PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Prime benefits

KSRBEvans
06-09-2015, 02:06 PM
Good article summarizing all of the benefits of a Prime membership:

http://lifehacker.com/the-awesome-amazon-prime-benefits-you-may-have-forgotte-1710058681?utm_campaign=socialflow_lifehacker_twit ter&utm_source=lifehacker_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

I've been a member for a few years but was unaware of a few of these benefits (e.g. sharing a membership with up to 4 people, unlimited photo storage and 5 GB free for other files on Amazon Cloud).

CitizenBBN
06-09-2015, 07:27 PM
Good list of tips, pretty much talked me into doing it.

Darrell KSR
06-09-2015, 08:27 PM
We have it and did not realize all of those benefits. Thanks very much. It makes it much more palatable.

jazyd
06-09-2015, 10:10 PM
Another independent retailer just went out of business while monies flow out of the community and into wherever. Ten independent sales reps just list their jobs and filed for benefits. How many jobs have been eliminated? His much state income tax has been list ? Oh well who cares,

KSRBEvans
06-10-2015, 01:54 PM
Jazy, I hear what you're saying. I think local sellers add distinctiveness to the community and Mrs. BEvans and I patronize them when we can. We eat at local restaurants whenever possible and we visit the few remaining local bookstores we have (and we buy from there if they have what we're looking for). And local hardware stores are awesome--I love to go there whenever possible.

It's easier to go to specialty stores that are local. Sadly, we don't really have any local general department stores, at least here in Louisville. I still remember those stores that we had in the Ashland area, where I grew up. It seemed those stores went out of business when Wal-Mart moved in. I was sad to see that. You lose a little bit of your heritage when those things happen.

I'm looking at the things I've actually purchased from Amazon in the last 6 months:

--a set of food storage containers (yes, it's an exciting life here at Casa Evans ;) )
--a pair of shoes for the office
--a bluetooth keyboard
--a saute pan
--a Franklin Planner refill set

and I don't think I could've bought them from a local retailer. Maybe the shoes--there might be independent local shoe stores here, but I don't know of any. I could've bought those things from one of the big-box stores that we have here, but those are national chains. Is that any better than buying them from Amazon?

How about the fact that Amazon has local fulfillment centers in the Louisville/Lexington area? Does buying from Amazon help with local jobs (and state taxes, since that's automatically charged if you're a Kentucky buyer)? It's a tough one.

The things I like about Amazon Prime (besides the free 2-day shipping) are the cloud services (video streaming, music streaming, lending library and--now that I know about it--cloud storage. Again, I don't know of any local provider that is in the business of providing those things.

Darrell KSR
06-10-2015, 02:15 PM
Local sellers and service and expertise, and a great deal of quality assurance.

I like Amazon, but there's nothing like a local. Every time.

KSRBEvans
06-16-2015, 02:33 PM
Speaking of which:

External charger/flashlight: $7.99 shipped (with promo code) for Prime customers:

http://9to5toys.com/2015/06/16/omaker-5-port-usb-desktop-charger/

bigsky
06-16-2015, 10:01 PM
Another independent retailer just went out of business while monies flow out of the community and into wherever. Ten independent sales reps just list their jobs and filed for benefits. How many jobs have been eliminated? His much state income tax has been list ? Oh well who cares, Definitely an issue. We have a great hardware/kitchenware/bikeshop store in downtown. We have numerous shops that compete with service. But downtown is losing retail to bars/restaurants because rents are too high, margins too low, and good help too expensive. (Taxes are too high too) . A very difficult problem, small retail, from a municipal policy standpoint too.

Darrell KSR
07-07-2015, 01:09 PM
July 15th they will be having a special "Black Friday" type day where Amazon Prime members will be given special sales all day long to celebrate some anniversary.

CitizenBBN
07-07-2015, 07:41 PM
Saw that, think I'll try it. They say the free trial will work for it too.

Darrell KSR
07-08-2015, 12:22 PM
Saw that, think I'll try it. They say the free trial will work for it too.

Be careful. That's how we ended up with our second Prime membership. We got some deal on the first one, but did not renew when it expired . My son did a 30 day free trial, and did not cancel it. Thanks to this thread, however, it is something that benefits our family even more than we thought, since we can share it.

CitizenBBN
07-09-2015, 08:56 PM
I'm pretty sure I'll keep it if I try it, but sound advice.

Darrell KSR
07-09-2015, 09:12 PM
I'm pretty sure I'll keep it if I try it, but sound advice.

Especially if you can use some of the other benefits besides just the free two day shipping, it can make sense.

Darrell KSR
07-15-2015, 03:00 PM
There are probably some really good deals, but I woke up at 3 a.m. CT (1 a.m. PT), after it had begun for an hour. Then woke up at 6 a.m. for the day, and have periodically checked.

There have been a few things that casually caught my interest, but most of them are sorta like this: Regular price, $49.99, PRIME deal $23.99. (Then you look, and you see that the "real" regular price--after the "PRIME DEAL" is over--is $26.99).

I bought a microcard 3.0 reader. Spent $9.95. Saved $2.40 off what it is now. Whoopie.

I have heard there are some really good deals, but there are so many deals, and it's not in a very easy to use format, that I'm not seeing it.

Oh--and a few casual things I've seen? Already out.

I am looking for two sets of headphones--both bluetooth; one for exercising (can withstand water/sweat, etc.), and one for just relaxing, with the "over the ear" type. I want to spend $0 on either one, and thought I might be able to get something inexpensive that might be halfway decent. I'm not a big music guy; I listen to it when I work out, but when I relax, I'll probably be listening to news, or a baseball game or something.

If anybody knows of a good deal on bluetooth headphones that would fit either need, let me know. Warning: you audiophiles need not apply. I'm not looking for Bose quality (or whatever the name brand is of the day). This is monoprice type quality, solid and reliable, but nothing flashy, and inexpensive.

PedroDaGr8
07-16-2015, 06:06 PM
There are probably some really good deals, but I woke up at 3 a.m. CT (1 a.m. PT), after it had begun for an hour. Then woke up at 6 a.m. for the day, and have periodically checked.

There have been a few things that casually caught my interest, but most of them are sorta like this: Regular price, $49.99, PRIME deal $23.99. (Then you look, and you see that the "real" regular price--after the "PRIME DEAL" is over--is $26.99).

I bought a microcard 3.0 reader. Spent $9.95. Saved $2.40 off what it is now. Whoopie.

I have heard there are some really good deals, but there are so many deals, and it's not in a very easy to use format, that I'm not seeing it.

Oh--and a few casual things I've seen? Already out.

I am looking for two sets of headphones--both bluetooth; one for exercising (can withstand water/sweat, etc.), and one for just relaxing, with the "over the ear" type. I want to spend $0 on either one, and thought I might be able to get something inexpensive that might be halfway decent. I'm not a big music guy; I listen to it when I work out, but when I relax, I'll probably be listening to news, or a baseball game or something.

If anybody knows of a good deal on bluetooth headphones that would fit either need, let me know. Warning: you audiophiles need not apply. I'm not looking for Bose quality (or whatever the name brand is of the day). This is monoprice type quality, solid and reliable, but nothing flashy, and inexpensive.

SlickDeals has this (http://slickdeals.net/f/7963781-taotronics-qy8-bluetooth-4-0-wireless-sport-earbuds-w-mic-18-free-shipping?page=2&rpid=76933471&rp=1&src=featured#commentsBox) Sports Bluetooth Headphones deal for $17.99. I don't own these but they seem to have good reviews.

Darrell KSR
07-16-2015, 07:24 PM
Thanks, Pedro. I put that in my wish list, but the $17.99 special was a week ago, and it's now $29. That's not outrageous for that highly rated, though. Maybe it will do that deal again.

KSRdallen
07-16-2015, 08:25 PM
Thanks, Pedro. I put that in my wish list, but the $17.99 special was a week ago, and it's now $29. That's not outrageous for that highly rated, though. Maybe it will do that deal again.

It's still available for $17.99 as I just ordered them for that. When I clicked buy now, it took me to Amazon and I entered the code and it reduced the cost. So, with the Amazon Prime 2-day shipping, they'll be here on Saturday. Thanks, Pedro!

EDIT: I read in the reviews that these are larger than most, so with small ear canals I cancelled the order.

Darrell KSR
07-16-2015, 11:24 PM
Thanks! Just ordered. (I was looking earlier on my phone, and failed to include the promo code).

KSRBEvans
09-16-2015, 10:17 AM
If you're a Washington Post subscriber/reader, Prime members can now get 6 months of the Post digital edition for free ($60 value):

http://lifehacker.com/amazon-prime-members-now-get-six-months-of-the-washingt-1731032568?utm_campaign=socialflow_lifehacker_twit ter&utm_source=lifehacker_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

After that, you can get a discounted rate of $4/month.

KSRBEvans
09-23-2015, 10:57 AM
PSA: Amazon Prime membership will be on sale Friday for $67 (regularly $99):

http://techcrunch.com/2015/09/22/amazon-prime-memberships-drop-to-67-on-friday-only/

Darrell KSR
09-23-2015, 11:29 AM
Another PSA--if you have someone that can use a phone that's not terribly picky--buying the Amazon Fire phone for $130 or so (can get it cheaper) will get you a year free of Amazon prime.

My wife has been reluctant to adopt a smartphone, instead clinging needlessly to her antiquated keyboard phone, while complaining that she can only keep 200 text messages at a time, doesn't get all the pictures, etc. So I bought her the Amazon Fire phone for $130, and extended my son's Prime for an additional year.

The Fire phone has its issues, and ordinarily, I wouldn't recommend it, but for her--she thinks it is great. And I do like some things about it, like unlimited photo storage (they are all stored on Amazon cloud). The camera is actually pretty good. It's almost worth picking up just for the camera.

KSRBEvans
07-06-2016, 03:06 PM
Amazon is offering 3 months of Audible membership (regularly $45) to Prime members for free:

http://9to5toys.com/2016/07/06/prime-members-get-3-months-of-audible-for-free/

Even though the deal mentions a free trial membership, I was still able to get the deal even though I was an Audible member previously.

PedroDaGr8
07-06-2016, 03:36 PM
Amazon is offering 3 months of Audible membership (regularly $45) to Prime members for free:

http://9to5toys.com/2016/07/06/prime-members-get-3-months-of-audible-for-free/

Even though the deal mentions a free trial membership, I was still able to get the deal even though I was an Audible member previously.

Supposedly, this comes and goes pretty regularly but you can only use it once. There are a few other deals like 0.95 for 3 months or 1.95 for three months going around right now, so someone advised me to use those first and then when the deals get rare use this one.

Also, as an aside, I am really starting to get into audiobooks while driving or attempting to run. They tend to be a bit more engaging than music for me.

PedroDaGr8
07-07-2016, 08:27 AM
Amazon is now offering a $10 amazon credit for ppl who sign up for the 3-month audible trial. If you already signed up, message customer service to see if they will give you teh credit.

KentuckyWildcat
07-08-2016, 02:02 PM
We eat at local restaurants whenever possible

We rarely go out of town anymore to eat. Unless we are already going to Owensboro or Bowling Green anyway. Unfortunately, we don't have many local businesses to support as far as shopping.

KSRBEvans
07-08-2016, 02:54 PM
Amazon is now offering a $10 amazon credit for ppl who sign up for the 3-month audible trial. If you already signed up, message customer service to see if they will give you teh credit.

Great tip--I'll give it a shot, thanks.

KSRBEvans
09-13-2016, 12:11 PM
PSA--Prime members now have free access to Audible Channels, which provides access to 50+ audio books (selection rotates by month) and podcasts:

https://9to5toys.com/2016/09/13/amazon-prime-audible-channels/#more-221518

Darrell KSR
09-14-2016, 08:18 AM
PSA--Prime members now have free access to Audible Channels, which provides access to 50+ audio books (selection rotates by month) and podcasts:

https://9to5toys.com/2016/09/13/amazon-prime-audible-channels/#more-221518
I keep thinking I will get into the audio book thing, but never have.

KSRBEvans
09-14-2016, 10:24 AM
Yeah, I listen to them if I'm driving a long distance. For example, I went to Virginia for training last month and that was good audiobook time.

I drive to work about 40 minutes one-way each day and tend to listen to podcasts during that time (also when I walk the dog in the evening). But that can be good audiobook time, too.

Last 3 audiobooks I listened to were "But Enough About Me" by Burt Reynolds, "Wild" by Cheryl Strayed and "Eight Men Out" by Elliot Asinof. I have "Hillbilly Elegy" (http://www.audible.com/pd/Nonfiction/Hillbilly-Elegy-Audiobook/B01EM4ZO14) by J.D. Vance next up. It's received great reviews and there's a long wait list for the print version at the library.