PDA

View Full Version : How to post a picture...

CatinIL
10-29-2012, 01:44 PM
If I want to post a picture that I took with my camera, how do I do it?

badrose
10-29-2012, 01:59 PM
Upload it to your computer presumably where you have a folder for them. To bring it here click on the "image" icon above your reply. You'll have the choice to use an url (where it might be found online) or, your computer. Click on the "computer" tab and navigate until you select the pic from your computer. You'll see the file in your reply box, then hit Upload. That should do it.

CatinIL
10-29-2012, 06:22 PM
I'm obviously picture downloading challenged. When I followed your instructions, the download failed. The file size is 3872 x 2592. Is that too large?

badrose
10-29-2012, 06:49 PM
Do you use Flickr or Photobucket?

blueboss
10-29-2012, 06:52 PM

It worked for me ....finally

TonyRay
10-29-2012, 06:55 PM

dan_bgblue
10-29-2012, 07:16 PM
I'm obviously picture downloading challenged. When I followed your instructions, the download failed. The file size is 3872 x 2592. Is that too large?

That is not really the file size. File size is measured in KB or MB. I think the system will not allow files to be uploaded that are more than 180-200 KB.

blueboss
10-29-2012, 07:26 PM

Interesting perspective your photo from the west side going down while mine is the east side coming up.

CatinIL
10-29-2012, 08:00 PM
Do you use Flickr or Photobucket?

Neither, I was just trying to download it straight from my computer...

Darrell KSR
10-30-2012, 06:43 AM
Step 1.

Do you see the icon that is the 3rd from the right? If you "hover" your cursor over it, it should say, "Insert Image."

You have to see that first.

Let me know when you see it. I'll wait.....

Waiting...

Waiting...

OK, you have found it. Good. Click it.

Step 2.

A box will appear after you click it.

In the box it will say at the top "Insert Image."

See that?

Right below it has two tabs. The one on the left says "From Computer." The one on the right says "From URL."

Make sure the "From Computer" Tab is checked (you can click on it to make sure.)

That's step two.

Step 3.

There is a button at the bottom that says "Select Files."

Click the button.

Your computer's hard drive will pop up. You can mosey around in your hard drive til you find where you have the picture on your computer.

Click that file. Then click "Save."

I'll wait.

Waiting...

Waiting...

When you have done that, at the bottom of the box will be a button that says "Upload File(s)"

Click it.

Step 4. Wait for it to upload. It may take a minute or so; that's a pretty large size (I don't know the limit on the size. Here's one that is 1.12 MB, but I tried to upload one that was over 5MB and it wouldn't load.)

Enjoy.

CatinIL
10-30-2012, 08:41 AM
Thanks Darrell, I'll give it a shot tonight...if I remember. :)

CatinIL
10-30-2012, 07:55 PM
After I click on browse and click on the image file I want to down load, when I click on the upload file button, I get "Upload of file failed" :(

dan_bgblue
10-30-2012, 08:03 PM
When you get to the step to chose an image file, please right click on the file. Then select properties. Look to see how many MB or KB are in the file size and report back here

Darrell KSR
10-31-2012, 06:36 AM
Odds are Dan's onto it--file size too large. Somewhere between 1MB and 5MB file size is too large.

It's an easy fix; one I do several times a week here. Just reduce the size of the photo. If I'm just doing one photo, I go to www.picresize.com. You can follow the very easy online instructions there--it's a free online picture resizer (also allows limited cropping and such, too). Nice, easy and free.

If you want to do a "batch" of photos--I often do this--I have a free program that does it in batch. Won't mention it here because I don't want to confuse the issue, but it works great. So much fun to reduce the size of photos from 1 or 2 MB to 162kb or something that makes it easier to email, post on websites, upload to photo galleries, etc. And takes a ton less hard drive space, obviously.

My camera's max setting is 14mp, with result in photo sizes more than 5MB in size. I never use that setting, except for something very rare. (I am doing photo head shots for my kids' school's play, and I use 14 for that, but that's rare). Normally, I ratchet it down all the way to 3mp for most, and then even reduce the size from that for web usage.

CatinIL
10-31-2012, 07:25 AM
I'll give it a try tonight. The image is a jpeg that was converted over from a RAW image. Camera used has a 10 megapix sensor.

dan_bgblue
10-31-2012, 01:51 PM
I'll give it a try tonight. The image is a jpeg that was converted over from a RAW image. Camera used has a 10 megapix sensor.

Yes this is the problem. The RAW file is 10 mp and depending on how you have the camera or your photo management program set up, the jpeg file is somewhere between 1.5 MB and 5 MB. If you follow Darrell's instructions on file resizing, you should be able to upload with no problems.

CatinIL
10-31-2012, 06:18 PM

Success!

Now, what the heck are all of those people doing on my lawn!!! :mad:

dan_bgblue
10-31-2012, 06:21 PM

Success!

Now, what the heck are all of those people doing on my lawn!!! :mad:

Weeding?

Glad you got it figured out. By the way, what do you do with the 108 rooms you do not use?

CatinIL
10-31-2012, 06:45 PM
Weeding?

Glad you got it figured out. By the way, what do you do with the 108 rooms you do not use?

I put TVs in them and play last years NCAA championship game non stop. :D