PDA

View Full Version : Funny sayings people get wrong

Darrell KSR
08-07-2015, 10:03 PM
Saw a new one tonight. Rather than call something a "bunk bed," they called it a "buck bed."

Wonder if there is a "doe bed" that goes along with it?

And does it go with the "Chester drawers" 8 the bedroom?

What are some you've heard?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

blueboss
08-07-2015, 11:59 PM
I overheard s lady ask her server if a salad came with all of the dinner entries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darrell KSR
08-08-2015, 07:34 AM
People always say, "it's a MUTE point," instead of moot point.

Doc
08-08-2015, 08:46 AM
I could care less about this thread. Irreguardless of what others think, it's rediculous

elicat
08-08-2015, 04:51 PM
See, this could of been a good thread...

blueboss
08-08-2015, 05:45 PM
How's about submitting it in a vanilla envelope/foeder

kingcat
08-08-2015, 06:33 PM
How's about submitting it in a vanilla envelope

Yeah, that'd be a blessing in the skies.

Oh, and throw in some sort of affidavid for solid proof. I think I have a touch of old-timer's disease.

signed..
Bob Wire

CitizenBBN
08-08-2015, 08:07 PM
"Could care less" is a great one Doc, that one's so common it made Weird Al's song "Word Crimes".

he has several in there, including the incorrect use of the word "literally".

Doc
08-08-2015, 08:26 PM
I'm sure you lawyer type have heard of the Statues of Limitations

http://www.nps.gov/stli/planyourvisit/images/Statue-279x386-less-shadow.jpg

At work, I get them all the time. My favorite is Kennel cough which is caused by Bordetella and something we vaccinate for. It is often referred to by clients as bordello which is somthing totally different!

Darrell KSR
08-08-2015, 08:57 PM
See, this could of been a good thread...

love that one.

Darrell KSR
08-08-2015, 08:57 PM
I'm sure you lawyer type have heard of the Statues of Limitations

http://www.nps.gov/stli/planyourvisit/images/Statue-279x386-less-shadow.jpg

At work, I get them all the time. My favorite is Kennel cough which is caused by Bordetella and something we vaccinate for. It is often referred to by clients as bordello which is somthing totally different!

Good one!

Darrell KSR
08-08-2015, 08:58 PM
I overheard s lady ask her server if a salad came with all of the dinner entries.

haven't heard that one, but I like it.

Darrell KSR
08-08-2015, 08:59 PM
Yeah, that'd be a blessing in the skies.

Oh, and throw in some sort of affidavid for solid proof. I think I have a touch of old-timer's disease.

signed..
Bob Wire

Affidavid is one I've heard a long time, but never really focused on.

PedroDaGr8
08-10-2015, 06:28 PM
"Could care less" is a great one Doc, that one's so common it made Weird Al's song "Word Crimes".

he has several in there, including the incorrect use of the word "literally".
People love to get all worked up, as if the opposite meaning of literally are a new thing. Literally has been used to mean figuratively for almost as long as as it has been used to mean literally. Since the 1700s, literally has been used to mean figuratively. This is not a new phenomenon.

Even the concept of a word having two diametrically opposite meanings is not unique. Oversight can mean to watch to prevent errors or an error that was missed. Dust can mean to remove dust (what you do to your house) our to add dust (what you do to crops/plants). Bad can mean something negative or it can mean something top notch (he's one bad guitar player).

Literally is following a similar path to the word very. Which used to mean truthful, real or genuine (same root as the Latin word veritas) but became an adverb intensifier. Other words have done this as well. For example: absolutely, really, totally, etc.

On top of that, the word definitely is beginning to follow a similar trajectory. With a figurative usage actually meaning it's opposite. I definitely

So getting bothered by the way literally is being used is a bit pointless because history shows that not only is it a valid and common definition almost since conception of the word but it is following a pathway that has historical precedent.

dan_bgblue
08-10-2015, 08:22 PM
You've got another thing coming.

He died of prostrate cancer

Doc
08-10-2015, 09:32 PM
People love to get all worked up, as if the opposite meaning of literally are a new thing. Literally has been used to mean figuratively for almost as long as as it has been used to mean literally. Since the 1700s, literally has been used to mean figuratively. This is not a new phenomenon.

Even the concept of a word having two diametrically opposite meanings is not unique. Oversight can mean to watch to prevent errors or an error that was missed. Dust can mean to remove dust (what you do to your house) our to add dust (what you do to crops/plants). Bad can mean something negative or it can mean something top notch (he's one bad guitar player).

Literally is following a similar path to the word very. Which used to mean truthful, real or genuine (same root as the Latin word veritas) but became an adverb intensifier. Other words have done this as well. For example: absolutely, really, totally, etc.

On top of that, the word definitely is beginning to follow a similar trajectory. With a figurative usage actually meaning it's opposite. I definitely

So getting bothered by the way literally is being used is a bit pointless because history shows that not only is it a valid and common definition almost since conception of the word but it is following a pathway that has historical precedent.

Sounds like when people bring their pets to me for a "worming". No, they bring it for a DEWORMING.

PedroDaGr8
08-10-2015, 09:33 PM
Sounds like when people bring their pets to me for a "worming". No, they bring it for a DEWORMING.
You just reminded me. Every job I've been employed at has had "sexual harassment training". Pretty sure they aren't training me to be a better sexual harasser.

Doc
08-10-2015, 09:34 PM
You've got another thing coming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xJ9e7alMdk

Darrell KSR
08-10-2015, 10:18 PM
You just reminded me. Every job I've been employed at has had "sexual harassment training". Pretty sure they aren't training me to be a better sexual harasser.

Winner. Yes, I've been trained in that area, too.

CitizenBBN
08-11-2015, 10:59 AM
Winner. Yes, I've been trained in that area, too.

We've all been trained in that area, it's called elementary school. So long as it ends with claiming the other sex has cooties I think it's pretty benign. :)

blueboss
08-11-2015, 12:17 PM
An observation which is off topic but nevertheless perplexing.

Why in the world are they still stocking toothpaste on the shelves that's not "extra whitening" ? Is there a point when you've used too much extra whitening toothpaste and your teeth are too white and you need to go with the regular toothpaste to tone them down? (This quandary does not apply to Hoosiers they need extra pink for their gums).

ShoesSwayedBlue
08-11-2015, 12:23 PM
For all intensive purposes, this thread is defanately over. :trink39:

PedroDaGr8
08-11-2015, 02:00 PM
An observation which is off topic but nevertheless perplexing.

Why in the world are they still stocking toothpaste on the shelves that's not "extra whitening" ? Is there a point when you've used too much extra whitening toothpaste and your teeth are too white and you need to go with the regular toothpaste to tone them down? (This quandary does not apply to Hoosiers they need extra pink for their gums).

Whitening toothpastes can cause excessive sensitivity with continuous use. While I am not one that is prone to it, I have known some others that if they used a whitening toothpaste more than a few weeks, their teeth became very sensitive and painful. Cessation of use resulted in the sensitivity going away.

blueboss
08-11-2015, 08:18 PM
Whitening toothpastes can cause excessive sensitivity with continuous use. While I am not one that is prone to it, I have known some others that if they used a whitening toothpaste more than a few weeks, their teeth became very sensitive and painful. Cessation of use resulted in the sensitivity going away.

I read something about the sensitivity, that's why I use Sensodine Extra Whitening which is right next to the regular Synsodine

kingcat
08-11-2015, 08:41 PM
Heavy stuff my brothers!

Anyway, in the words of Bob Dylan.."These ants are my friends, they’re blowin’ in the wind"

blueboss
08-12-2015, 07:48 PM
I'll have to put that one away in my chesterdrawers

kingcat
08-12-2015, 08:47 PM
I'll have to put that one away in my chesterdrawers

Chester always was a crazy dude. I wonder if he goes by Chet? You know..the one who roasted nuts on an open fire every Christmas.

CitizenBBN
08-12-2015, 08:55 PM

All a fair argument, but you're questioning Weird Al, and I'm pretty sure that's a crime, at least for us geeks. :)

No doubt words evolve, and often take on different and even opposite meanings, but only through what is technically a misuse of the word that just catches on, often as slang or for emphasis. Your example of "bad" is a great one in that way. I'm old enough to remember when that was still in transition, at least that's how I remember it as a kid.

But with "literally" i see it as more of a misuse due to not knowing the definition than the application of a word to be cool or hip or whatever. It's definitely being used as you describe, but I'm with Weird Al that it's just b/c people don't know what it means.

blueboss
08-12-2015, 10:39 PM
It's twenty till twelve

PedroDaGr8
08-12-2015, 10:41 PM
All a fair argument, but you're questioning Weird Al, and I'm pretty sure that's a crime, at least for us geeks. :)

No doubt words evolve, and often take on different and even opposite meanings, but only through what is technically a misuse of the word that just catches on, often as slang or for emphasis. Your example of "bad" is a great one in that way. I'm old enough to remember when that was still in transition, at least that's how I remember it as a kid.

But with "literally" i see it as more of a misuse due to not knowing the definition than the application of a word to be cool or hip or whatever. It's definitely being used as you describe, but I'm with Weird Al that it's just b/c people don't know what it means.

Weird Al aside :unworthy: I think the definition not only has already changed, it changed LONG LONG ago. As such, I believe that people DO understand BOTH meanings and which of them is being used at the time. The meaning is clearly indicated via context and I have yet to hear a person use literal in the figurative way when the meant in the direct way.

kingcat
08-12-2015, 11:04 PM
In other words..it's now bi-literally defined

badrose
08-15-2015, 07:51 AM
Heavy stuff my brothers!

Anyway, in the words of Bob Dylan.."These ants are my friends, they’re blowin’ in the wind"

"There's a bathroom on the right."

kingcat
08-16-2015, 10:06 AM
"There's a bathroom on the right."

That's my band hehe.

I always laughed at..."Hold me close, young Tony Danza."

blueboss
08-18-2015, 06:18 PM
Safety deposit box...

blueboss
09-22-2015, 01:55 AM
I'm at a Nissan plant in Tn (long story), anyway I just heard guy telling someone that his Cadillac converter went out and it's going to cost him $800.

Darrell KSR
09-22-2015, 10:23 AM
I'm at a Nissan plant in Tn (long story), anyway I just heard guy telling someone that his Cadillac converter went out and it's going to cost him $800.

That's a good one!

Doc
09-22-2015, 10:36 AM

The one I get at work frequently is anal sacs vs anal sex. Folks often confuse the glands that sit beneath a dog or cats tail that store a material that are called the ANAL SACS with something totally different.

kingcat
09-22-2015, 11:26 AM
The one I get at work frequently is anal sacs vs anal sex. Folks often confuse the glands that sit beneath a dog or cats tail that store a material that are called the ANAL SACS with something totally different.

I'd report those people..

MickintheHam
09-22-2015, 04:11 PM

It's that Kentucky twang of yours. People can't understand what you're saying when you make sacs a two syllable word.

Doc
09-22-2015, 05:30 PM
It's that Kentucky twang of yours. People can't understand what you're saying when you make sacs a two syllable word.

You have to remember where I learned to talk "veterinarian". That was in the state of Alabama!

blueboss
09-24-2015, 05:25 PM
That's a good one!

It's funny as soon as I heard the guy reference Cadillac converter the first thing I thought of was this thread. I immediately reached for my phone.

Doc
09-29-2015, 03:05 PM
I've been watching Californication on Netflix and they had this one on there... "panty waist". Its panty waste, not waist. Sure, they sound the same but they are different. Of course some argue panty waist is correct but logic says the latter is far more offensive.

CitizenBBN
09-29-2015, 09:15 PM
"First come, first serve."

It's "first served", grammatically "come" there is a past participle, so "serve" has to be past tense.

kingcat
09-29-2015, 10:04 PM
"First come, first serve."

It's "first served", grammatically "come" there is a past participle, so "serve" has to be past tense.

Even if you're talking to lunchroom workers or tennis pros?

MickintheHam
09-30-2015, 02:55 PM
"snuck". Arrrgh!!!! It wasn't in the dictionary until about 15 years ago, but its improper use was so rampant Webster's evidently gave up. Sneak, Sneaked, Sneaked.

badrose
09-30-2015, 03:29 PM
I'd report those people..

Not something I'd wanna look into.

PedroDaGr8
10-02-2015, 07:29 AM
"snuck". Arrrgh!!!! It wasn't in the dictionary until about 15 years ago, but its improper use was so rampant Webster's evidently gave up. Sneak, Sneaked, Sneaked.
You know, I didn't even realize this hasn't always been a word until you said so. I have heard it my whole life, so I just assumed it always had been. Very interesting.

Sent from my LG-ls990 using Tapatalk

Doc
10-02-2015, 07:32 AM
You know, I didn't even realize this hasn't always been a word until you said so. I have heard it my whole life, so I just assumed it always had been. Very interesting.

Yep, they snuck it in there

PedroDaGr8
10-02-2015, 07:42 AM
Yep, they snuck it in there
http://i.imgur.com//BbgL7x3.gif

kingcat
10-11-2015, 10:20 AM
This Louisville fan adds one I'd never seen before..

Man it seems so long ago the Cards were 2013 mens National Champs , Womens team in Final Four , Football team wins Sugar Bowl and Baseball team in College World Series . That was a great year and something I personally took for granit

MickintheHam
10-12-2015, 04:12 PM

My Core teacher in 8th Grade at Seneca, Roxie Hoffman, gave all but 4 students in our class failing grades on a paper we wrote for using "snuck". She was one of the best English and writing instructors I ever had. I would have hated to have been with her the day she found the word was added.

Darrell KSR
10-20-2015, 05:49 PM
Brand new one I saw today. Somebody wrote that they wanted to "air on the side of caution."

:)

kingcat
10-20-2015, 10:15 PM
Some of these remind me of a Rugrats episode...so help me Bob.

https://towsonsam.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/8-am-classes.gif

http://s3-static-ak.buzzfed.com/static/2015-10/20/16/campaign_images/webdr11/17-of-chuckie-finsters-best-lines-on-rugrats-2-28290-1445372793-0_big.jpg
"I'll be glad when things just get back to Norman 'round here"

Darrell KSR
10-21-2015, 12:02 PM
My daughter gave me a new one --

A patient told her that she was "lactose AND tolerant."

I'm. Not. Quite. Sure. What. That. Means. It is possible that she was being literal. :)

kingcat
10-21-2015, 09:15 PM
My daughter gave me a new one --

A patient told her that she was "lactose AND tolerant."

I'm. Not. Quite. Sure. What. That. Means. It is possible that she was being literal. :)

On the surface it sounds like a girl any young man would like to date.

Hey baby, I'm "lactose AND tolerant.tonight"

..well, hop on in here. we is headed strait to the drive-in!"

Darrell KSR
10-21-2015, 09:36 PM
On the surface it sounds like a girl any young man would like to date.

Hey baby, I'm "lactose AND tolerant.tonight"

..well, hop on in here. we is headed strait to the drive-in!"

Oh, my...

CitizenBBN
10-21-2015, 11:02 PM
Been on here since about 1998 I think. First post of Kingcat's I wish I hadn't read. ;)

kingcat
10-23-2015, 09:48 PM
Been on here since about 1998 I think. First post of Kingcat's I wish I hadn't read. ;)

I was under the bad influence of these two movie characters.

http://chrisandelizabethwatchmovies.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/a-madea-christmas-3.jpg?w=625&h=416

ShoesSwayedBlue
10-28-2015, 01:12 PM
The wife saw one on Facebook about a guy talking about how horrible the Hall Of Cost was. Yes, it's true. Seen it myself. :happy0001:

BTW, if you ever hear about someone beating anyone to death because the beatee said 'I seen', rest assured it will be me who is the beater.

Doc
10-29-2015, 11:01 AM
How much did the hall cost?

Darrell KSR
10-31-2015, 06:48 AM
This is one I've seen argued, but it is "beck and call," not "beckon call."

kingcat
10-31-2015, 10:26 AM
This is one I've seen argued, but it is "beck and call," not "beckon call."

I thought it was bacon call

..I love bacon.

P.S.
My grandson Noah just told us his head was busy. Love them grandkids!

Doc
10-31-2015, 11:49 AM
I thought it was bacon call

..I love bacon.

P.S.
My grandson Noah just told us his head was busy. Love them grandkids!

Natures candy