The students had nothing to lose which is why they could have done it. The administrator have lots to lose which is exactly why they would put forth a "this was an accidental oversight" excuse.

could definitely have been a student, no doubt.

KeithKSR
08-14-2015, 08:48 PM
That is why I keep asking Darrell if he has read all of the articles(that have the accuser and 3 other sources all telling the same story, and a 911 dispatcher classifying the 911 call as a report of "terroristic threats", and the school calling Dalton and the reporter liars)...I am actually a little shocked with Darrell's hard line with this issue because I would think that if he had read all of the articles about the issue he would come to understand why some people just can't believe in this "coincidence". This isn't simply a situation where a random student gets randomly left out of the yearbook, that probably happens thousands of times every single year at thousands of high schools around this country. This time though this is a student that has had quite a bit of friction with the administration, and has been called a liar by the administration, that just makes the "coincidence" very "interesting". The fact that Darrell can't seem to understand the other side of this issue just seems out of character with his normal thoughtful discourse.

Also btw, the superintendents "you were in the yearbook 15 times" part of the explanation just goes to show the callous nature in which the administration of Floyd County schools is treating Dalton. The superintendent also states that there were "several different individuals" involved with reviewing the yearbook, but incredibly none of the "several" people happened to notice that the STARTING POINT GUARD, and most controversial member of the team(in their minds) was missing from the senior tribute to the basketball team. Come on now, does that pass the "smell test"? But alas, I have "rushed to condemn them"...

Also as an aside, I have actually followed this situation since it began back in April, so I have not rushed to do anything in regards to what has happened...

We have approximately 440 students in our school, the teacher in charge of the yearbook can't name more than a few starters on our girls or boys basketball teams. This is why I can believe it was an inadvertent omission.

KeithKSR
08-14-2015, 08:57 PM
could definitely have been a student, no doubt.

Administrators are pretty much hands off when it comes to yearbooks.

Darrell KSR
08-14-2015, 09:57 PM
We have approximately 440 students in our school, the teacher in charge of the yearbook can't name more than a few starters on our girls or boys basketball teams. This is why I can believe it was an inadvertent omission.

Absolutely. Or a student, who is responsible in my kids' school (and maybe yours, too). And it's generally a nerdy, don't go to games, have their own thing kinda kid--nothing wrong with that, of course.

MT, I'm not trying to ignore you. I've read every word of all articles, and they're pretty lacking in direct correlation, and pretty high in forming an agenda. We've seen sports articles similarly done that have attacked UK or John Calipari, and generally see through them. I'd love to see the same here.

I generally make my point, and find that, in cases like this, there's little convincing of others who hold contrary points. I mean no ill will with it; I just find it pretty much a waste of time to continue down the same trek.

I've given numerous personal examples. I know this to be true, and not fantastical; that there are plenty of scenarios in which the race to condemnation is a lynch mob without evidence.

People can believe what they want to believe. And my belief may be that it was intentional, or it may be that it was negligent. The thing is, my posts do not depend on what a person believes, but what is a fair procedure and what is reasonable and logically consistent.

My post here is a little like George Burns talking to John Denver in, "Oh, God." Denver is frustrated because people don't believe that he's seen God, in the form of George Burns. Burns tells him that his job is done in just sewing the seeds. I don't get frustrated anymore since I adopted that position; and I find generally others don't get frustrated as much when I allow them to have their last say or two or three without my corresponding diametrically opposed viewpoint. I hope it didn't offend.

kingcat
08-14-2015, 10:12 PM
Seldom have I seen a wrong opinion here on this site. Only opinions I sometimes disagree with.

jazyd
08-14-2015, 10:53 PM
Have not read any of the articles nor will I, reading here is enough

Could it gave been a mistake, most definite. Try proof reading something with that many pictures, stories whatever and there will be mistakes. I have proof read many ads, many catalogs, papers, articles and mistakes happen all the time regardless of how many times you look at something. Mick has done the same thing.

My best mistake was a double truck AD...both pages of the paper....we did in Hopkinsville for JC Penney when I was a senior merchandise mgr for them. Paper came out once a week and each of us was responsible for proofing our part of the AD, I proofed mine and initialed it
Paper came out that Wed evening and I immediately called the asst mgr in fear.
The men's dept was one of my areas and we marked down some men's double knit leisure suits for $14.99.
Well first thing Thursday morning in comes two retired gentlemen that wanted to see our
DOUBLE KNIt SHITS for $14.99. Then they died laughing. Thankfully they were the only ones who mentioned my Knit SHITs that were on sale

When you look at things you are familiar with or totally unfamiliar with, you think you see what you are supposed to be seeing even though it's not there

**** happens, even double knit ones :)

kingcat
08-15-2015, 12:24 PM
UK basketball's history with the NCAA leads many to believe we were and are targeted by that entity. By using the logic heralded here I now find that quite a reach.

CitizenBBN
08-16-2015, 12:27 PM
UK basketball's history with the NCAA leads many to believe we were and are targeted by that entity. By using the logic heralded here I now find that quite a reach.

So if I believe in one "conspiracy", one backed up by a mound of actual events spanning years, I have to believe in them all even before there is an investigation?

There is a pattern of different standards for different schools by the ncaa. Has this high school done anything to form a pattern of discrimination to this point? They dismissed this kids probably valid claims of having been insulted during a road game, that seems to be it to this point. That's not even close to the pattern of behavior of the ncaa, but I have to accept it bc I accept the other?

The kid was most likely taunted, and felt the school should do something about it, the school chose to try to avoid the controversy and let it go. That's created an issue between the kid and the school, and maybe motivated someone to retaliate against him and maybe it was just a mistake, we don't know.

It's also as likely the retaliation wasn't bc he is gay as much as the rift created between the parties, but it's a very petty way to do it that creates more headaches for the administration with no real gain. That's why I'm betting if it was done it was by someone lower down who didn't think of how big the issue might become.

kingcat
08-16-2015, 12:36 PM
The obvious contention is between the school system and the reporting agency pursuing the young man's case against them. There are accusations from both sides against each other. Such publicly and officialy shared contention has never been evident that I recall between the NCAA and UK. If it were I am sure there would have been official inquiries of the NCAA and it's practices.

Just to be sure, I am only playing devils advocate here. There is little difference in the logic being applied imho.

That is, if one does not start out with a preconceived opinion. Then logic doesn't apply at all.
It may be that the question should be, who in this situation assumes the role of the NCAA, and who of UK?

MTcatfan
08-17-2015, 11:35 AM
I think both sides are reasonable, I just am against suggesting that one side is not reasonable. I understand that some may see this as an innocent mistake, I just don't see it that way. If it happened to _____ ______, the senior starting center, I would see it as more of an innocent mistake, when it happens to a person who has had a problem with administration, I see it as less than an innocent mistake.

Darrell, as far as the articles go, is it the reporters lack of naming his 3 sources other than the accuser that makes you doubt his veracity? I am just wondering because having 3 sources and the 911 call being classified as a report of "terroristic threat", makes me lean towards believing the accuser over the school. Sure the article is slanted, but it seems that there was at least an effort to come up with sources and corroboration. The difference between this story and the John Calipari example you use, is that the Cal stuff never has any actual sources, 1 source, or something as concrete at a 911 call. Do you doubt the Parrish story about Cal from last week about him confronting the coach accusing him of cheating, because Parrish doesn't name the sources, but claims he had at least 5 sources back up this story, but he names none of them. So do you doubt the veracity of Parrish's story because it doesn't have named sources? I would have more doubt about the story if the reporter didn't claim to have sources and have the 911 call, but he does. Its no real skin off my back, and I just am wanting to better understand where you are coming from here as to the veracity of the story.

KeithKSR
08-17-2015, 12:17 PM
I think both sides are reasonable, I just am against suggesting that one side is not reasonable. I understand that some may see this as an innocent mistake, I just don't see it that way. If it happened to _____ ______, the senior starting center, I would see it as more of an innocent mistake, when it happens to a person who has had a problem with administration, I see it as less than an innocent mistake.

Darrell, as far as the articles go, is it the reporters lack of naming his 3 sources other than the accuser that makes you doubt his veracity? I am just wondering because having 3 sources and the 911 call being classified as a report of "terroristic threat", makes me lean towards believing the accuser over the school. Sure the article is slanted, but it seems that there was at least an effort to come up with sources and corroboration. The difference between this story and the John Calipari example you use, is that the Cal stuff never has any actual sources, 1 source, or something as concrete at a 911 call. Do you doubt the Parrish story about Cal from last week about him confronting the coach accusing him of cheating, because Parrish doesn't name the sources, but claims he had at least 5 sources back up this story, but he names none of them. So do you doubt the veracity of Parrish's story because it doesn't have named sources? I would have more doubt about the story if the reporter didn't claim to have sources and have the 911 call, but he does. Its no real skin off my back, and I just am wanting to better understand where you are coming from here as to the veracity of the story.

I look at it from the perspective that only one side of the story is being reported.

Doc
08-17-2015, 01:15 PM
I look at it from the perspective that only one side of the story is being reported.

The school's side of the story was report and linked in the original article LINK (http://www.outsports.com/2015/8/14/9157133/betsy-layne-high-school-yearbook-omission) and (LINK (http://www.outsports.com/2015/8/14/9157133/betsy-layne-high-school-yearbook-omission)). You just had to click on it to find it.

Here is their story for those who feel like you and do not believe that side is being reported.

"Today my office has been contacted by several media outlets asking for our response to an allegation made in an article on the Outsports.com website. According to the author, there was an organized and deliberate attempt by school staff to omit an individual student athlete's picture from the yearbook because the student athlete had publicly announced that he was gay.

"A district level administrator was assigned to conduct an inquiry into the allegation and report his findings directly to me. Yes, the individual picture for the student athlete was omitted from the school's basketball section through error. According to the photographer, the student athlete did have his picture taken along with other team members but he requested the digital file be sent to him for approval and editing and she did comply with his request. The file was returned by the student athlete to the photographer but the file that was sent by the photographer to the school did to not contain a photo for this specific student athlete. During the review process at the school which involved several different individuals the omission was not found.

"As to the assertion there was a deliberate attempt to harass the student athlete by omitting his photograph from the yearbook, that claim is totally false and without merit. The student appears in the yearbook in fifteen separate photos. The photos are both group and individual and one is a Senior Superlative for School Spirit. There are also several photos of the student athlete taken during basketball games. We do acknowledge that none of these images may be as meaningful to the student athlete as his individual basketball picture and we apologize to him and his family for the error.

"During this research we discovered that a very limited number of omissions occurred in other schools in our district with the 2014-2015 yearbook. To resolve these unintentional errors, I have directed that any pages where omissions occurred be reprinted as inserts. Any individual who purchased a yearbook and wishes a copy of the insert will be able to obtain one from our office. Expect additional information about that in the near future.

"We teach our students that when you make a mistake that you acknowledge your error, express regret and if possible, correct your actions. We can't expect our children to learn these lessons if we don't model them."

I do not believe that either explanation is unreasonable. I do believe one is more likely. I typically am one to give an accused the benefit of the doubt, just my nature do to so. However in this case, based on the publicity that occurred prior to the publication of the yearbook, I find a simple omission difficult to believe. It's not unreasonable, just difficult given the circumstances