PDA

View Full Version : Lafayette, La. theatre shooting

Darrell KSR
07-27-2015, 04:21 PM
My wife told me last night that one of the deceased (Mayci Breaux) is a cousin of her cousin. I don't think that makes her any relation to her, and she didn't know her, but it is a small world out there.

CitizenBBN
07-27-2015, 09:06 PM
A senseless tragedy in a world of senseless tragedies. That guy had a long history of mental issues and being a threat to himself and others, and little was done.

Our mental health system isn't just broken, it's non-existent. In the interest of political fairness I'll mention that it was under the Reagan administration that we started just putting mentally ill people on the streets as a matter of policy, though it has been the case for a long long time that we just ignore people like this man. He had a long history of issues, and had even been involuntarily committed for mental care, which should have kept him from buying a firearm.

There is a massive mental health crisis in this country, and we treat it with good hopes and tons of chemicals. We need to step back and ask what we're doing.

Darrell KSR
07-27-2015, 10:00 PM
A senseless tragedy in a world of senseless tragedies. That guy had a long history of mental issues and being a threat to himself and others, and little was done.

Our mental health system isn't just broken, it's non-existent. In the interest of political fairness I'll mention that it was under the Reagan administration that we started just putting mentally ill people on the streets as a matter of policy, though it has been the case for a long long time that we just ignore people like this man. He had a long history of issues, and had even been involuntarily committed for mental care, which should have kept him from buying a firearm.

There is a massive mental health crisis in this country, and we treat it with good hopes and tons of chemicals. We need to step back and ask what we're doing.

If I'm not mistaken, we have one mental health facility in the state. And we're cutting funding for it.

We have absolutely no idea how to spend the funds we have. None.

CitizenBBN
07-27-2015, 10:14 PM
It's truly pitiful. From the broader fact that a huge percentage of our population suffers from periodic to systemic depression (what kind of world are we making that none of us can stand to live in it?????), to the "great unwashed" of fundamentally mentally ill people we have just wandering the country as loners, functional psychotics and homeless, we are in a sea of mental health issues and as you point out we aren't increasing focus and funding but just digging our heads deeper in the hole.

It would be a dark comedy if it wasn't so desperately sad.

jazyd
07-27-2015, 11:14 PM
I have said since the Conn shooting that the gov needs to start funding mental health. I forget the figure I read on how much has been cut from the federal and states budgets but it is huge

We give 50 million people food stamps, an increase of over 60% since Obama took office, pay out hundreds of millions in Medicare fraud, hundreds of millions in foreign aid to countries who hate us, hundreds of millions for Michelle and friends/family to travel the world on vacations, we pay for Michelle to have 20 plus assts when no other First Lady has ever had more than one, all those czars who do nothing but we cut funding for those who truly need it. And somehow we need more gun laws on top of the 20,000 we have now

DanISSELisdaman
07-28-2015, 12:31 AM
This was a senseless tragedy, and it's getting widespread media coverage, but how much has anyone heard about the guy that stabbed 5 to death in (I think it was) Oklahoma?