PDA

View Full Version : More dumb gubmint regulation that we don't need

Doc
06-06-2015, 08:59 AM
this time it affects me directly

Fairness to Pet Owners Act (http://atwork.avma.org/2015/05/07/back-at-it-congress-introduces-sweeping-prescription-mandate-veterinarians/)

So what this proposed Act does is requires vets to always provide a written prescription on any medication. Now this might not sound like a big deal but many of the medication we provide are not human drug you can not get them at your local pharmacy. Most states currently have laws in effect that do require that a vet must provide a written prescription when requested by the owner, but this act requires that even when not requested. If the prescription is filled at the clinic the prescription still must be written. Its a huge waste of time and paper. Some would say it allows client to utilize "on line pharmacies" which is true to some extent however realistically this does not change that since written prescriptions are currently available if requested. Of course there are the issues with on line pharmacies which is that the medications efficacy is not guaranteed by the manufacture. Example-none of the heartworm preventative are manufacture backed to pay for treatment in the event of drug failure (it does occur) if you purchase thru on line pharmacies and no vet will go to bat for you if it does happen. Plus most vet will price match an on line pharmacy on these products...but I'm off topic here. What the hell does congress know about my business? I have numerous compounded products that are not available elsewhere but I'll still need to write an rx and present it even though I know its not available elsewhere, and so will every other vet in the nation. I typically send home 2 rx on average to every client. Say 40 clients a day, 365 days a year, 2 rx per is near 30,000 sheets of paper...yes each one of my rx takes a sheet of paper you stupid tree hugging liberal dumb asses...... multiplied by the roughly 65,000 veterinary practices is almost 2 billion prescriptions per year. Yeah, I'll remember that when I climb into my Prius...........