PDA

View Full Version : Coach Mike Dunlap says Michael Kidd-Gilchrist will start Friday nights opener vs Ind.

imsoblue
10-31-2012, 03:37 PM
CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Bobcats rookie Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, the No. 2 overall pick in this year's draft, will start the season opener Friday night against the Indiana Pacers, coach Mike Dunlap said.

Dunlap tinkered with his lineup throughout the preseason, but has decided on Kemba Walker starting alongside Gerald Henderson in the backcourt, with Kidd-Gilchrist and Byron Mullens at forward and Brendan Haywood at center.

The Bobcats first-year head coach said that decision was based on that group's defensive ability.

"They get after it defensively," Dunlap said Wednesday. "We have been selling that. ... If I say we're going to tilt this thing toward defense you have to do it with your actions, not your words. And those five there to me, on our deflection chart and all of our defensive things we chart (in the preseason), they are the top five. So that's how I did it."

Charlotte finished with the worst record in the NBA last season at 7-59 and lost its final 23 games.

Dunlap said he plans to go deep into his bench and play 11 players per night, largely because of his plans to pressure the ball on defense.

"If you go with a short bench and you're demanding a lot of trapping on defense there will be a burnout factor," Dunlap said.

Dunlap experimented with a variety of lineups and rotations during the preseason to see what combinations worked best. In particular, Dunlap worked extensively with Walker and Sessions in the backcourt.

"Any kind of movement of the chairs was to get a sampling of player combinations," Dunlap said. "I know more know now what those combinations can do, and yet I still don't have all of the samples. It will take a little longer."

Guards Ben Gordon and Ramon Sessions are expected to see significant playing time and Gordon will be the one who has the ball in his hands when the Bobcats need a big shot at the end of the game. Bismack Biyombo and Tyrus Thomas are also going to see playing time along with rookie Jeff Taylor.

Kidd-Gilchrist has appeared lost at times during the preseason but Dunlap said that's not unusual, even for a high draft pick.

"I don't think any rookie, even (No. 1 overall pick) Anthony Davis, is ready for an 82-game season," Dunlap said. "I think that the rookies go through tremendous highs and lows. It's like your first marathon, they tell you about the wall but when you experience the wall it's a whole different deal."

link (http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/8a9cf588034e458bab4126cd5bfc9b7c/BKN--Bobcats-Starters-Named)

dan_bgblue
10-31-2012, 03:55 PM
Go getum Michael!!

Thanks for the read.

cattails
10-31-2012, 04:34 PM
Sounds like he is on the right team.