PDA

View Full Version : I got hacked!

Doc
08-04-2015, 08:44 AM
So whats my responsibility?

One of my smaller gas cards (Citgo) apparently got either skimmed or lifted. Likely one my son uses on occasion. Typically its got a balance of $100 per month. I opened the bill today and it was $825.00 for the month. Looked at the charges and there were 6 charges over a two week span in 1 station in Hialeah FL for EXACTLY 33.19 gallons of diesel fuel. Plus 4 charges at one other station, also in Hialeah FL for unleaded. I live about 100 miles from Hialeah FL and haven't been to Hialeah in months. All the charges were made between 6/19 and 7/2.

I called the company today. Of course the card was in my wife's name so I could do crap, she had to call and of course her phone number was blocked (her work number does not show up on caller ID) so Citgo could not confirm the caller source. And of course we didn't know the phone number associated with the card since the card was acquired 3 homes ago, and of course my wife didn't have the credit card on her so she didn't have the security code on the back of the card (you get the idea)

Anyway, am I going to have to pay this or not? I suspect I won't but from a legal end, what are my responsibilities?

Doc
08-04-2015, 08:47 AM
PS: I just noticed that I was $325 over my credit limit. LOL

ukcatlvr
08-04-2015, 08:58 AM
Sucks. :mad0176: I had a card that was hacked a few years back, not a gas card. I called them and spoke to their security team. They sent me a few things to sign that stated I was not the person who had used the card but if it turned it was me they would prosecute me. I didn't have to pay any of the charges and I'll be out in 6 to 12 months. LOL Joking The charges were for silver and some other things in England. LOL I've been as far as Hawaii but not over the other pond.

Hope your deal goes well too.

KSRBEvans
08-04-2015, 09:20 AM
Doc, you did what I would've done to advise of the fraud ASAP.

The federal Fair Credit Billing Act gives you the right to dispute unauthorized charges on the card. You have up to 60 days after the first bill with the error was mailed to you. More here:

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0219-disputing-credit-card-charges#exercise

You may want to check your credit report to insure that's the only unauthorized charge. Under the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act, everyone's entitled to see 1 free copy of their credit report annually from each of the 3 major credit reporting agencies (Equifax, Experian and Trans Union). You can do so here:

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action

So, for example, you can look at a free copy of your Equifax report today, your Experian report 4 months from now, your Trans Union report 4 months after that, then 4 months after that you can review your Equifax report again, etc. Gives you a chance to see a rolling snapshot of what your report looks like and catch any inaccuracies.

You can also place a fraud alert on your credit report:

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0275-place-fraud-alert

but understand that may be a double-edged sword. It will make it harder for the bad guy to access credit in your name, but also may make it a little more painful for you to do so, too.

If there's anything inaccurate on your credit report, you have the right to dispute it under the FCRA. More on how to do so here:

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/pdf-0096-fair-credit-reporting-act.pdf

Darrell KSR
08-04-2015, 10:36 AM
Great advice from BEvans. Somehow I think you've helped somebody else(s) before with this. :)

KSRBEvans
08-04-2015, 10:47 AM
^It's been known to come up from time to time. :D

jazyd
08-04-2015, 11:49 AM
I had two cards stolen a year ago within 2 months of each other. One my wife used at Target...:)...and I got a call that asked if I was charging $550 to some place inNY which of course I said no. They sent two new cards for that one.

Two months later as I was going thru my bill for my other Visa card I noticed two things that didn't ring with me. One was for a security on my computer and the other was for $75 worth of gas in Biloxi. Now I had been to Biloxi on that day but I never get gas there because its too high and with my suburban I can wait until I get to a certain station on the way back that is cheaper. So I called the company, Chase, and both were taken off and they sent another card. I think someone at the hotel got my number as it was the only place I used it.

Since then whenever I get gas or any purchase that I can determine the last digit I always end it in the same digit. So if I get gas and I want $40 I will make it $40.04...no that isn't the digit but you get the idea. That way I always know if the purchase is mine of not at least for gas. It also will give me a legit excuse if I have to call Chase again, all my gas charges end the same and they will be able to see it.

I got gas several years back in Texas and used my AX card, I was asked to come inside and had to talk with someone on the line from AX to confirm who I was buying that gas.

Darrell KSR
08-04-2015, 12:18 PM
Since then whenever I get gas or any purchase that I can determine the last digit I always end it in the same digit. So if I get gas and I want $40 I will make it $40.04...no that isn't the digit but you get the idea.

I used to always end it with an even amount, but the way prices are, the darn numbers turn too fast for me to accurately stop it!

KSRdallen
08-04-2015, 12:59 PM
I used to always end it with an even amount, but the way prices are, the darn numbers turn too fast for me to accurately stop it!

Gas pump reflexes are the second thing to go, right after math skills. ;-)

KSRBEvans
08-04-2015, 01:37 PM
BTW, NY Times quiz to see how many times your personal info has been exposed to hackers:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/07/29/technology/personaltech/what-parts-of-your-information-have-been-exposed-to-hackers-quiz.html?smid=tw-share&_r=1

Darrell KSR
08-04-2015, 04:35 PM
Yikes.

How many times your information has been exposed to hackers
Address 3
Birthday 1
Credit or debit card 8
Email 4
Employment history
Financial history
Fingerprints
Health history
Password (encrypted) 2
Phone number 2

Darrell KSR
08-04-2015, 04:36 PM
Increased the credit or debit card exposure to 10 when I added two more that I know my wife has used.

jazyd
08-04-2015, 05:18 PM
Gas pump reflexes are the second thing to go, right after math skills. ;-)

actually those are the second and third :)