PDA

View Full Version : Funk-Jazz Music

PedroDaGr8
07-24-2015, 11:20 AM
I have always been a fan of funk music, but growing up in the 90s was not commonly exposed to it. Just new the basics like Parliament, George Clinton, Bootsie Collins, etc. Recently, I have gotten into some new bands making new music that would could be best described as a mix of funk, soul and jazz. These are real bands, nothing sampled or recorded, everyone playing their own instruments.

The Shaolin Afronauts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odYJzl6aecM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaT_5KoGh1Q

Ikebe Shakedown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIMykS1TuFs

The Funk Ark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy48Vum36lk

Ariya Astrobeat Arkestra:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbSlSnU2vuo

Anyone else into this style of music or am I the lone weird one? Just curious if you have any other bands I should check out, new or classic.

KSRBEvans
07-24-2015, 11:58 AM
I have a Spotify funk playlist I put together with the classics: James Brown, Sly & The Family Stone, Parliament/PFunk, the Bar Kays, the Ohio Players, early Kool & The Gang before they sold out (Jungle Boogie, Hollywood Swingin), early Commodores before they sold out (Machine Gun, Brick House), etc. I'll check these out--thanks.

Krank
07-24-2015, 12:25 PM
One of the most underrated "funk" groups is better known as overall progenitors of "great Soul music". Some even know them best for their first hit, way back when they were super young.... Ladies and Gentlemen... you know they "make you wanna Shout"...

THE ISLEY BROTHERS...

pretty much all of their records on the original T-Neck label are ultra-PHAT, but I fall off right around the time "Between the Sheets" comes out. There used to be this double CD that is probably out of print now, the "best of the T-Neck Years" and I wore that mother OUT!

Didja see "Get On Up", Pedro?

That's the recent film biopic on the life of James Brown, known to some as "the guy Eddie Murphy impersonated", he's only one of the Top 10 (maybe Top FIVE) most important figures in the history of American music, for those who REALLY don't know.

Especially when he had the JB's, the greatest soul or funk group ever (and I LOVES me some P-Funk, but STILL those guys were incredible), think from the mid-'60's to mid-'70's, in general, for his greatest era, James Brown was nothing short of a musical genius, though never formally trained, performed in his first group as a young man in prison, "just the singer" in most bands, composed never before created or conceived musical concepts, rhythmically radical, from his head to commands to his band... very rare.

Truly the greatest single figure in Soul music history, particularly in that he CREATED funk, and it is not even a question, James Brown, the Godfather INDEED.

PedroDaGr8
07-24-2015, 01:52 PM
One of the most underrated "funk" groups is better known as overall progenitors of "great Soul music". Some even know them best for their first hit, way back when they were super young.... Ladies and Gentlemen... you know they "make you wanna Shout"...

THE ISLEY BROTHERS...

pretty much all of their records on the original T-Neck label are ultra-PHAT, but I fall off right around the time "Between the Sheets" comes out. There used to be this double CD that is probably out of print now, the "best of the T-Neck Years" and I wore that mother OUT!

Didja see "Get On Up", Pedro?

That's the recent film biopic on the life of James Brown, known to some as "the guy Eddie Murphy impersonated", he's only one of the Top 10 (maybe Top FIVE) most important figures in the history of American music, for those who REALLY don't know.

Especially when he had the JB's, the greatest soul or funk group ever (and I LOVES me some P-Funk, but STILL those guys were incredible), think from the mid-'60's to mid-'70's, in general, for his greatest era, James Brown was nothing short of a musical genius, though never formally trained, performed in his first group as a young man in prison, "just the singer" in most bands, composed never before created or conceived musical concepts, rhythmically radical, from his head to commands to his band... very rare.

Truly the greatest single figure in Soul music history, particularly in that he CREATED funk, and it is not even a question, James Brown, the Godfather INDEED.

You know, I never considered The Isley Brothers as a Funk group, and I LOVES me some Isley Brothers, but now that I go back and give a few tracks a listen. They DEFINITELY have some Funk songs. An excellent point, and yes you can't listen to funk without James Brown and without George Clinton. I agree with you on James Brown's musical genius, truly exceptional and truly mind blowing. Sometimes can be a bit difficult to approach for the uninitiated. The closest modern example I can think of for modern music is someone like Richard David James (Aphextwin) for electronic music. He basically is the progenator of several genres of electronic music and is an outright artistic genius but can be difficult for people not used to the style to really get into.

I have a Spotify funk playlist I put together with the classics: James Brown, Sly & The Family Stone, Parliament/PFunk, the Bar Kays, the Ohio Players, early Kool & The Gang before they sold out (Jungle Boogie, Hollywood Swingin), early Commodores before they sold out (Machine Gun, Brick House), etc. I'll check these out--thanks.

Can you share the spotify URI for that playlist? I would like to check it out! (Just right click on the playlist and select Copy Spotify URI).

MickintheHam
07-24-2015, 02:01 PM
Thanks for sharing this. it my be a bit avant garde for a son of the 60's but growing up I played trombone and was in a band. So my musical tastes were formed listening to Miles Davis, the Parliments, The Wicked Wilson Pickett and The Godfather himself. I loved a lot of the music that came out of Stax records in Memphis and for me there is no better way to spend a weekend night in the summer than sitting on the back deck, with a B&B, and listening to Booker T and the MGs or a little Hot Buttered Soul with Isaac Hayes. Now living in the Ham, I love listening to Sun Ra. But funk, fusion, jazz, soul, rhythm and blues, and bebop are staples in all the music I enjoy. Give me something with a good rhythm and steady beat.

I'm going to see what I can find with these artists. Of these I really like Funk Art and Ariya Astrobeat. It may sound a bit crazy, but when I was in school we had the Exiles from Richmond come to the house for parties 2 or three times. Back then Church Street Soul Revival was their big hit. This was before they went a bit country and changed the name to Exile. They were part of a sound called Garage Funk. The sound of Ariya Astrobeat reminds me a lot the of the Exiles Sound of the early 70s. Thanks for expanding my musical knowledge. I really do appreciate it.

bigsky
07-24-2015, 02:22 PM
Stomp & Buck Dance by the Crusaders

Krank
07-24-2015, 04:42 PM
That Isaac Hayes that Mick mentioned is a GREAT record. Don't sleep on his "Black Moses" either.

KSRBEvans
07-24-2015, 06:47 PM
You know, I never considered The Isley Brothers as a Funk group, and I LOVES me some Isley Brothers, but now that I go back and give a few tracks a listen. They DEFINITELY have some Funk songs. An excellent point, and yes you can't listen to funk without James Brown and without George Clinton. I agree with you on James Brown's musical genius, truly exceptional and truly mind blowing. Sometimes can be a bit difficult to approach for the uninitiated. The closest modern example I can think of for modern music is someone like Richard David James (Aphextwin) for electronic music. He basically is the progenator of several genres of electronic music and is an outright artistic genius but can be difficult for people not used to the style to really get into.

Can you share the spotify URI for that playlist? I would like to check it out! (Just right click on the playlist and select Copy Spotify URI).

1st time I've tried this, so hope it works:

spotify:user:prayingcolonel:playlist:0oAwu1ubTvtFN ZMDoPrNYI

(those are Ps where the icons are coming up--I don't know how to get rid of them and make them regular Ps).

suncat05
07-27-2015, 06:39 AM
I have always been a fan of the Average White Band. I have a couple of their CD's, very good music to drive to when on a road trip. Bootsie Collins and Parliment were favorites when I was younger and still in the "party scene".

PedroDaGr8
07-27-2015, 04:36 PM
Hey guys, there are some great suggestions here. Sorry for the delay, the HDD died in my laptop. Finally upgrading to an SSD.

In the meantime here are a few more tracks I came across:

The Whitfield Brothers - Safari Strut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB1tehJEbyM

Afrodizz - Lethal Venom (this one actually has vocals in it). It starts out with almost a garage rock feel before taking on a more funk/jazz vibe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZRQZ1xSL7o

here is a list someone sent me of some more artists to check out.

Antibalas
Ariya Astrobeat Arkestra
The Daktaris
El Michels Affair
Fanga
Gramps the Vamp
Getatchew Mekuria
Hailu Mergia and The Walias
Mulatu Astatke
The Heliocentrics (They also played with Mulatu on an album!)
Ikebe Shakedown
Karl Hector & The Malcouns
Lucky Brown
Mahmoud Ahmed
Menahan Street Band
Moon Hooch
Nomo
The Souljazz Orchestra
Tlahoun Gessesse
Whitefield Brothers
William Onyeabor

PedroDaGr8
08-22-2015, 08:23 PM
I'm in Greensboro at hopfest, listening to an awesome funk band called The Empire Strikes Brass, how can you not like this?! Good beer and good music makes for a good night!

kingcat
08-23-2015, 10:01 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpCdfCBk6sM

..and a little electronica mixed in..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vioEsbeC7r4

bigsky
08-23-2015, 03:42 PM
Sister Sparrow? kind of jam band-funk & the girl has pipes.