PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 launch

badrose
07-24-2015, 10:46 PM
I'm signed up for the upgrade. Do I need to save browser bookmarks to a file? Any advice on the subject is welcome.

bigsky
07-25-2015, 02:29 PM
"Apple"

Darrell KSR
07-25-2015, 02:39 PM
Windows 10 is an operating software upgrade. Shouldn't affect your Internet browser, should it? I know it will have Internet Explorer upgrade (which I don't use), but every time my browsers upgrade, I don't do anything and bookmarks remain the same.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

CitizenBBN
07-25-2015, 10:10 PM
Windows 10 is an operating software upgrade. Shouldn't affect your Internet browser, should it? I know it will have Internet Explorer upgrade (which I don't use), but every time my browsers upgrade, I don't do anything and bookmarks remain the same.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Pedro will know more but from what I understand the internet explorer part is one of the bigger changes for 10, but I don't know how firefox and chrome will be impacted.

I'm interested in the upgrade, won't do it right off but I am curious, it does offer some interesting features.

Doc
07-26-2015, 11:57 PM
I hear they are trying to go to an annual leasing type format where you pay annually rather than simply paying for it once. If so, I have no interest in upgradeing from my Window 95.

Darrell KSR
08-02-2015, 10:15 PM
FWIW, my son has had it a couple of days now. He's raving about it. He uses three monitors in his setup, and was telling me it automatically brings programs, etc. to all three monitors at the bottom, unlike previous operating software. He says it is super fast, and reminds him of the first time he upgraded from a regular hard drive to a solid state drive in terms of speed. All bookmarks, etc. transferred seemlessly. And that was a Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrade.

I'll be upgrading my 8.1 to 10 when I get the nerve.

CitizenBBN
08-03-2015, 06:42 AM
Thanks for the report. I'm keenly interested in it, though I managed to avoid Windows eight and only have seven, and it works fine for my needs.

Darrell KSR
08-03-2015, 08:15 PM
I would still be running Windows 3.1 if they'd let me.
Thanks for the report. I'm keenly interested in it, though I managed to avoid Windows eight and only have seven, and it works fine for my needs.

badrose
08-07-2015, 09:14 AM
Upgraded yesterday. Except for the partially hidden tool bar it's looking good so far. The upgrade process was seamless.

Darrell KSR
08-07-2015, 10:00 AM
Good deal, badrose. You're better than I am, but I'm probably closer to you than my geek son, so I am happy to hear this before I pull the trigger.

He's upgrading his surface pro3 (has the same one I have), so I'm going to let him do that one for awhile before I bite the bullet and do it for that and my desktop.

Catonahottinroof
08-08-2015, 10:31 AM
If you have MS Office 2013 Windows 10 will kill it. My daughter found this out the hard way.

bigsky
08-08-2015, 10:48 AM
A-P-P-L-E runs Word and Excel better. Still has the controls up top from Office 2003 too.

Darrell KSR
08-08-2015, 11:26 AM
I'll have my son chime in when he can. He has MS Office 2013 on both his desktop and his Surface Pro, both working fine with Windows 10 on each.

If you have MS Office 2013 Windows 10 will kill it. My daughter found this out the hard way.

blueboss
08-09-2015, 12:14 PM
I'm downloading 10 as we speak.

Darrell KSR
08-12-2015, 11:50 AM
Asked my son about Office 2013, and he said that some people have had issues if they are running a cracked (pirated) version. No comment from him on whether he's doing it, but he said that it's an easy fix even if that's the case.

He's 2-for-2 on having everything work flawlessly. I'll be upgrading my Acer notebook and my Surface Pro 3 when I corner him to do it for me.

Darrell KSR
08-15-2015, 08:40 AM
Probably just software talking to software. My son is a geek (double computer networking/programming major), but I've asked him several times if there was anything special he did, and he says no, he's 2-2 in clean installs with Office 2013.

Darrell KSR
09-24-2015, 04:15 PM
Well, I'll let you know soon enough. I just upgraded to Windows 10 to breathe new life into an Aspire One with an underpowered processor, 4gb RAM, etc.

Right now it is flying on Microsoft Edge browser. I'll switch back to Firefox and Chrome later, just wanted to try this one out first. Love the look, and the speed is terrific.

Have not tried My Office 2013 or anything else yet. I'm relying on my son to "fix" it if it goes awry.

By the way, I'd recommend avoiding the "express" installation, and instead use the custom installation. Read each page--still won't take longer than 10 minutes (after it has already been downloaded, etc., which took a few hours on my old computer). But it allowed me to check out of sending info to Microsoft in various areas that seemed unnecessary. May have been irrelevant, but I felt better about it.

Darrell KSR
09-24-2015, 05:24 PM
I've already called my son in to fix it :).

Chrome, Firefox blocked, something funky with Office 2013 (I KNOW, I KNOW, YOU TOLD ME), and I heard him walking through the door. Perfect timing.