PDA

View Full Version : The Freedom Act = Patriot Act Lite?

dan_bgblue
05-15-2015, 03:15 PM
Are you willing to continue to give up your freedoms in trade for the bogus idea that the federal government can protect you? (http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/05/14/dont-be-fooled-by-freedom-act-it-wont-stop-government-spying.html?intcmp=ob_homepage_opinion&intcmp=obnetwork)

suncat05
05-15-2015, 03:25 PM
No. Period. End of discussion.

KeithKSR
05-16-2015, 05:21 PM
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.-- Benjamin Franklin

kingcat
05-17-2015, 02:01 PM
When President Bush announced the Patriot Act, my friend turned to me and said "we lost"

That was true then, and it's still true today.

dan_bgblue
05-17-2015, 05:48 PM
Shame on you Mitch McConnell (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/05/17/senate-fight-looms-as-law-allowing-nsa-to-collect-americans-phone-data-is-set/)

Doc
05-17-2015, 05:53 PM
Shame on you Mitch McConnell (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/05/17/senate-fight-looms-as-law-allowing-nsa-to-collect-americans-phone-data-is-set/)

Knee jerk pandering.

KeithKSR
05-21-2015, 08:40 AM
Kudos to Rand Paul for wanting an end put to the digital mining of Americans' records. The Courts have already struck down this tactic, it makes no sense for the Senate to renew an act struck down by the Courts and nearly certain to be struck down again on appeal.

Not one example has been cited of this tactic's use leading to the squashing of a terroristic act of any kind. The original intent of the law was for use in communications with terrorists overseas, not the average Joe or Jane making run of the mill phone calls.

Doc
05-21-2015, 10:29 AM
Kudos to Rand Paul for wanting an end put to the digital mining of Americans' records. The Courts have already struck down this tactic, it makes no sense for the Senate to renew an act struck down by the Courts and nearly certain to be struck down again on appeal.

Not one example has been cited of this tactic's use leading to the squashing of a terroristic act of any kind. The original intent of the law was for use in communications with terrorists overseas, not the average Joe or Jane making run of the mill phone calls.

Yes but they do know that I never order pineapple on my pizza when I call in my domino's order. They have that on record.

suncat05
05-21-2015, 12:24 PM
Yes but they do know that I never order pineapple on my pizza when I call in my domino's order. They have that on record.

Yeah, those darn pineapples are so anti-social and disruptive to the public good.........I don't blame you at all, Doc. I wouldn't want any stinkin' pineapple anywhere close to my pizza pie either!

I understand the original intent. And I agree that we need to keep tight surveillance on these guys. Absolutely. But this is exactly why we have the CIA the DIA & the NSA and so forth. That is their job to keep track of these foreign problem children. So, to me, the entire Patriot Act and the formation of the Department of Homeland Security was well intentioned but in the end just another federal bureaucratic farce that costs the taxpayers unnecessary money by way of duplication of effort and lack of maximum results. So, in that light, I agree with Senator Rand Paul and what he's saying.
And yet another shining example of a runaway federal government that is watching the wrong people instead of the people they should be protecting us from.

Doc
05-21-2015, 02:15 PM
Damn liberals want to ban pepperoni! Only pizza with bean sprouts, spinach, tofu and pineapple. Otherwise too much trans fats. Want to ban pepperoni, sausage, coke a cola and Twinkies because they can kill you......but they defend abortions :confused0007:

KeithKSR
05-22-2015, 08:27 PM
Damn liberals want to ban pepperoni! Only pizza with bean sprouts, spinach, tofu and pineapple. Otherwise too much trans fats. Want to ban pepperoni, sausage, coke a cola and Twinkies because they can kill you... :confused0007:

You can get your coke and twinkies without being hassled if you are on food stamps.