PDA

View Full Version : North Myrtle Beach area; What's good?

BigBluePappy
05-28-2015, 07:48 PM
Grammy and I are going to North Myrtle Beach, with my most beloved in-laws from East Tennessee, and since we have never been there I was wondering if any of the KSR, the real and original KSR, faithful have any tips.

We have been to the 'south end' of Myrtle Beach but are looking for something a little more quiet and good heavens dare I say adult, lord knows my BIL and I will never be accused of being that.

First time getting away without a bunch of squawling younguns, and blueboss and catonahottinroof did not steer me wrong in regards to Savannah and Charleston.

Darrell KSR
05-29-2015, 07:32 AM
I don't know, but I am interested for my own future reference...

badrose
05-29-2015, 08:28 AM
If you drive north about 20 minutes there's Calabash which has a plethora of country style seafood restaurants with very reasonable prices. Mostly fried and in large quantities. :) There's a place called Dick's Last Resort that has great food but their shtick is the service folk are obnoxious but it's all in good fun and maybe my favorite. It's just a bit south of NMB on HWY 17. Lots of ongoing shows, mostly country type stuff. Twenty minutes up or down HWY 17 will get you most of what you need. Where are you staying?

BigBluePappy
05-29-2015, 06:34 PM
Heck I have no idea, Grammy treats me like a mushroom; keeps me in the dark and feeds me a load of manure and expects me to thrive.

BigBluePappy
05-29-2015, 06:36 PM
I don't know, but I am interested for my own future reference...

I'll do my best to report on what we find, with a review.

BigBluePappy
05-29-2015, 08:44 PM
Guess what, some sort of "Prince" resort and...it is for families.:mad0176:
While we won't have "our" younguns, we will be subjected to everyone else's...
Place looked nice enough on the interwebs...
Oh, the amount of alcohol needed will be very trying on my Diabetes.:sHa_dielaughing:

CitizenBBN
05-29-2015, 10:09 PM
Maybe it's one of those "family" places like Hedonism II. Yeah, kinda doubt it too. :)

For health reasons stick to straight liquor and no-carb mixers like club soda, or just straight booze. Vodka is probably your best choice, but Bourbon/scotch/gin/tequila are all OK. The alcohol is an issue but they have no carbs or sugars. Just drink it straight and you'll be fine. ;) Also try to start early and drink it steadily throughout the day so you don't have any big spikes in consumption. :)

BigBluePappy
05-29-2015, 11:37 PM
Unfortunately(?), I am a Jim Beam man, and I love me some Devil's Cut, damn near freezing, and the occasional beer man.
Never thought I would like chilled bourbon, boy was I wrong. Found that out in LA (Gulfs Shores) at 02:00 sitting on the terrace watching the night-time surf. Three fingers and I was happy as a clam.
Really had to cut back when I was diagnosed with Type II.
After 60 hour work weeks (last 4 weeks) I am looking forward to some "quiet" down time; then I find out this little nugget.

Could be worse, lest time we were in Myrtle Beach (Honeymoon for Son and DIL) when we got back, I stroked out.
Done that once and it is not worth it...

Woosa, woosa....

Darrell KSR
05-30-2015, 12:00 AM
I'll do my best to report on what we find, with a review.

Will appreciate that, sir. Has been on my radar before.

BigBluePappy
05-30-2015, 06:07 AM
Maybe I'll start off with an easy one, I review the fried vegetables at the Dairy Dart in London, KY.:winking0011:

BigBluePappy
06-01-2015, 01:40 PM
Didn't get to the Dairy Dart in time due to Grammy having to work at the last minute.
We did however make it to the Farmer's Daughter for the umpteenth time, excellent!
Currently at North Myrtle Beach and it is wonderful.
Pimento Cheese sammiches and Yuenglings for everyone!

dan_bgblue
06-01-2015, 03:50 PM
Only time I ever ate at the Dairy Dart, my SIL convinced me to get a few Chile Buns. It took me 2 days to get over that event. As for the fried veggies, I do know that if it cannot be fried is is not served in London

BigBluePappy
06-22-2015, 08:42 PM
Well, where do I start.
Had to forgo the Dairy Dart on the way down, but oh the stop on the way back made up for it.
In Jonesboro we went to The Farmers Daughter (http://thefarmersdaughterrestaurant.com/) in Chuckey, TN. A familiar stop and a favorite.
The trip down the next day started before sunrise, so we stopped at Denny's in Spartanburg. Oh yummy.
Our first night in North Myrtle Beach we ate at, wait for it, Carraba's. I know but I was outvoted 3 to 1. Carraba's is fine, but, well needless to say I was a little steamed.
Next day, we ate at the little restaraunt where we were staying. 3500 Grill at Prince Resort (http://www.yelp.com/biz/3500-ocean-grill-north-myrtle-beach), OK but you can get that here, minus the view of the ocean.
This is when the fun began: We ate breakfast at "home' and went out for dinner the rest of the nights we were there.
Sea Captains House (http://www.seacaptains.com/) ; Smoked Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms to start and then Jambalaya - HEAVEN!
Captain George's Seafood Buffet (https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Captain+George%27s+Seafood+Restauran t+Myrtle+Beach,+SC&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAGOovnz8BQMDQwsHm5SIoaG5gYWxoYGF gYmBmbm5kamFiZESVlEvtqTStLTUkiCe3MqikpxUhaTUxOSMKD GIqEJmngKy-CFGVYMKC0sDAzMLS1PjJFNTI0MDQyuDiqRkg7QkQ0PTJNMUA0s zQwuGtQ0pKrOFBR6aFjQtKhebN18x-TAAkqSM66EAAAA&rlst=n) - OK but not all it is made out to be.
Then i finally got to one of the concierge's and ask them to point me in the right direction, boy did they! Duffy's (http://www.duffyst.com/) the Cherry Grove location a gem that you can not believe.
We also found a little Grocery, Boulineau's (http://www.boulineaus.com/) that was outstanding.
On the way back we ate at The Main Table in Laurinburg, NC. (http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-main-table-laurinburg)- food was outstanding. Fried chicken was off the chain. This from an old Baptist boy, I know my fried chicken.

Well, that is the rundown.
Never really had a bad meal but was disappointed at my family (wife, her sister and my beloved brother in law) for throwing in Carraba's.
Oh, and I had my Yeunglings when I was down there.
Had one with my son-in-law, his was on the left and mine on the right; he unfortunately for him, was still in Louisville, I however was in South Carolina.:evilgrin0007:

Pretty much an awesome trip but here is the real reason for it, and worth every minute at Carabba's:

Still glad to be back in the Bluegrass and maybe we can make it to my beloved L.A. next year.

Sorry to keep you guys waiting.

Oh, by the way, Grammy is on the right and my s-i-l is on the left.

Lfbj00
06-23-2015, 12:47 AM
Pappy, I hope you brought you some Black and Tans back home with ya!! One of my favorites...brought myself back 24 from Panama City Beach. Hate it that they don't sell em here in Louisville.

BigBluePappy
06-23-2015, 05:26 AM
Brought a 12 pack of each back and down to a very precious few...S-I-L madew up for missing out when I was in SC. Said it was a nice thought but didn't do him any good.

Lfbj00
06-23-2015, 06:01 PM
4732. Pappy, I don't know if you've ever tried this or not, but it's eerily close to the Yeungling. I bought one on our last day at PCB...needed a beer or two for the last day, and didn't want to buy 12. Couldn't believe how good it was, and I looked it up online, and the first comparison was Yeungling, plus the bottles are pretty cool looking. They have them at Liquor Barn on Fern Valley Rd.
Brought a 12 pack of each back and down to a very precious few...S-I-L madew up for missing out when I was in SC. Said it was a nice thought but didn't do him any good.

BigBluePappy
06-24-2015, 05:10 AM
I have, pretty good beer.
Maybe we need a thread, like e had on the old board for beers you are enjoying now?