PDA

View Full Version : Ordering another Alphasmart

Darrell KSR
05-30-2015, 12:03 AM
Can't find mine, and the used ones are so darn cheap on ebay it almost don't pay to look for my own.

Gotta drive CitizenBBN and Pedrodagr8 crazy with my Luddite device, but they are really terrific for what they do.

If you ever have a job or a hobby where you either take a lot of notes via typing, or simply write, as in short stories or books, this is something you should check out.

Darrell KSR
06-04-2015, 12:58 PM
Got that bad boy in yesterday.

http://is.alphasmart.co.uk/pics/b/neo2_single.jpg

$40 I have a device that I can type on and

a) boots up instantly
b) boots down instantly
c) saves to flash memory automatically with every keystroke
d) has a battery life of approximately 700+ HOURS
e) memory is "only" about 200 pages, but my previous Alphasmarts only had 100 page memories, so this is doubling the memory.

I use it for notetaking (on occasion), and have a couple of "files" (there are 8 File buttons on it) that are designated for specific things, like Billing matters, etc. But mostly I use it to "dump" things to my computer. It's designed to be temporary. If I ever get back to writing, this is what I want to use 99% of the time. Love the keyboard, too.

Luddites, Unite! Does nothing other than type and dump. Just what I want.

dan_bgblue
06-04-2015, 07:51 PM
Can you find new NiMH batteries to fit it, or is the one that comes with it rechargeable?

Darrell KSR
06-04-2015, 08:04 PM
Can you find new NiMH batteries to fit it, or is the one that comes with it rechargeable?

I'm not sure if the rechargeable batteries are in it, but if they are, I will remove them. I'm all for being green, but I'll take 700+ hours from disposable alkaline batteries instead.

It has power and I haven't removed the battery compartment to see what type battery yet.

Darrell KSR
06-04-2015, 09:05 PM
Got my curiosity up, so I unscrewed the battery door and it was three AA Duracells.

PedroDaGr8
06-05-2015, 02:30 AM
I'm not sure if the rechargeable batteries are in it, but if they are, I will remove them. I'm all for being green, but I'll take 700+ hours from disposable alkaline batteries instead.

It has power and I haven't removed the battery compartment to see what type battery yet.
I have to say Sanyo/Panasonic Eneloops are pretty damn nice for rechargeable. They are by far the best rechargeables on the market, with absurdly low self discharge rates. You might find these are the rechargeables that change your mind.

Darrell KSR
06-05-2015, 08:47 AM
I have to say Sanyo/Panasonic Eneloops are pretty damn nice for rechargeable. They are by far the best rechargeables on the market, with absurdly low self discharge rates. You might find these are the rechargeables that change your mind.

Not for this product. Plain alklines work years in them before replacing. Other devices, certainly.