PDA

View Full Version : How do you decompress from work?

CGWildcat
07-29-2015, 03:14 PM
Been a busy/rough summer at work with bigtime deadlines, project manager throwing me under the bus a few times as I close out a 2 year project to rewite an entire school curriculum, and very tense meetings the last 3 weeks. I've been with the Coast Guard, active and civilian now for over 31 years of my 51 on earth.

I go home more stressed than I should be over something that will change again in less than 3 more years again. (The avg time a school works with a curriculum before looking at changes from the field, new technology, etc.). A co-worker said yesterday that due to the current leadership in our division, he is only working to "meet expectations" and do nothing outstanding. I had to agree with him. I have no desire to make the bosses look good anymore. The active duty boss will transfer out next summer, he readily admits he's ready to go back to sea now. The project manager however is a lifelong GS employee (GS 13), that everyone wants to see him retire already. Not happening anytime soon.

What do you "civvies" do to get away? How do you decompress? Admittedly, thing have been stressful at the homefront this summer also which doesnt help. Honestly though, I'm ready to walk away and make my photography business full time.

suncat05
07-29-2015, 03:54 PM
When you leave work..........LEAVE WORK!
Now I know that sounds like I have no earthly idea what I'm talking about, but it really is just that simple. And you have your photography, that in itself should be a perfect diversion.
I hardly ever talk about work at home. Just do not do it anymore. My family doesn't want to hear about car chases and child molestors.
Read books. Play with your pets. Spend that precious time with your family, if you can. I don't know what else to tell you aside from leaving work at work. JMHO.

suncat05
07-29-2015, 03:56 PM
And sometimes Coastie, you just have to tell the boss where to get off! Tell him to go pound sand and walk out. He'll figure it out!

Darrell KSR
07-29-2015, 04:11 PM
http://drinks.seriouseats.com/images/2014/01/20131212jimbeamblack.jpg

dan_bgblue
07-29-2015, 04:51 PM
When you leave work..........LEAVE WORK!

That is the best advice possible.

MickintheHam
07-31-2015, 04:37 PM
I go to LA, anywhere from Appalachacola to Gulf Shores. Nothing has to get done when I am there. Happy hour begins at noon. Staring at the Emerald waters let's me forget every SOB on my chit list.