PDA

View Full Version : Barnhart FINALLY speaks out but in a very vague manner

ColonelSteve
10-31-2012, 04:48 PM
“We made some progress and climbed up the hill a little bit and were doing some good things in a really tough league but we’ve found that we’ve stubbed our toes a little bit,” Barnhart said. “We’ve got to figure that out and we’ll get that figured out.”

He also talked about his relationship with head coach Joker Phillips, whose job status has been the source of much speculation with UK’s 1-8 start and winless Southeastern Conference record this season. Kentucky has lost seven straight games and will face Vanderbilt on Saturday at Commonwealth Stadium.

On Phillips, Barnhart said: “Joker is one of my dearest friends. I think the world of him. We’ve been together nine years in some way, shape or form as an assistant coach, coordinator and now as a head coach. … I think the world of him as a man and as a coach and as a leader of our young men and what he’s done. We just have to figure out the football piece and how we get that going in the right direction.”

http://ukfootball.bloginky.com/2012/10/31/barnhart-tells-group-uk-football-not-where-we-want-it-to-be-just-yet/#wgt=rss

dan_bgblue
10-31-2012, 05:11 PM
That is a total waste of bandwidth

Badinage
11-01-2012, 02:39 PM
I think it is the preface to a firing. Let Joker end the season, talk about how much respect there is for the man, even the coach, but then simply conclude that factors lead to a coaching change that do not necessarily reflect poorly on Joker. Good coaches get fired. It just happens. That is what I believe Mithc is laying the ground work for here. He wants Joker and the world to know the respect he has and how difficult this decision is for him.

Firing Kragthorpe was probably tough for Jurich, given their friendship.

LakeCat
11-01-2012, 02:46 PM
I think it is the preface to a firing. Let Joker end the season, talk about how much respect there is for the man, even the coach, but then simply conclude that factors lead to a coaching change that do not necessarily reflect poorly on Joker. Good coaches get fired. It just happens. That is what I believe Mithc is laying the ground work for here. He wants Joker and the world to know the respect he has and how difficult this decision is for him.

Hope you are right, but many of us fear the opposite, that the groundwork is being laid to keep Joker. Several callers last night on Larry Glover claiming good sources say Joker is coming back. Sad to say they seemed legit, sincere callers who weren't happy saying what they were.

ram
11-01-2012, 05:30 PM
Agree. By saying what he said, if he keeps JP, it will appear he did it because of personal vs performance reasons. Conversely, by what he said, when he makes the cut it will show that he did not let his personal feelings dictate his decision.

Badinage
11-01-2012, 06:40 PM
I am not sure those are the only two possible conclusions, Ram.

Badinage
11-04-2012, 05:05 PM

Joker and Mitch handled this well.