PDA

View Full Version : No free minds in America

bigsky
06-10-2015, 09:57 PM
http://reason.com/blog/2015/06/08/a-request-of-our-commenters

Reason Magazine, whose slogan is "Free Minds, free markets" is asking its readers not to comment because the federal government has subpoenaed them to reveal anonymous commenters.

CitizenBBN
06-10-2015, 10:22 PM
Reason is one of my very favorites through the years. I have a t-shirt that says "free minds, free markets, free society."

Little surprise when the government clearly sees Libertarians and those on the right as the threat, not Islamic extremists or leftists bent on Orwellian manipulation of the media and speech itself.

suncat05
06-11-2015, 07:12 AM
I saw an article about this on the Drudge Report yesterday.

Doc
06-11-2015, 09:36 AM
I disagree. You can have a free mind so long as you agree with the people in charge.

Darrell KSR
06-11-2015, 10:18 AM
I disagree. You can have a free mind so long as you agree with the people in charge.

We have both kinds of music. Country AND Western.

Doc
06-11-2015, 02:12 PM

Case in point

FL principle fired (sorry, "reassigned") because he respectfully stated his opinion that the officers actions were appropriate (http://www.inquisitr.com/2163115/alberto-iber-florida-principal-fired-over-mckinney-cop-facebook-post/). -

I always love when the talking heads want a "conversation" about some hot topic. The last thing they want is a conversation. What they want is a monologue to state their opinion and their opinion ONLY.

KeithKSR
06-11-2015, 06:44 PM
To Obama those on the right are extremists.

CitizenBBN
06-11-2015, 08:22 PM
To Obama those on the right are extremists.

As proven by the focus of the FBI and DHS on 'right wing' groups to the exclusion of groups who are actively trying to take over the planet one beheading at a time.

The left has no interest in anything like free thought or tolerance for opposing views. Anyone who dissents is racist, prejudiced, or "phobic" of some group. The latest is "Islamophobic". Anything to shut up those who question the mantra of leftism and social justice.

bigsky
06-14-2015, 05:20 PM
IRS intimidation of conservative groups.

CitizenBBN
06-14-2015, 05:56 PM
I've seen some more on this.

The DOJ's position isn't completely insane, they want the names of people who talked about wishing a federal judge would die/be killed/etc. So i get this was a potential threat situation and they do investigate those things.

The problem is SCOTUS just handed down a pretty clear set of guidelines as to what constitutes a 'threat' versus 'free speech', and what was said doesn't come close to passing their test. In short, the basic "hope Person X gets hit by a bus" type comments out there don't rise to the level of being a threat, and that's what was said in this case.

So while I get they have to investigate such things, I'm a) suspicious they don't do this on leftist and many other sites where there is just as much vitriol and picked out a single small Libertarian one, and b) figure they should be spending their resources on much more obvious threats and not just the normal "so mad I could kill you" offhand comments that mean nothing. Esp. when it borders on a free speech issue and there just isn't enough threat here to justify it.

dan_bgblue
06-14-2015, 08:13 PM
CBBN, we all know that the liberal left is composed on unarmed pacifists that would not harm a fly unless of course the fly landed on the tofu burger. If they say that they want someone to die we also know they really are only wishing them a short but glorious life, or just hoping that person gets hold of some bad drugs.

CitizenBBN
06-14-2015, 08:24 PM
Dan, it is true that liberals would never grab a weapon and go after someone. They'd just go after them with protests and legal action and bureaucrats to drive them into submission or starvation.

Liberals don't want you dead, they want you conforming and pliable. Dead isn't nearly as good to them as a broken spirit.

dan_bgblue
06-14-2015, 08:41 PM
So you are saying that if they are your neighbors and do no like your stance on an issue, they will play disco music at a loud volume for 24 hours a day until you either move away or become a drooling moron like them.

CitizenBBN
06-14-2015, 09:59 PM
So you are saying that if they are your neighbors and do no like your stance on an issue, they will play disco music at a loud volume for 24 hours a day until you either move away or become a drooling moron like them.

They can try, but they don't want that fight. I have everything the Dead Kennedy's ever did. Unless they play the Village People, man I hate YMCA.