PDA

View Full Version : Adoption

Padukacat
07-02-2015, 08:52 PM
Has anyone had experience with doing a very expedited adoption out of China or know someone who has?

kingcat
07-03-2015, 05:53 PM
My cousin and his wife adopted a beautiful Chinese baby (two years old I believe) a few years back. Not sure how quickly expedited it was. Seems to me there was an unexpected delay. Quicker than natural childbirth however and they got two years free. ;)

I don't recall the particulars but I assure you they wouldn't change a thing.
She is beautiful young six year old now and full of life and love.

They are both accomplished nurses in E-Town. I think I can put you in touch with them if you need me to..

dan_bgblue
07-03-2015, 07:07 PM
You may or may not have seen this WSJ article from April of this year. It provides some good anecdotal info along with some real world numbers.

WSJ on foreign child adoption (anecdotal)

suncat05
07-04-2015, 08:33 AM
We have a friend that is adopting a Chinese girl who will soon be 13 yoa,, next month, I think. IIRC, this has been an endeavor that has taken some time to get to this point. She just told me last week that there was a misspelled name on a visa or something, and that she had to go back to the USCIS (my God, I absolutely HATE THOSE PEOPLE!) because her middle name was incorrectly spelled, the mistake of the USCIS, and yet she had to pay ANOTHER $360.00 to get THEIR MISTAKE corrected and get the visa fixed.
She also told me that the little girl's 13th birthday is sometime next month, and that if they do not have her in their possession BEFORE her birthday that the adoption is off.
They have made all of these preparations, made all of these plans, worked so hard to make this happen (and oh, yeah, spent an inordinately large amount of money, too!) and yet this still may not happen.
Nixon got this one wrong. The Chinese were about to go under financially when he rescued them from themselves, and now we're paying the price, all because he wanted an ally against the Russians for some point in the future. Now, we have BOTH against us, which is no different than it was before.
The Chinese do not value human life at all, especially female lives, but they'll sell us their unwanted female children. Which I am not sure is a good idea to do, because we have no idea what they're done to these little girls which may come back to bite us in the future.
I hope my friend gets her little Chinese girl before she turns 13, I do. But what if it doesn't happen then? She has done everything (meaning, jumped through ALL of the almost impossible hoops imposed by both the Chinese government AND the lousy USCIS!) and this still may not happen. In my mind, she's dealing with marginally legalized crooks and extortionists in both governments at the possible expense of her own mental health in the hopes of adopting this child.
My apologies, but my own experiences with the lousy USCIS and after hearing this has left a rather bad aftertaste in my mouth. I have come to the conclusion that dealing with any government entity at that level is, at best, an exercise in frustration and futility.

Catonahottinroof
07-04-2015, 09:58 AM
I adopted both of my children in Ukraine in 2000.

ETWNAPPEL
07-06-2015, 08:51 AM

Is there something specific I can tell you?

- we already have adopted the best girl in all of China, so that's off the table ;)
- Most adoptions are now taking 4-5 years
- You can speed that process up significantly if you adopt a special needs child.

Darrell KSR
07-06-2015, 10:56 AM
OMG....that picture is terrific. True love and happiness. If that doesn't make you smile, you're not human.

kingcat
07-06-2015, 11:15 AM

Is there something specific I can tell you?

- we already have adopted the best girl in all of China, so that's off the table ;)
- Most adoptions are now taking 4-5 years
- You can speed that process up significantly if you adopt a special needs child.

An adorable young lady!

suncat05
07-06-2015, 02:34 PM
I'm happy for you, ETWN. I hope my friend's endeavors are not dashed because of bureaucratic mistakes.

My wife has a cousin in the Philippines whose mother and grandmother have both died. We have talked this over many times, and I am all for adopting her and bringing her here. But the Philippine government will not let you adopt from their country, even if you're blood related, and regardless of the circumstances, unless you and the child in question have actually lived together in the same household for a period of 2 years. We cannot meet this asinine requirement, obviously, because I am not retired yet. So the girl has to live with other relatives, and we help support her.She is being well cared for, for which I am thankful, but I'd rest easier knowing that she was here with us under our care. She's a great kid that has endured a lot of adversity in her still young life. Her mother died in childbirth, and her grandmother died from cancer last year.
I don't know how else we can help her aside from what we are currently doing.

I hope my friend does not experience any more problems in trying to get this child.

ETWNAPPEL
07-06-2015, 07:34 PM
Thanks Darrell and Kingcat. Can't tell you how much I love and adore that girl. I have three "biological" sons and they all three agree with me when I lovingly claim she is the best child I have. I was told having a daughter would change me and it has. It changed those boys for the better too. We are all smitten with her. Mick has met her, and he can attest that she is funny, charming, and in the 7th grade has already scored higher on the ACT than I and my sons did as seniors!

suncat, it's a shame the rules for adoption are geared towards making money and saving face in many countries. The US is not any better as our rules bend over backwards towards the biological family have no doubt kept many kids from being adopted.

MickintheHam
07-06-2015, 08:11 PM
D
Thanks Darrell and Kingcat. Can't tell you how much I love and adore that girl. I have three "biological" sons and they all three agree with me when I lovingly claim she is the best child I have. I was told having a daughter would change me and it has. It changed those boys for the better too. We are all smitten with her. Mick has met her, and he can attest that she is funny, charming, and in the 7th grade has already scored higher on the ACT than I and my sons did as seniors!

suncat, it's a shame the rules for adoption are geared towards making money and saving face in many countries. The US is not any better as our rules bend over backwards towards the biological family have no doubt kept many kids from being adopted.

ET, Catherine is a terrific young lady. She needed parents like you and Karen who could challenge her to achieve greatness. Thank God you all had the opportunity to change her life!

Padukacat
07-07-2015, 06:05 PM
Wow great stuff guys. I just checked this been busy with the process. Suncat can you ask them if they would mind talking to me? I'm in the same boat and just submitted to them and have until October so it's doable as far as I can see through research but if a hiccup occurs we are in trouble, and more importantly the boy is aged out and headed for who knows what. If anyone has a contact that has done this in short order who wouldn't mind talking with me please message me their number or email address. Thanks, prayers are appreciated.

Padukacat
07-10-2015, 08:45 AM
ET, loved the Pics. Suncat no need to check on anything I believe we have plenty of help now. I think this process will work out if its Gods will, everything seems to be working well. There is a group on facebook called WARP speed that focuses on this sort of thing and they know every detail of the process. Our agency is doing a great job as well. Appreciate any prayers in the matter, we know it wont be an easy process now or in the future, and its a life changing decision to disrupt our seemingly perfect lives, but we think its worth it to give a family to a child that's never had one and would have never had one. Wish I would have realized that sooner to be honest.

Padukacat
07-27-2015, 07:33 AM
Just wanted to give you guys an update, we are really moving fast and may be over there by early September, but if not should still make the October deadline...I have a new son. Amazing day last Friday, we received several approval VERY fast to move things forward. We then found a girl on one of the adoption chats who lives with a family in the states, and the girl grew up with our boy in the orphanage and gave us tons of great info confirming he is the great kid we had guessed based on watching the videos and reading about him. We feel very blessed with this.

suncat05
07-27-2015, 08:36 AM
That is wonderful news, Paducahcat! I am very happy for you, and I hope there ate no other issues.

In other related matters, my friend here received word last Friday that her visa is a go and she will be able to get her daughter about the middle of August.

So happy for BOTH of you!

Padukacat
08-07-2015, 08:37 AM
Great to hear! We have been sending messages to ours and our dossier is going to be in China Monday. Hope to make the mid sept date. Wish I could share the video of him saying his new name, priceless.

suncat05
08-07-2015, 08:46 AM
I saw my friend yesterday, and she is packing to go to China next week! I am happy for her, and pray that everything goes along with no other problems.
I am so happy for BOTH of you! And I pray that you have a good trip with no issues and are able to return home with a new family member!

badrose
08-07-2015, 09:10 AM
I love this thread. Having been adopted myself it warms my heart.

Padukacat
08-17-2015, 04:13 PM
Considering I spend so much time on here and you guys are like virtual family I thought I would tell you before we tell the world that we received our letter of approval to adopt our boy today! We will also get to video chat with him for the first time tonight and deliver the news. We are overjoyed and so thankful for a God that is larger than us who has brought this all together in less than two months from the day we saw a simple video of him. Hard to explain in words really. Thank you all for your kind words and pray for us as we go wheels up to China likely in the next month!

suncat05
08-17-2015, 04:36 PM
Mrs.suncat05 & I are so happy for you and yours, Padukacat! Safe travels when that time comes, my friend! Congratulations!

kingcat
08-17-2015, 04:39 PM
Congratulations! This child is very blessed imho.

Darrell KSR
08-17-2015, 06:06 PM
Congratulations, and thank you. How wonderful.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

CitizenBBN
08-17-2015, 06:15 PM
Great news, and thanks so much for sharing it with us here.

badrose
08-17-2015, 08:16 PM
Woo Hoo!

PedroDaGr8
08-17-2015, 08:59 PM
Considering I spend so much time on here and you guys are like virtual family I thought I would tell you before we tell the world that we received our letter of approval to adopt our boy today! We will also get to video chat with him for the first time tonight and deliver the news. We are overjoyed and so thankful for a God that is larger than us who has brought this all together in less than two months from the day we saw a simple video of him. Hard to explain in words really. Thank you all for your kind words and pray for us as we go wheels up to China likely in the next month!

That is such AMAZING news. You guys will make amazing, loving parents. I can't even say how happy I am for you. My bestfriend (from 3rd grade to today) was adopted. His parents were amazing and always made him feel like one of their own, even after they were actually able to successfully carry a child full term. They celebrated his birthday and "Happy Gotcha Day" like a second birthday to celebrate the day that they got him.

kingcat
08-17-2015, 10:16 PM
And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name, receiveth me.
..Jesus

Padukacat
08-18-2015, 03:14 PM
Thanks gang we feel really blessed. I'll share some pics and more details soon!

suncat05
08-18-2015, 03:18 PM
And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name, receiveth me.
..Jesus

Amen, brother!

suncat05
08-18-2015, 03:25 PM
Thanks gang we feel really blessed. I'll share some pics and more details soon!

Please do! This is so wonderful to hear and be allowed to share with you!

I see and hear a lot of ugly things in my job, and of course we all watch the news and see all of the ugliness going on in this world now. But it's events like this that help reaffirm my faith in humanity. Thanks for sharing.

Padukacat
09-01-2015, 09:48 AM
Wanted to give everyone an update in case I forget before I travel, but we are just waiting on the last step which is travel approval and plan to book the flights later this week or early next week. I hope to be flying to China on sept 12th and back on the 26th or so.

We did get to video chat with him the night after my last post and it was pretty awesome. I think he and my family was pretty nervous and overwhelmed but it went great. Amazing experience really and I can't imagine what it's going to be like to meet him in person for the first time. Please say a few prayers for us over the next few weeks in sure we will need it...KENTUCKY boys in China. My son and I will travel over.

Padukacat
09-01-2015, 09:50 AM

PedroDaGr8
09-01-2015, 11:01 AM

Really Awesome to see.

Good luck to you and your newly expanding family!

suncat05
09-01-2015, 12:11 PM
What a handsome kid! Congratulations!

KSRBEvans
09-01-2015, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the update--awesome!

Padukacat
09-01-2015, 08:07 PM
Thanks guys! I'm sure he is as anxious as we are, I can't imagine what is going through his mind with all of the unknowns and change. I trust there's a higher power at work with a purpose.

Darrell KSR
09-02-2015, 10:34 AM
Great stuff. Best of luck with the remaining odds and ends!

KentuckyWildcat
09-02-2015, 12:30 PM
Awesome and congrats! I hope to adopt someday, the wife and I are not on the same page with it, but maybe someday.

badrose
09-03-2015, 07:41 AM
:fam24:

Padukacat
09-09-2015, 10:27 AM
Leaving Friday morning for China. Pretty crazy how fast it's all happening. My son and I are traveling and will get Isaac on 9/14. Should be a heck of a journey, thank you guys for your support.

PedroDaGr8
09-09-2015, 10:58 AM
Wanted to give everyone an update in case I forget before I travel, but we are just waiting on the last step which is travel approval and plan to book the flights later this week or early next week. I hope to be flying to China on sept 12th and back on the 26th or so.

We did get to video chat with him the night after my last post and it was pretty awesome. I think he and my family was pretty nervous and overwhelmed but it went great. Amazing experience really and I can't imagine what it's going to be like to meet him in person for the first time. Please say a few prayers for us over the next few weeks in sure we will need it...KENTUCKY boys in China. My son and I will travel over.

Having just traveled to SE Asia earlier this summer; for me the worst part of it was the flight there and back. Being 6' 4" 275lbs, I'm not small and as such don't quite fit in the seats of a normal jet. Back to back 8-12hr flights are NOT fun. Make sure you get up and walk around A LOT. Otherwise, your feet will swell like mine did (could barely fit into my shoes) and it puts you at risk for developing a clot in your legs. I stretched as much as I could but still developed heavily swollen feet. Might even talk to your doctor about it in advance, mine told me later that the next time I travel there are certain things they can do to help lower the risk of blood clots.

As for being in China, try to just roll with it and not do too much comparing of there versus here. If you can keep an open mind, you will make the trip much more enjoyable for yourself. There will be things there that are just mind blowing but if you have an adventurous mind, there is a lot there that will be really cool. I don't know which city you are going to, but if it isn't one of the bigger cities, be prepared to be stared at, A LOT. It feels very weird and uncomfortable, especially at first, but you get used to it. Try the weird foods, some will be horrible some will be surprisingly delicious. At worst, you get a good story out of something that tasted disgusting and at best you get to expand your comfort zone a bit.

CitizenBBN
09-09-2015, 05:56 PM
Leaving Friday morning for China. Pretty crazy how fast it's all happening. My son and I are traveling and will get Isaac on 9/14. Should be a heck of a journey, thank you guys for your support.

Safe travels. Hope everything goes great with both your sons and that you also have some fun along the way while you're there.

As for being stared at, must be like being the only UK fan at an Indiana/Louisville game. Except I'm sure the Chinese are more polite, less drunk and more intelligent. :)

dan_bgblue
09-09-2015, 07:21 PM
Great news Padukacat. Travel safely and let us know when you are back in town. I will leave the light on for ya

Padukacat
09-17-2015, 09:02 AM

So much to tell. Been an amazing experience. Here's a link to the blog we've been doing. I've been doing the writing since we got to China. It's http://hereiammyson.blogspot.com hopefully that link works. I think it will be worth your time to read it.

PedroDaGr8
09-17-2015, 11:09 AM
really awesome man!

I love this one:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Gz1LTXkTp2E/Vfl0MicYNOI/AAAAAAAAA5s/4G7AoVUwFfA/s640/blogger-image--1436589876.jpg

Already getting him trained as a UK fan!

dan_bgblue
09-17-2015, 05:12 PM
That read like a wonderful travelogue with a good bit of personal stuff included to make sense of it all. I hope that they are going to kick you out soon so you can have the enjoyment of introducing your new son to the good ole USofA.

Thanks for linking the blog. It was sad at times, but it was a joy to read.

jazyd
09-17-2015, 09:18 PM
It's obvious you didn't get your looks from your dad, then again I have met your mom

Have a safe trip Michael. I am proud of you as I know your dad is. I think you and your wife have earned a bigger cottage in heaven

TNCat
09-19-2015, 11:18 AM
Congrats and safe travels home!

My oldest daughter was adopted here in the states. Our daughter has brought joy to our lives and wish the same for you.

Padukacat
09-25-2015, 09:38 AM
Thanks everyone for the kind words. We got in last night late after a grueling day of travel. Not sure I've ever been more exhausted, cant sleep on a plane and it was a 14.5 hour haul on the first flight then a 7 hour layover for another 1.5 hour flight home. Lots of people at the airport and it was fun to show our new son the home and meet mom and sister, but boy....am I tired. Thanks again!

Darrell KSR
09-25-2015, 10:57 AM
Gosh, what a wonderful blog and thank you for sharing your experience. Welcome home to your family, and your new son. Such a great story.

Get some rest!

PedroDaGr8
09-25-2015, 02:31 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind words. We got in last night late after a grueling day of travel. Not sure I've ever been more exhausted, cant sleep on a plane and it was a 14.5 hour haul on the first flight then a 7 hour layover for another 1.5 hour flight home. Lots of people at the airport and it was fun to show our new son the home and meet mom and sister, but boy....am I tired. Thanks again!

How is that jetlag? Good luck with things man and nihao to your new family member!

kingcat
09-26-2015, 11:21 AM
My heartiest hooray!..to your expanding family. God bless and keep you.

Padukacat
09-28-2015, 07:05 AM
How is that jetlag? Good luck with things man and nihao to your new family member!

boy the jetlag about killed me this weekend, glad I had a few days to get over it before getting back to the old grind today.

The boy is doing great, hes a really cool guy. We play a lot of board games and card games and hes full of personality. He is really happy and seems to be fitting right in. Were trying to hunker down and stay out of the spotlight for a while, were pretty active and we don't want to run him to death seeing new people and places just yet.

I really appreciate everyone's words here, even though I haven't met many of you guys it means a lot because I've been posting on this board for a while and these names and personalities start to become friends. Thanks again.

jazyd
09-28-2015, 10:59 PM
Can't wait to meet him

PedroDaGr8
09-29-2015, 07:39 AM
boy the jetlag about killed me this weekend, glad I had a few days to get over it before getting back to the old grind today.
I know that feeling really well. I think that part of the world is just about the WORST for jetlag because it is 11-13 hrs difference. So everything is literally the exact opposite.

The boy is doing great, hes a really cool guy. We play a lot of board games and card games and hes full of personality. He is really happy and seems to be fitting right in. Were trying to hunker down and stay out of the spotlight for a while, were pretty active and we don't want to run him to death seeing new people and places just yet.

That is great to hear and likely a very good move. Let him get comfortable in his new role in life, then start branching out. Quite frankly, I can't imagine the upheaval that this has to be mentally and emotionally. Nothing against you (in case it comes across that way) but can you imagine not having a family then having a family on the exact opposite side of the world in a country with customs that are strange and foreign to your own?

I really appreciate everyone's words here, even though I haven't met many of you guys it means a lot because I've been posting on this board for a while and these names and personalities start to become friends. Thanks again.

You summed up how I feel about this forum very succinctly. Many people that I have gotten to know over the years on here that I consider friends without having ever met them.

Padukacat
10-03-2015, 05:07 PM
I know that feeling really well. I think that part of the world is just about the WORST for jetlag because it is 11-13 hrs difference. So everything is literally the exact opposite.

That is great to hear and likely a very good move. Let him get comfortable in his new role in life, then start branching out. Quite frankly, I can't imagine the upheaval that this has to be mentally and emotionally. Nothing against you (in case it comes across that way) but can you imagine not having a family then having a family on the exact opposite side of the world in a country with customs that are strange and foreign to your own?

You summed up how I feel about this forum very succinctly. Many people that I have gotten to know over the years on here that I consider friends without having ever met them.

No offense at all I've thought about the same thing in regard to his changes, pretty brave to hop on a plane w strangers and leave a world you know. He likely isn't as aware of the dead end he faced so his thoughts aren't our thoughts. I can't wait till we can communicate and hear his thoughts on a deeper level but that's years down the road.

Jazy he got to hang out w dad last night and seemed to like him more than anyone he's met. Pretty cool.

jazyd
10-03-2015, 09:10 PM
Your dad told me about last night, Isaacs card tricks and when he doesn't understand....What?.......said he is adjusting very well

suncat05
10-04-2015, 11:26 AM
Of ALL of the threads we have ever had on this board, I can say, from my heart, that this one is by far the most uplifting thread we have ever shared with each other here. There still is hope in this world, and this story tells of that hope.

THIS STORY is why this board is the best place for Kentucky fans to communicate in person. I love this board, and I am honored to be a part of this community.This story, in its totality, tells everyone that reads on our board exactly who we are.

Padukacat
09-14-2016, 08:19 PM
Hey gang, wanted to post on the anniversary of the day we picked up our son Isaac in China. One year ago today this journey started. It has been VERY hard at times on our family. We went through about a 2 month stretch at about 6-8 months that i honestly wasnt sure how this thing was going to turn out. I'm happy to say everything is going better than good now. Isaac just had a rough patch and it was tough for him to accept that he had a new life and left his old life behind. I totally understand where he was coming from, but i think after several come to Jesus meetings we came to a place to where he realized we love him and want the best for him and will do what it takes and now he's pushed his chips all in. Hes a great kid. Very smart, and very prideful and disappointed that he is struggling through english. Never spoke a word of it before a year ago and now probably can get about 70% off what we say, which has to make him feel better. Never cared about school and probably had a low self esteem but now the kid is diggin in as a freshman in high school where he gets no help (fixin to get $hit right with the school tomorrow...bledsoe style). I'm so proud of him. I know he has a tough time getting used to being a part of a family still, but man we can see what he is going to become and its amazing what Love and expectation can do. He does a ton of homework each night and we are basically going through high school again, but its great. He actually just now said he wanted to go to college...which you have no idea how big of a step that is. In the last year here are the things he has done that he had NEVER done before:

1. Be part of a family
2. Swim (like a fish now)
3. Shower
4. Brush teeth
5. Use an american toilet (finally hitting the water with the lid up)
6. Had more than 4 shirts (he still wears the ones we had from china)
7. Learn english (pretty dang fluent)
8. Play basketball (we play all the time in my driveway, he was terrible but is fair now, his motor skills have developed fast and were like a toddler)
9. Catch a fish
10. Been to Disney...and basically anywhere.
11. Ride a four wheeler...drive one
12. Ride in a car (did it before but was carsick it was so seldom)
13. Throw a football and catch it

Thats all i can remember, there is a ton more, pretty much everything. Just wanted to give you guys an update. You are like family here and are a wonderful group of people and we traveled on this journey together last year. Definitely one of the toughest things i have done but worth more than any other accomplishment. Here are some pictures of then and now...

^first day of school this year... freshmen

^after we landed in paducah and met mom and sister

^then and now

^the first time the boys met

^he caught a big 'ole fish at my buddies lake

Padukacat
09-14-2016, 08:33 PM
also wanted to mention how amazing my children and wife have been during this last year. You always wonder whether you are doing a good job with your kids...let me tell you i have some wonderful children. So proud of them.

badrose
09-14-2016, 08:36 PM
A smile on my face, a lump in my throat, and a tear in my eye. I was adopted at 3 days old, a match made in Heaven.

Thanks for the update, PC. Don't wait another year before the next one.

dan_bgblue
09-14-2016, 08:37 PM
Without knowing you outside the confines of these forums, I feel the need to say that you and your family are doing a great job bringing him into a life where he has opportunities to not only enjoy family happiness, but to have a future that he would never have had if your and your family had not come into this life. I can sense your joy in his accomplishments and you have a right to be very, very proud of how things are going. Great job sir!!

Padukacat
09-14-2016, 08:52 PM
thanks guys...one more pic. this was right before he left the orphanage with all he had. I love this picture and it also makes me sad.

Darrell KSR
09-14-2016, 09:31 PM
Thanks much for sharing the update. Terrific, uplifting story and glad I know a guy whose family is so caring.

Padukacat
08-14-2022, 10:09 PM
Dropped my adopted son off today at wku to join the other one that was already there. Man, whew long drive home and lots of tears and memories. Seems the tougher it is the sweeter it is in the end. So proud of him.

Padukacat
08-14-2022, 10:36 PM
Bear with me here…had to share day 1. Man it’s killin me!

Darrell KSR
08-14-2022, 10:45 PM
Aww, this is wonderful.

I went back and read the whole thread, too, and just have a big smile on my face because of it.

Best of luck to both boys in school!

Thanks, Dad, for sharing.

Padukacat
08-14-2022, 10:56 PM
I had to read it all too darrell. Thanks brother.

suncat05
08-15-2022, 09:52 AM
Such an amazing story! I am so happy for all of you! This story only reinforces what many of us here already knew, that family is important, and family is everything. Continued prayers for yours and for happiness and success with your family!

BigBluePappy
08-15-2022, 11:26 AM
It sure is dusty in here, right now.
Bless you all for your heartwarming stories.
Refreshing in the midst of all the "clutter", as one coach calls it.

Catonahottinroof
08-22-2022, 09:04 PM
Glad there is a reminder of this thread, my 2 adopted ones have had a very eventful month. My daughter spent the summer in Spain on study abroad. She arrived home for a couple of days only to have the boyfriend propose to her. So I’ve dropped her off in Charleston for her senior year at the Citadel, now engaged.
My son bought his first home in Danville a week ago. As parents we are very proud at the moment.

MickintheHam
08-23-2022, 09:52 AM
Glad there is a reminder of this thread, my 2 adopted ones have had a very eventful month. My daughter spent the summer in Spain on study abroad. She arrived home for a couple of days only to have the boyfriend propose to her. So I’ve dropped her off in Charleston for her senior year at the Citadel, now engaged.
My son bought his first home in Danville a week ago. As parents we are very proud at the moment.

What great milestones in life.

Padukacat
08-24-2022, 10:17 PM
Man congrats I can only imagine.

Padukacat
10-19-2022, 09:46 PM

My boy is 21 today. We went hiking in Arkansas over their fall break. Man he is doing so amazing at WKU he’s grown up so much. Best hunch I ever had was that this kid was somehow my son. Tough start for all of us but the instincts were correct. Hope he’s having a “safe” good time tonight as I know they were touring him around bowling green

Padukacat
01-12-2024, 01:40 PM

My boy is 21 today. We went hiking in Arkansas over their fall break. Man he is doing so amazing at WKU he’s grown up so much. Best hunch I ever had was that this kid was somehow my son. Tough start for all of us but the instincts were correct. Hope he’s having a “safe” good time tonight as I know they were touring him around bowling green

Ill start this off with some irony in the last post i wrote about our adopted son being 21...turns out he had just turned 20 that day. How could we have his birthday off by one year you say?...

Two weeks ago while in Florida for my daughters bball tourney the american lady who worked at his orphanage in china who we are fb friends with sent us a message asking if we could set some time aside to message with her later that day. She ended up telling us they believe they have found our sons birth parents through a dna test that was performed at a police station. It would be rare to have a child dna in the police database, but even more rare they would do a search for the child and even more rare they would notify the orphanage and once again the orphanage would notify us. Apparently this was in August and the lady we know said she just felt like she had to tell us about it finally. We were thrilled to hear the news but very skeptical. She later sent me a picture of the dna match on the police computer screen (likely not legal) and after translating it i found some info that made it seem likely and also unlikely. She said he had 3 younger sisters which also didnt make sense during the one child policy to have three kids. We did some additional research and finally got the fathers wechat (like facebook in china) id and we reached out to him this past sunday to ask some questions. He immediately sent the application he had to file with the orphanage that told the story of our son and why they left him at the hospital. It detailed having his first kidney removed which only they would really know, and how they raised money for that surgery and then when the second kidney went south had no money and could not get a hospital to take them. As a last effort they dropped the child at the hospital in hopes they would take him and he would not die. He said they hid under a stairwell until someone took him and have looked in papers and elsewhere for years to see if they could find him due to their regret. Fast forward 20 years and through a lot of luck they have found him. We called our son home from bowling green to inform him and he was very happy and anxious. 20 years of feeling like your parents didnt want you has im sure done a toll on him, but he is a very good guy so we are happy for him to get those feelings put to rest so he can know he was loved. So we did a facetime call on wechat with the mother and father and holy cow it was definitely his parents. Talk about emotional, i videod the call and when they panned over to the mom and she was looking at him she got about 5 words out and just broke down, which caused my son to get emotional as well. We were so happy and sad all at the same time, unreal moment to witness. Ill try and share the video but its probably too large to share, but will share some pictures of the family. His sisters were actually older sisters ages 30, 28, and 26 i believe. One of them speaks english so he has been talking to her more than the others. They were so appreciative of us having loved Isaac and taken care of him and so happy to see his face and talk to him. he still speaks a little chinese but we had to call a chinese friend and put the phones together so she could translate for them. We are having another dna test done by a company in china that does these things just to confirm everything but there really isnt any doubt. We will likely go to China in July as a family once our daughter gets back from Samford for the early summer practice schedule. I can't imagine how it will be to see them unite in person after 21 years. We are just so so happy for him and them. God has a funny way of writing this life journey that is for sure.

Padukacat
01-12-2024, 01:43 PM

Padukacat
01-12-2024, 01:48 PM
the last pic above was isaac right before we adopted him, below is a recent family picture. The only picture they had of him was one from 100 days old which is celebrated in china.

MickintheHam
01-17-2024, 08:27 AM
What an amazing story! Best wishes to both families.

Darrell KSR
01-17-2024, 05:36 PM
Very, very nice updates. Wonderful stories.

Catonahottinroof
01-20-2024, 11:07 AM
Just seen this thread pop up again. Gave my daughter away in August on Edisto Island, SC at her wedding…..bittersweet, but happy for her to start her own journey.

ETWNAPPEL
01-20-2024, 03:59 PM
Thanks to Mick for letting me know about this thread being revived and thanks Padukacat for sharing. I could write a thesis on all our daughter Catherine has been thru with her Chinese identity and heritage. Both good and bad. I’m sure you guys have been thru much the same. I’ve offered several times to do the dna test and she has held steadfast that she does not want to. She has certainly had to deal with a lifetime of abandonment issues. She is now a UK graduate and has started her career in Columbus Ohio where he boyfriend lives. She has grown into a wonderful woman and is as sweet and smart as she has always been. She’s a model citizen and a blessing. Not sure I remember how to post pictures here, but I’ll give it a shot.

ETWNAPPEL
01-20-2024, 04:25 PM
10773107741077510776[ATTACH=CONFIG]

BigBluePappy
01-20-2024, 04:53 PM
You have every right, all of you , to be very proud.

Catonahottinroof
01-20-2024, 06:48 PM
Congrats to her, and to you and your wife as well.

Thanks to Mick for letting me know about this thread being revived and thanks Padukacat for sharing. I could write a thesis on all our daughter Catherine has been thru with her Chinese identity and heritage. Both good and bad. I’m sure you guys have been thru much the same. I’ve offered several times to do the dna test and she has held steadfast that she does not want to. She has certainly had to deal with a lifetime of abandonment issues. She is now a UK graduate and has started her career in Columbus Ohio where he boyfriend lives. She has grown into a wonderful woman and is as sweet and smart as she has always been. She’s a model citizen and a blessing. Not sure I remember how to post pictures here, but I’ll give it a shot.

Darrell KSR
01-20-2024, 08:05 PM
Wonderful pics and stories, Catonahottinroof and ETWNAPPEL. Thanks for sharing!

Padukacat
01-22-2024, 01:06 PM
So glad to see the updates guys. ET it seems to be much more common to get a match now that china is testing most of their males. My son didn’t want to do it years ago and even though this came as a surprise match from china I believe he would have liked to done it now. I think opening that door to say you’re going to try to find them just opens the door to more pain if it fails so you have to be in a good place to try.