PDA

View Full Version : Making Army style creamed beef, or.........

suncat05
10-27-2012, 04:35 PM
otherwise known as S.O.S.! My wife suggested it, said she has been thniking about asking me to make it, so..........I'm in the process right now! Yum-yum-yum! :)

MickintheHam
10-27-2012, 06:31 PM
Today was a day to make chili. Except for a can of RoTel tomatoes and a cup or so of tequila, it is made with all fresh ingredients. Just enough jalapeņos and habeneros to get your attention.

CitizenBBN
10-27-2012, 07:50 PM
I always made my chili with tomatoes but have gotten away from it for whatever reason. I've gone more and more Texas style over the years. Still use beans but they're pretty optional at this point. Have my secret ingredients of course. Can't be chili without a secret ingredient.

I like chipped beef over toast once in a while. Here's an army recipe to feed 60, in case you plan on having friends over:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cookbook:Chipped_beef_on_toast

dan_bgblue
10-27-2012, 08:16 PM
I grew up on SOS might have been weaned on it for all I know. Mom made it once a week and she made enough that there was enough left over to make two more meals for the family. We grew our own beef so that cut the cost, plus we milked our own cows and churned our own butter, so we had to buy the flour.

Mighty tasty atop a piece of sourdough toast.

BigBluePappy
10-28-2012, 08:29 AM
Suncat, you just inspired me.
I'll surprise the missus when she gets home.

suncat05
10-28-2012, 03:16 PM
Suncat, you just inspired me.
I'll surprise the missus when she gets home.

Thanks, Pappy! You know, whenever my daughter comes home from school she always calls ahead and tells me what she wants me to fix for her. Kid loves her some of my cooking! She always asks me to fix 1)my homemade spaghetti sauce and homemade meatballs, 2)S.O.S. over whole wheat egg noodles(although sometimes she likes it over rice or over mashed potatoes), 3)homemade cube steak with gravy, 4)my own secret recipe homemade meatloaf.
I just wish she was finally done with school and could come home for a visit without having to worry about getting back to school! But all this schooling will pay off in the not-too-distant-future.

And CBBN, the recipe is pretty simliar, just some minor variations. Oh, and it's not like i'm feeding 60 some odd people, although with the way my son eats up everything he finds in the kitchen I can't ever seem to make enough! :eek:

BigBluePappy
10-28-2012, 06:16 PM
Got adventurous.
1/2 Ground Chuck and 1/2 Ground Sausage.
Was more than OK - there wasn't any left - three people.

suncat05
10-28-2012, 06:21 PM
Got adventurous.
1/2 Ground Chuck and 1/2 Ground Sausage.
Was more than OK - there wasn't any left - three people.

Way to go, Pappy! +5!! :cool:

dethbylt
10-29-2012, 12:29 AM
otherwise known as S.O.S.! My wife suggested it, said she has been thniking about asking me to make it, so..........I'm in the process right now! Yum-yum-yum! :)

SOS (with the toast shingle of course) with a warm cup of coffee makes a great start to the day. Especially out in the field.

suncat05
10-29-2012, 12:50 PM
SOS (with the toast shingle of course) with a warm cup of coffee makes a great start to the day. Especially out in the field.

I remember those mornings @ Ft. Campbell & in Germany very well, and fondly now too.
And don't forget about that drop or two of hot sauce to go with that, the scrambled eggs & fried potatoes too!

ShoesSwayedBlue
11-01-2012, 10:21 PM
My Dad, and his Dad too, both pulled so much KP while in the Air Force and Army respectively that they could both whip up SOS in a minute. Who would have ever known that being so hardheaded and causing trouble would pay off so well later in life? I still love it. :D

CitizenBBN
11-01-2012, 11:32 PM
My Dad, and his Dad too, both pulled so much KP while in the Air Force and Army respectively that they could both whip up SOS in a minute. Who would have ever known that being so hardheaded and causing trouble would pay off so well later in life? I still love it. :D

lol. I read the first sentence and was going to tease you about why they were in so much trouble, then you went and owned it as a badge of family honor. :D

Bet they could peel a mean potato too.

MickintheHam
11-02-2012, 02:51 PM

Obviously, the hard headed and trouble making genes skipped your generation. I didn't know how lucky we all are!!!:cool:

dethbylt
11-11-2012, 12:07 AM
I remember those mornings @ Ft. Campbell & in Germany very well, and fondly now too.
And don't forget about that drop or two of hot sauce to go with that, the scrambled eggs & fried potatoes too!

Man that tobasco was the best. Were the eggs green for you too?

I just got back from Germany and they were feeding the modern version of T-Rats. We were in a field rotation though so i will forgive that this time.

suncat05
11-11-2012, 07:07 AM
Man that tobasco was the best. Were the eggs green for you too?

I just got back from Germany and they were feeding the modern version of T-Rats. We were in a field rotation though so i will forgive that this time.

Yes, the eggs always had that green tint about them. LOL! But they still tasted like eggs, and I'm still alive, so it didn't hurt me any. And yeah, Tabasco sauce cures many problems, I certainly agree.
You mention T-rations..........I do not remember what it was called, but just prior to my ETS we went to the field and the "cookies" brought out these breakfast meals that appeared to be in big shallow pans that they put in boiling water, which in turn heated up the food, which was then served to the troops. There were several different combinations too, one even was a breakfast bread pudding with breakfast sausages, aside from the normal eggs/bacon/sausage combinations or eggs/potatoes/meat combinations. Maybe they were called T-rations and I've just forgotten over time.

uklandrn
12-11-2012, 11:02 AM
My grandmother made S.O.S. but instead of putting it on toast she made biscuits. One of my favorite memories growing up was Sunday morning biscuits and gravy at my Gran's house. I am the only person in the family that makes it now - but when my family is staying over at my house I try to whip this up for breakfast. Yum!

suncat05
12-11-2012, 11:38 AM
I am going to pick up my daughter from the airport in Tampa on Thursday, as she'll be home on break from school for an entire month. I spoke with her last night and guess what she asked me to make right away? SOS. Kid likes my culinary skills, I guess.
That..........and then she says she wants to go shooting! LOL!

What have I created?

CitizenBBN
12-11-2012, 04:09 PM
I am going to pick up my daughter from the airport in Tampa on Thursday, as she'll be home on break from school for an entire month. I spoke with her last night and guess what she asked me to make right away? SOS. Kid likes my culinary skills, I guess.
That..........and then she says she wants to go shooting! LOL!

What have I created?

I got a little choked up. :) Home cookin' and shooting. Is she marrying age?

suncat05
12-12-2012, 02:52 PM
LOL! She may be a tad too young for ya though!