PDA

View Full Version : Audiophiles: A question about a music player App

KSRdallen
05-25-2015, 08:26 AM
I've been using the Onkyo HF Music Player on my iPhone. I really like the interface, the preset EQ options as well as the fact I can manually control and save a personal EQ setting myself. The music I have in my library is primarily CD's which I uploaded to iTunes and CD's I've bought from iTunes, so I don't think there is anything too high tech about what I listen to. I use some pretty good ear buds, but don't use Onkyo's headphones for which I think there is some optimization.

I use the free version, but am wondering if I need to upgrade to the paid version. I don't mind buying Apps and even like doing so to support developers. However, this paid version is $9.99, which is much higher than most Apps and I'm not sure I really need the upgraded version. The description of what is supported in the free versus paid versions says:

Free Version (iPod Library)
• MP3/ALAC/AAC/WAV/AIFF (up to 48 kHz)
*DRM-protected files are not supported.

Paid Version (HD Library and iPod Library)
• Above formats plus DSF/DSD-IFF [DSD(2.8 MHz) / Double-rate DSD(5.6 MHz) / Quad-rate DSD(11.2 MHz), DoP / PCM conversion], FLAC/ALAC/WAV/AIFF (up to 384kHz), Ogg-Vorbis (up to 384 kHz)
* Requires iPhone 5s or later for DSD 11.2 MHz and above. MP3 not supported in HD Library.

Here is the link to the full information.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/onkyo-hf-player/id704139896?mt=8

Should I consider upgrading?

Thanks!

KSRdallen
06-01-2015, 02:27 AM
Bump. Hoping someone has insights on this. Thanks!

MickintheHam
06-01-2015, 04:51 PM
Bump. Hoping someone has insights on this. Thanks!

I am not a qualified expert. What I did do was purchase some Sonos wireless speakers for three rooms in the house after the receiver for my home theatre went out. I will replace that system when I get a new TV. TV works but receiver and TV took a hit when lightening struck just out side that room. But the Sonos and Rhapsody give me the best music ever.

I have never been so pleased with an electronics product in my life as I have the Sonos speakers. I view the premium I pay for the music as a minor expense compare to the pleasure it generates. But, I run everything through the IPAD and can control what is being played. Sonos is compatible with Itunes, I heart radio and tune in. I also leave it on when I am not home, just to keep anyone whocomes to the door guessing.

KSRdallen
06-01-2015, 06:55 PM
I am not a qualified expert. What I did do was purchase some Sonos wireless speakers for three rooms in the house after the receiver for my home theatre went out. I will replace that system when I get a new TV. TV works but receiver and TV took a hit when lightening struck just out side that room. But the Sonos and Rhapsody give me the best music ever.

I have never been so pleased with an electronics product in my life as I have the Sonos speakers. I view the premium I pay for the music as a minor expense compare to the pleasure it generates. But, I run everything through the IPAD and can control what is being played. Sonos is compatible with Itunes, I heart radio and tune in. I also leave it on when I am not home, just to keep anyone whocomes to the door guessing.

Mick, a friend of mine has Sonos and is completely satisfied. When I get to a point of needing an upgrade in the house, this will be the way to go. Thanks!

kingcat
06-01-2015, 09:33 PM
I'm all about wow, hiss, and flutter

http://www.thepeoplehistory.com/imagesnewproject/portable8trackplayer.jpg

PedroDaGr8
06-09-2015, 01:47 AM
I've been using the Onkyo HF Music Player on my iPhone. I really like the interface, the preset EQ options as well as the fact I can manually control and save a personal EQ setting myself. The music I have in my library is primarily CD's which I uploaded to iTunes and CD's I've bought from iTunes, so I don't think there is anything too high tech about what I listen to. I use some pretty good ear buds, but don't use Onkyo's headphones for which I think there is some optimization.

I use the free version, but am wondering if I need to upgrade to the paid version. I don't mind buying Apps and even like doing so to support developers. However, this paid version is $9.99, which is much higher than most Apps and I'm not sure I really need the upgraded version. The description of what is supported in the free versus paid versions says:

Free Version (iPod Library)
• MP3/ALAC/AAC/WAV/AIFF (up to 48 kHz)
*DRM-protected files are not supported.

Paid Version (HD Library and iPod Library)
• Above formats plus DSF/DSD-IFF [DSD(2.8 MHz) / Double-rate DSD(5.6 MHz) / Quad-rate DSD(11.2 MHz), DoP / PCM conversion], FLAC/ALAC/WAV/AIFF (up to 384kHz), Ogg-Vorbis (up to 384 kHz)
* Requires iPhone 5s or later for DSD 11.2 MHz and above. MP3 not supported in HD Library.

Here is the link to the full information.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/onkyo-hf-player/id704139896?mt=8

Should I consider upgrading?

Thanks!

Sorry, I was on vacation these past two weeks (best vacation of my life so far but that is for another thread). If you do not use FLAC or Apple Lossless then there is very little reason to use the paid version of this app. The other formats are quite esoteric and not likely to be encountered in most situations I don't think.

KSRdallen
06-09-2015, 06:50 AM
Sorry, I was on vacation these past two weeks (best vacation of my life so far but that is for another thread). If you do not use FLAC or Apple Lossless then there is very little reason to use the paid version of this app. The other formats are quite esoteric and not likely to be encountered in most situations I don't think.

Thanks, Pedro. That was my uneducated guess, but I appreciate you weighing in to confirm! Glad you had an amazing vacation!