PDA

View Full Version : Really hot, new record

jazyd
08-12-2015, 07:37 AM
Jackson metro area broke a record yesterday that gas stood since 1896, 119 years. 30 straight days over 95. And a bunch 100 or higher. Heat indexes have hit 115.

While the south part of the city got a great rain yesterday morning, ten miles away at my house, nothing. My water bill will be HIGH this month.

But we are supposed to get it to the lower 90's rest of the week :)

suncat05
08-12-2015, 09:00 AM
Yeah, it has been brutally hot down here in SW Florida too. Temps at my house, according to my weather station have been right at or over 100* every day for since the first of July. I haven't been doing much of anything outside unless I absolutely have to. Taking the dogs out to do their business, and not even walking them much. It's just too darn hot!

Darrell KSR
08-12-2015, 11:48 AM
Did my old man slow jog on the flat parts, walk up the hills (337' elevation change where I "ran") Monday. It was 5:30-6:30, and 95 degrees. Just. Too. Hot. I stopped and drank a full 16.9 oz water bottle in the middle of my 3.5 mile venture. Not worth the risk of pushing it.

jazyd
08-12-2015, 01:55 PM
I have been playing golf on sunday afternoons and walking at 9 at night but that is it. I have drank so much water and even gatorade

Darrell KSR
08-12-2015, 02:39 PM
Jazy, I keep a small cooler in the back of my SUV. I usually throw a small plastic shopping bag of ice cubes from my freezer in it in the morning--doesn't have to completely fill up the cooler, just "enough." If I'm anywhere around, I'll grab a water bottle. Find I'm drinking a lot more water this way, which is good in this heat.

Also, learned something pretty cool the other day. I don't like to just drink the water bottle and throw it away. I go through multiple of them per day (and I also offer them to my kids, or friends, or whomever). So I'll take the "good" bottles--like Dasani, which are thicker--and put them in the freezer. Instead of throwing ice cubes in the cooler, I'll leave a small amount of cool water at the bottom, and put the frozen water bottles in it. It makes all the water bottles cold, and if for some strange reason it was so very hot, or I waited two days, or something where the other water bottles weren't cold, the frozen/unfrozen bottle would still be cold.

suncat05
08-12-2015, 02:48 PM
Did my old man slow jog on the flat parts, walk up the hills (337' elevation change where I "ran") Monday. It was 5:30-6:30, and 95 degrees. Just. Too. Hot. I stopped and drank a full 16.9 oz water bottle in the middle of my 3.5 mile venture. Not worth the risk of pushing it.

Goodness Darrell! Please be careful!

Darrell KSR
08-13-2015, 11:47 AM
No worries, suncat. I'm like an old man, I take it so easy when I do that.

A few weeks ago I had a telephone conference call I had to take, and I took it at home. Before going into the office, I decided I'd run around my neighborhood. That was from 10:30-11:30, in sun with no shade. It scared me as I was going through it as I got a little dizzy and realized I did not need to be doing that at my age. So I have stopped that and have moved into late, late afternoon, or inside on a treadmill. I won't push it. Not worth it.