PDA

View Full Version : So....mold outside can be dangerous?

Darrell KSR
07-24-2015, 09:36 PM
Son is supposed to play in a little 3v3 tournament tomorrow at the Riverchase soccer fields in Hoover. Received an email tonight that the city of Hoover inspected the soccer fields today, found mold, and have closed all of the fields. Tournament is a last minute move 20 miles north in Gardendale.

I guess I never focused on mold outside being dangerous.

kingcat
07-25-2015, 10:12 AM
Never heard of that before. Not even of anyone checking for mold on playing fields.

I'd wager it more likely the govt. suspicions residual radiation from a cloaked alien landing than mold on the fields.

Must be some other silly reason for it. Maybe a special mold cleanup tax is in store for the locals.

CitizenBBN
07-25-2015, 01:01 PM
Sounds like nonsense to me, or at least a really seriously overactive safety Nazi thing, at least to a guy who as a kid shoveled silage out of wagons all afternoon then blew half a bale of hay out of his nose all night.

Not to mention that we were shoveling it out of a wagon into a spinning bunch of blades that was the corkscrew lift for the silo.

dan_bgblue
07-25-2015, 03:19 PM
Ah the good ole days. That was fun wasn't it. Kind of like hauling baled hay out of a field in a river bottom in 105 degree late July temps, then jumping in a creek before having a bite to eat for lunch. Dang near killed all of us.

CitizenBBN
07-25-2015, 09:51 PM
Dan I don't pretend to be a farmer, I left for the big city far too young to make the claim, but I sure was on one till then and spent many more years on them for summers and more, enough to learn a way of life that involved a lot more common sense and a lot fewer safety Nazis.

I was raised with this absurd notion that I should learn to be responsible and think before I act from the earliest age possible, versus the mantra today where we are to allow kids to run around doing whatever comes into their head and it's up to us to protect them from themselves and not damage their self esteem. :)

That's a big stray from the original topic, but I do find it funny that even outdoors they are checking for mold or whatever. I just think about all the fields I worked in, played in, hunted in, and generally lived in for my formative years. The wooded glens where we built forts, the murky pond water we swam in, the 22 rifles I took out by myself over hill and dale.

I think about all that, and just how un-cleansed my life was versus what I see today.

Heck, in my town we played softtball/baseball and showed movies and such at the old high school that was abandoned, and as a kid we ran around that place, all those old abandoned buildings with all kinds of mess in them, all the time. We were told to "be careful" and "don't do anything dumb" and that was that.

MickintheHam
07-26-2015, 11:39 PM
That field with the "mold" is in the flood plain downhill from the sewage treatment plant.

Darrell KSR
07-27-2015, 12:14 AM
That field with the "mold" is in the flood plain downhill from the sewage treatment plant.

Are you suggesting the mold is a cover story for something more nefarious?

I'm glad I spent the day and evening in Gardendale.

MickintheHam
07-27-2015, 01:54 PM
Are you suggesting the mold is a cover story for something more nefarious?

I'm glad I spent the day and evening in Gardendale.

Not necessarily. But there have been problems with raw sewage on that field for years. Happens every time there is a wet season.