PDA

View Full Version : Quarterback-naming day....is Max Smith a done deal?

Darrell KSR
08-19-2012, 09:18 AM
Lonny Demaree had some interesting thoughts on the Premium Board (still open for all for now) about yesterday's practice that Whitlow has been so impressive in the Wildcat--and has good arm strength and touch, too--he could be a wild card, and some over-the-top discussion that it could be as much as 50% of the snaps. I do think that's over the top, but I admit, I am excited about this added dimension, if it is accurate.

suncat05
08-19-2012, 10:47 AM
While it would be nice if "WE" knew, why give U of L any heads up in their preparations? Let them wonder. And I can wait too.
Patience is a virtue. Or so I've been told. ;)

Catfan73
08-19-2012, 01:39 PM
I would be perfectly fine with Whitlow becoming our starter if the staff decides he's our best option, but undoubtedly he needs to get his feet wet before that happens. I think Joker prefers a dual-threat guy and wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Whitlow isn't starting by mid-season if he's half as good as reported. Even if that's the case, I still expect Smith to get the nod against UL, with Whitlow getting some snaps. As long as it's not Newton the fan base will support Joker.

Badinage
08-19-2012, 09:19 PM
How many duel threat QBs have started for UK? Pulley never made it that far. Newton never was a duel threat, regardless of how he was characterized by the recruiting agencies.

Catonahottinroof
08-19-2012, 09:34 PM
I think the QB is known. Maybe a delay in naming one however. Nothing wrong with a little gamesmanship with the school down the road.

Catfan73
08-20-2012, 09:01 AM
Hey Bad, glad you made it.

Badinage
08-20-2012, 09:06 AM
Thanks. I like the format, and what I have read thus far from Larry and the crew.

Darrell KSR
08-20-2012, 10:08 AM
How many duel threat QBs have started for UK? Pulley never made it that far. Newton never was a duel threat, regardless of how he was characterized by the recruiting agencies.

I love Morgan Newton, the young man, so I want to be careful here. But I'm not sure that I've ever seen the recruiting services "miss" so badly. They mischaracterized what he was in college, for sure.

Badinage
08-20-2012, 11:12 AM
I am a big fan of Newton as a young man. I have cheered for him his whole career and always hoped for the best. I doubt, however, that he is an SEC QB, regardless of how characterized. In fact, I doubt Mossakowski was, as well. So, the services and staff may have missed on both.

suncat05
08-21-2012, 11:02 AM
Well, I have to agree with that assessment Bad. I hope Max Smith is the solution to our offensive woes, as well as some playmakers stepping up and finally helping us on that side of the ball.
We are due, I really feel that way. Long overdue, truth be told.

Darrell KSR
08-21-2012, 11:40 AM
I fear we have four quarterbacks that have flaws.

The most talented QB is probably the least ready, Patrick Towles, due to lack of competition and speed of the game.
The 2nd most talented QB is probably a freshman, Jalen Whitlow, who was his high school's 2nd QB. Doesn't mean he wasn't the best; they utilized players differently at Prattville, which plays super competition, 6A ball in Alabama, and was the State champion.

That leaves Max and Morgan. I'm not sure that Max is all that, but he is probably better than Morgan. His passes are accurate, but can be wobbly. Knows the offense well enough, and is used to game speed. Probably gives us the best chance to win.

I am REALLY hoping that the OL is as good as some have been saying, and the running backs are as strong as they say. To me that will play a larger part than the QB issue this year. The DL should be the strength.

We should have some exciting young players too. Whitlow will make the field, everybody is saying. Demarcus Sweat is very exciting.

It could be fun, even if we do not have a superstar QB.

Badinage
08-21-2012, 11:53 AM
I thought Max demonstrated great potential last year. Sanders seemed very excited about his potential. He seemed to be able to get rid of the ball quickly in many different methods. When he was on, he seemed accurate. And, he demonstrated a variety of types of touch, depending on the throw. I suspect Max is the best QB today. I anticipate Towles having the most potential. And, I am not sure what Whitlow will be, although the excitement has me very interested. But, other players have been hyped early in their career that did not progress or develop as hoped. I will wait to see him before considering where he may fall in the hierarchy.

Darrell KSR
08-22-2012, 09:45 AM
Bad, Larry V. and Lonny D. seem 100% sure we're going to see Jalen Whitlow this year, early and often. Don't know exactly how, but not just the Wildcat package, either. On the other hand, KACAT seems to think the UL game may be "too soon" to see him, as he learns the offense as well.

Here's what I expect from Jalen Whitlow--these 5 or 6 plays, all running plays, although I am told he has a strong and accurate arm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21mlo8zb0pQ

Badinage
08-22-2012, 01:56 PM
I spoke today with someone who is much closer to the program than I (not saying a whole lot) and he said he is hearing grumblings that Whitlow will likely be the #2 QB this year. A poster on another site has said the same things. I am hopeful, espcially since his skill set seems much different than Smith's.

Darrell KSR
08-22-2012, 04:06 PM
Lonny said that it might be up to 50% of the snaps--he said he thought that was hyperbole, but the point was made. They expect Jalen Whitlow to contribute, and contribute a great deal this year.

You are dead right; it's a different skill set than Smith's. Used judiciously, it could be a very effective weapon. I am not thinking anywhere close to 50%, but a key series or two a half? Oh, yeah.

I spoke today with someone who is much closer to the program than I (not saying a whole lot) and he said he is hearing grumblings that Whitlow will likely be the #2 QB this year. A poster on another site has said the same things. I am hopeful, espcially since his skill set seems much different than Smith's.