PDA

View Full Version : Things I miss (not people, just things)* What do you miss?

Darrell KSR
07-09-2015, 11:20 AM
* I miss a rotary telephone. Used to enjoy dialing it, and having the numbers go around. Read somewhere recently where somebody asked, "why do you call it 'hanging up' when you end a telephone call?" Sigh. I'm old.

* I miss Ci-Ci's pizza close to my house. Or actually, anywhere in Birmingham. Pizza wasn't great, but was fun to get a bunch of different type of pizzas. Like BBQ chicken pizza? How about a cheeseburger pizza? Try one small piece and see if you like it, no harm, no foul. I miss their salads (Olive Garden knock-off), their dessert pizzas (cinnamon bun, apple pie, chocolate brownie, etc.), and just the idea that if a "mood" struck me--like sausage pizza, at the moment--I could get it. Granted, it wasn't great pizza, but it was fun. And cheap.

* I miss Popeye's chicken. Although they are still in Birmingham, one closed down that was about 4 or 5 miles from my house, and was replaced by a Hardee's. Their red beans and rice are terrific. I love the spicy chicken, too. Just not convenient to work or home for me now.

* I miss playing softball. I played until I was 40. Used to love playing; tore some stomach muscles while trying to turn a 5-4-3 double play, and decided that was it for me. I have now gained much weight, and don't think I'd be any good, and don't feel like I should get back out there. And really don't have the time.

* I miss gasoline at less than $1.00 a gallon. It used to be that you didn't care how much you drove. Gasoline was almost irrelevant. $5 and you could drive for several days. Putting $5 in your car now gets you home from work. Maybe.

* I miss "real" putt-putt. My son and I went to Nashville last weekend and spent all day Saturday in Mount Juliett, which had two official "putt-putt" courses. Orange rails, par 2 for each hole, etc. We played 7 rounds. Could've played more, but had a massive rainstorm that hit during the day. We played on wet courses anyway. We both love it. There are none close to me. I grew up playing all the time in Mobile. Loved it. Still do.

There are a few things I miss. Yes, I miss people, too. But I want this to be related to "things." Obviously doesn't have to be things you miss that are gone forever, just things YOU miss.

Your turn.

MickintheHam
07-09-2015, 12:58 PM
I miss real bakeries. Grocery Story bakery sections don't cut it. We used to go to Webers on West Market St in Louisville's West End. Charlotte Rouse on summer Sunday's was a real treat. I went to Check's in Schnitzelbrrg in Louisville last week. It's across the street from the old Heitzman's Bakery. It was awful seeing the empty storefront. So many great cakes were made in that place. Best cake I ever had.

suncat05
07-09-2015, 01:13 PM
You guys are going to laugh at me for this........I miss White Castle and being able to go to any location of theirs as they're open 24 hours ( I think they still are, but someone from someplace where they have any WC's will have to advise me). Yes, you can buy them frozen here in most grocery stores, but it just isn't the same.

There's not many people that I miss aside from my parents, grandparents and a few other relatives.

I miss eating at the Village Inn Pizza Parlor in Hikes Point. Decent pizza, nice atmosphere for after football games or for date night with my high school sweetheart. Is that place still even there anymore? I haven't visited Louisville since 2008.

suncat05
07-09-2015, 01:28 PM
Or fish sandwiches from either Moby Dick's or Mike Lennig's out on old Cane Run Road. And ML's famous turtle soup too!

KSRBEvans
07-09-2015, 01:51 PM
--I miss throwing a baseball. I played a lot growing up and umpired Little League through American Legion. Played softball too, but there's just nothing like the feel of a baseball and playing catch. Hurt my shoulder about 20 years ago and now if I throw much it feels like I have a toothache in my shoulder for several days after, but used to love throwing the ball around.

--I miss when MTV showed something other than reality shows--you know, like music videos.

--I miss when the History Channel showed something other than reality shows--you know, like shows about history.

--I miss the food I grew up on in eastern Kentucky (Greenup County--Russell, to be exact). For example, hot dogs with "sauce"--a meat-based sauce that's thinner and finer than chili, but it has a chili-type taste to it. It's hard to find a place that does dogs with sauce outside West Virginia and eastern Kentucky. There are even blogs (http://wvhotdogblog.blogspot.com/) about them. And Giovanni's Pizza--everybody who grew up on Giovanni's subconsciously compares all other pizza to Giovanni's and finds that other pizza wanting. When I go home on a visit, I always stop in Flatwoods and get a Giovanni's pizza with salad and "red" dressing. That's the flavor--"red." Kind of a tomato, tangy, French, sweet type of dressing that's probably toxic for you, but uniquely Giovanni's. And of course, my grandmother's cooking. Salmon patties, beans, greens, cornbread, etc.--took it for granted back then, but what a treat it would be to have some now.

jazyd
07-09-2015, 04:44 PM
The CiCi pizza place here, close to my house is owned by one of our customers, love when she comes in, she has my total attention, Mick would love her also. :)

Played softball until I was 50, catcher, wore me out in my last tournament but played 5 games in two days. Miss playing. Brian, had a baseball in my hand the other day when I went to a friends, couldn't put it down, just felt so good in the hand.

I miss an A&W rootbeer place, rode my bike to one in Paducah all the time.

Miss my boat and being able to fish when I wanted to.

Miss being a sales rep and having more time off and making more money :(

Miss living in Ky, enough said

My body misses being younger and more flexible :(

Miss my grandfathers farm, tadpoles, fishing, hunting, gigging frogs and frying them, driving the odl 47 Willy's jeep, shooting mice in the barn, eating food cooked on a woodburning stove, pumping the handle to get the well to run water, huddling under blankets because the wood in the stove at night burned out.

Miss being able to allow my daughter and now grandkids to be able to walk alone in the neighborhood w/o fear of some pervert kidnapping them.

Miss Dizzy and PeeWee calling games.

Miss the Brown suit roaming the sidelines

Miss Cawood,enough said there also

Miss the simple life w/o cell phones, computers, high tech crap, people being nice and friendly all the time, the corner grocery store, going to the firestation and climbing the pole, playing baseball in a empty lot, riding a bike to the pool for a 6 hour swim day and playing a baseball game that night, imitating Stan Musial in the backyard, riding a bike to a Cardinal players house and getting an autograph or broken bat, 25 cent gas, 25 cent burgers at Burger Chef, college life, being a lifeguard, working as a deckhand on the river in the summers making good money, having extra money left at the end of the month in college and going with my wife and splurging on a hamburger and fries but only being able to get a cup of water, I just miss the simple life.

CGWildcat
07-09-2015, 04:55 PM
I miss the hills of Eastern Kentucky. (Ashland, Boyd County) and all those little hollows my dad and I would go back up into looking for old abandoned houses. He grew up in Grayson, and he knew those hills like crazy. Places that families use to live but had long since abandoned. We would search through them for old antique glassware and such.

I miss going fishing on my Uncle Virgil's land (Boyd County, out off Big Garner Rd). He had 3 nice ponds. Loved walking up there to the main one, or when I was small, getting a ride on the tractor.

I miss Giovanni's also! What a great pizza that all others pale in comparison to. I dated the girl for a bit that was married to the son and now owner of the brand. She wouldn't remarry cause she would lose all the money she got from him.....I said goodbye.

I miss playing baseball on 22nd st. and 6th st fields. We thought we were the shiznit in those days.

I miss that I didn't KNOW I was living in my "Good old days!"

blueboss
07-09-2015, 05:40 PM
The rotary phone thing is a funny one, my friends hated calling me back in the day because my number was 897 0003, it took forever to dial it!!!

I used to tell my parents the reason why I never called when I was going to be late was because it would make me a whole lot later if I called.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kingcat
07-09-2015, 08:28 PM
Bill Gladden doing the channel 3 weather. Kind of a thing, with a person in it.

Burger Queen burgers

Jerrys Curb service Friday nights in late fall.

Coon Hunting on the creek, the sound of dogs in chase and on the tree.

Fishing at Rough River's, "Hidden Valley" and the mouth of Otter Creek.

Picking my uncle up at the bowling alley after work and seeing how he manually set pins.

Grandpa's water truck. A 46 (or so) Ford tank truck.

Trips to the water company to buy water. (the huge pipes and especially holding tank was awesome looking to a small child)

Pitching horseshoes.

All my old classic cars that would be worth a fortune now.

Family reunions at Otter Creek Park

Toy parachutes

LP's

CitizenBBN
07-09-2015, 09:21 PM
I love a lot about cell phones, but I miss back when you got in the car to go somewhere and that was it, you weren't getting calls and no one expected to reach you till you got to the destination or checked in. Go out on the farm? Well that's it till they come back.

That's not really a thing, it's the lack of a thing though.

MickintheHam
07-09-2015, 10:01 PM
Bill Gladden doing the channel 3 weather. Kind of a thing, with a person in it.

Burger Queen burgers

Jerrys Curb service Friday nights in late fall...

You could have added Ed Kallay and Funny Flickers or for curb service there was Bob Colglazer's Ranch House - Preston Highway or Shelbyville Rd.

kingcat
07-09-2015, 10:27 PM
You could have added Ed Kallay and Funny Flickers or for curb service there was Bob Colglazer's Ranch House - Preston Highway or Shelbyville Rd.

Do you or does anyone else remember a swimming place called Lighthouse lake?

Doc
07-09-2015, 10:46 PM
Real fake wrasslin. This new fake wrasslin sucks. Miss the Bill Dundees 's and Dutch Mantell's, and of course Dave Brown's "Yellow"

Mowing the lawn on a riding mower. Now I got a yard guy who has 6 Mexicans who show up once a week. Gone is the hour of peace and solitude on the back of a mower

Big Red and Little Kings

kingcat
07-09-2015, 11:06 PM
Real fake wrasslin. This new fake wrasslin sucks. Miss the Bill Dundees 's and Dutch Mantell's, and of course Dave Brown's "Yellow"

Mowing the lawn on a riding mower. Now I got a yard guy who has 6 Mexicans who show up once a week. Gone is the hour of peace and solitude on the back of a mower

Big Red and Little Kings

Loved the original creme sodas back in the sixties.

Little Kings were plum awful tasting! But I can't argue with the results they yielded.

MickintheHam
07-10-2015, 04:33 AM
Do you or does anyone else remember a swimming place called Lighthouse lake?

Of course. it was on Gardner Ln. It also was the greatest place to ice skate. They had a great fire pit. Fun Friday Night date place. It was the end of the line for transit company buses.

Doc
07-10-2015, 06:17 AM
Loved the original creme sodas back in the sixties.

Little Kings were plum awful tasting! But I can't argue with the results they yielded.

Piggie back 12 little kings with 6 white castles and you have and explosive situation

MickintheHam
07-10-2015, 08:09 AM
Piggie back 12 little kings with 6 white castles and you have and explosive situation

Rock and Roll with Hudepohl. Miss all of those great beers. Wiedemann, Falls City, Fehr's, Oertel's 92, Burger Beer. Louisville and Cincinnati had some great ones. Schoenling's I never miss.

Doc
07-10-2015, 01:54 PM
You recall the Hudepohl beer ball? A 5 gallon plastic keg/ball of beer?

Darrell KSR
07-10-2015, 02:48 PM
I miss collectible icee baseball cups. One summer we collected all of them. We reached the point where we had all but about 4 or 5, and Dad took us around town seeing if they had a "Lou Brock," or whoever the guy was.

Wonder what happened to those cups? I remember it was a good color-blind experience, because after you washed the cups a few times, the black baseball players became white.

MickintheHam
07-10-2015, 03:05 PM
You recall the Hudepohl beer ball? A 5 gallon plastic keg/ball of beer?

No, but I wish I had seen it or drank one. I remember the vendors at the Redleg's games hawking the beer in the stands at Crosley and Riverfront. "Get Moody with the Hudi". And of course "Burger the beer that brings you baseball".

I miss Waite Hoyt doing the color analyis of the Reds games. (oh, wait we're not supposed to use people). I'll change that to I miss the stories that Waite Hoyt used to tell during rain delays on the radio broadcasts about the 1927 Yankees. He had stories on Ruth, Gehrig, Earle Combs (Richmond, Ky), Tony Lazzeri and Miller Huggins, their manager. It was great behind the scenes stuff about the greatest baseball team ever. i remember that my oldest cousin would call all of the other cousins when there was a rain delay so we could tune in to listen to Waite. I can say in my entire life there was nothing so captivating as his stories and his voice. (See it's not a people I am missing, but stories I'm missing). No one tells stories anymore. We just get sound bites.

KentuckyWildcat
07-10-2015, 06:42 PM
* I miss playing softball. I played until I was 40. Used to love playing; tore some stomach muscles while trying to turn a 5-4-3 double play, and decided that was it for me. I have now gained much weight, and don't think I'd be any good, and don't feel like I should get back out there. And really don't have the time.

I miss the game the way it was 10-15 years ago. I'm talking about the competitive men's game, not church league level. I'm still around the game and running tournaments, but I don't play a lot anymore for a few reasons. If my old team needs a SS bad enough I'll still play a game or two. I miss those friendships and time with the guys.

I miss getting a pizza and watching a UK game. Food allergies have taken that from me.

The excitement of first seeing the ocean every vacation as a kid.

I miss the feeling of spring as a kid also. It just isn't the same for some reason as an adult.

I miss driving around in my 65 Mustang and any of dad's old 4x4 trucks.

Doc
07-11-2015, 04:28 PM
24 hr doughnut shops, or any late night eatery

Midnight movies that show cheap cult classics (channelling the VOGUE THEATER here)

Seasons, primarily fall, where you can wear a sweater

No responsibility, just taking care of myself

School. I always loved school

KeithKSR
07-12-2015, 02:26 PM
I miss the endless summers of youth, days of riding bikes, playing baseball, and having fun.

I miss riding in the back of Dad's truck with my brother on a warm summer night. We'd stand right behind the cab and the warm summer air rushed.

I miss drive in movies, even though the movies weren't that good.

DanISSELisdaman
07-12-2015, 05:26 PM
I miss riding horses. My back just wont let me do it any more, but I loved it. I miss operating heavy equipment. I can't do that for the same reason.

CGWildcat
07-13-2015, 11:02 AM
You went for the movies? Bless your heart!

I miss drive in movies, even though the movies weren't that good.

MickintheHam
07-13-2015, 02:34 PM

LOL

CitizenBBN
07-13-2015, 09:46 PM

it's called foreplay. :)

KeithKSR
07-13-2015, 11:36 PM

Nope!

blueboss
07-19-2015, 07:03 PM
After we moved away from Missouri when I was a kid, I used to go spend a few weeks each summer with my Grandparents in Springfield. They would always take me camping and fishing at Table Rock Lake, those are some of my fondest memories of my entire life. Getting up early in the morning to the smell of breakfast cooking on the camp stove and then all day on the lake bass fishing. My grandfather was an avid fisherman and he had Table Rock wired, we always caught stringers full of fish. At the end of the day I'd hit the camp ground pool and come back to fresh caught fish frying in the black iron skillet with fried potatoes and onions....

Trying to do the same for my grandson, he's only five but I want to be as big to him as my grandfather was to me........

Crazy4Blue
07-24-2015, 12:09 PM
Ronald Reagan

The 80's - best of everything in that decade

Being young enough to play basketball without being in so much pain

Mama's Cookies (mmm), not sure if those were just local or not

Glass Pepsi bottles - use to walk up to the Pony Keg and redeem them for .10 a bottle an dbuy candy

People sitting on the porch to talk about life instead of social media