PDA

View Full Version : Should Perryville battlefield be a national park?

UKFlounder
07-29-2015, 10:18 AM
This article says so
http://m.centralkynews.com/amnews/news/local/boyle/perryville-battlefield-national-park-mckinney-kirchner-explain-why-it-s/article_441b425a-33b7-11e5-8d9f-cbbf04a9c01c.html?mode=jqm

I think the battle deserves more national attention, but I'm not sure the national park service is much better off finsncially than the state. I also am not convinced that adding modern buildings to the park is appropriate and eliminating or moving the re-enactment would be a bad thing.

Would a "national" park attract more people than a state one?

Darrell KSR
07-29-2015, 10:58 AM
I'd have to think the national park "advertising/marketing" would bring in more visitors. I guess that's a good thing.

I have to shake my head when I read things like this, however:

To become a national park, the battlefield would have to be designated as such by an act of Congress, and the legislation to do so occurs like any other piece of legislation.

And it would take years.

McKinney said the first step would be a federally-funded, five-year study to determine the feasibility and sustainability of the project, whether the park is being properly maintained, and most importantly, the significance of the site

Five-year study. Really? It takes that long for them to figure something out?

dan_bgblue
07-29-2015, 05:09 PM

When federal money is being spent, on things not involving things they want to do, they can throw up enough roadblocks to make it last that long.

EPA would have to do an extended study on the possibility of endangered species being impacted by increased foot, and auto traffic, and of course they have to survey the area to protect any visible trickle of water, then there would be an intense archeological survey of any sites that might be disturbed in the building of any permanent structure, then there would have to be environmental surveys done to make sure the residents are not negatively impacted by the increase in traffic on small county roads which leads to feasibility studies for widening roads or building new ones, and they would have to project how many employees it would take to man the park and what that would cost, and there is the cost of doing the environmental impact studies on the local businessmen building new facilities to accommodate the new influx of visitors.

I think that covers maybe 20% of what they would have to study before they could make a recommendation.

UKFlounder
07-30-2015, 08:17 AM
I tried to organize some thoughts and questions on this issue as Perryvilke is one of my favorite places to visit.

http://www.civilwarobsession.com/2015/07/should-perryville-become-national-park.html

Darrell KSR
07-31-2015, 12:58 PM
Really enjoyed your comments, Flounder, and visiting around a little on your blog.

dan_bgblue
08-05-2015, 01:39 PM
5 years is nothing compared to this (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/08/05/after-32-years-76-year-old-energy-exec-still-waiting-on-feds/?intcmp=hplnws)

UKFlounder
08-06-2015, 02:14 PM
Wow

Doc
08-06-2015, 05:18 PM

Kick backs, campaign fund contributions, establishing slush funds, political payback appointments, etc ..... all take time