PDA

View Full Version : TAGS Trivia (The Andy Griffith Show)

Darrell KSR
04-19-2015, 03:11 PM
No googling allowed!

Ask one question, and whoever answers it asks the next question.

First question will be an easy one.

Checks and balances weren't perfect in Mayberry. In addition to his position as the high Sheriff of Mayberry, what other official position did Andy Taylor hold?

kingcat
04-19-2015, 03:29 PM
Justice of the peace?

Darrell KSR
04-19-2015, 03:33 PM
Yessir! Your question.

kingcat
04-19-2015, 03:41 PM
What was the name of Mayberry's favorite fishing hole?

Darrell KSR
04-19-2015, 05:49 PM
I'm not sure I know the answer, and I'm not going to guess. But a side note here is that in the county where I live there is a good fishing hole called Mayberry Creek in Montevallo, Alabama. At least I am told it is good fishing, although I have never tried it out myself.

kingcat
04-19-2015, 06:28 PM
I always loved the scene, in California I'm sure, of Mayberry's fishing lake. I usually whistle the TAGS theme when I go fishing..which has been a while. Sometimes I'll even skip a rock or two.

Darrell KSR
04-20-2015, 01:19 PM
Not sure this is the right answer, but Meyer's Lake?

Could be another. Old Man Kelsey's Creek?

Darrell KSR
04-20-2015, 02:27 PM
If neither is correct, penalize me thirty lashes with a wet noodle, but I'm going to go ahead and ask the next TAGS trivia question. Waiting for badrose and some of the other aficionados to chime in--I know we have several big fans here.

Here's my question. It's multiple parts; answer ONE part...allow at least an hour to go by, and if nobody has answered it, you can chime in again with as many answers as you'd like.

Name an Andy Griffith girlfriend on the show. I'm thinking of at least 4; will provide hints if necessary. I don't think this is a hard question, but this isn't meant to be "stump the band," as much as reliving some good moments, so I'll go ahead and prime the question.

The ones I'm thinking of are....

a) A schoolteacher
b) A nurse
c) A lady druggist
d) A Chicago executive. Can't remember now, seems like advertising or marketing or something.

Answer ONE, allow at least an hour to go by and if nobody has answered again, you can answer as many as you'd like. Then ask the next question.

badrose
04-20-2015, 08:29 PM
Helen Crump

Darrell KSR
04-20-2015, 10:14 PM
Helen Crump

Good to see badrose make an appearance and no doubt he'll be correct, as he was with old lady Crump.

Other 3 are now open for anyone to answer.

badrose
04-20-2015, 11:06 PM
The druggist was Miss Ellie iirc. There was a manicurist as well but she didn't stick around long. Too bad.

kingcat
04-20-2015, 11:12 PM
It was Myers Lake by the way. Sorry, having some trouble navigating the site the last day or so.

I'm drawing blanks.

Doc
04-21-2015, 08:58 AM
What was the name of Mayberry's favorite fishing hole?

Speaking of the fishing hole, wasn't that the title of the theme song?

Doc
04-21-2015, 09:10 AM
Alice Harper

Darrell KSR
04-21-2015, 10:25 AM
Lady druggist was indeed Miss Ellie Walker.

The nurse was Nurse Peggy, but I don't remember her last name. McMillan? That may not be right.

The ad executive came back for one show, a high school class reunion where she and Andy reminisced about one of the great romances of all time, Sharon DeSpain. The actress caused a little bit of confusion, because she had a striking resemblance to Betty Lynn, the actress who played Thelma Lou later in the show. A lot of people thought it was the same person, but it was another actress.

Next question - name a deputy Sheriff of Mayberry besides Barney Fife. I can think of 3 temporary ones, and one permanent one later. Name one, then same rule... Let somebody else answer the next one, but if an hour gap goes by, all questions can then be answered by anybody.

Darrell KSR
04-21-2015, 10:27 AM
Alice Harper

Outstanding answer, and one I didn't think of. She indeed was an old girlfriend of Andy's. The old dog got around.

If you want to ask the next one, I'll delete mine and save it for later.

Doc
04-21-2015, 12:03 PM
Olivia Pope? I'm sure Andy slept with her since everybody else has. :671:

kingcat
04-21-2015, 05:29 PM
Had to look it up Doc, but you are correct on the theme title.
Thought this was interesting..

Earle Hagen was one of the most versatile of television’s important composers. He wrote full orchestral scores, jazz, rock—whatever suited the material. None of his major themes—for The Dick Van Dyke Show, I Spy, and the Mod Squad—sounded alike. In 1960, Hagen was given a new series about a small-town lawman surrounded by folksy kooks. He had the summer to think about it, and in the end, he responded to the character of the sheriff, a widower raising a small boy, more than the premise. “He was the kind of guy who’d whistle,” Hagen said of Sheriff Andy Taylor. He wrote the theme in an hour, and recorded it with just a guitar and a bass drum (for a jug-band flavor) as backup. Hagen whistled the tune himself. His 11-year-old son snapped his fingers on the track.

kingcat
04-21-2015, 05:39 PM
I think the answer is Warren. Not sure about the last name Darrell..or did they even give him one?..
..huh, huh, huh, huh?. ;)

On the chance that I'm right I'll offer up another question related to Warren.

The character Warren is related to one of the other TAGS characters.
Can anyone name that person?

blueboss
04-21-2015, 08:41 PM
I think the answer is Warren. Not sure about the last name Darrell..or did they even give him one?..
..huh, huh, huh, huh?. ;)

On the chance that I'm right I'll offer up another question related to Warren.

The character Warren is related to one of the other TAGS characters.
Can anyone name that person?

Wasn't Warren Floyd the barbers nephew?

kingcat
04-21-2015, 09:58 PM
Wasn't Warren Floyd the barbers nephew?

Yep, he was. You are up BB.

blueboss
04-22-2015, 11:34 PM
What make of car was the squad car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doc
04-23-2015, 08:11 AM
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--yU3otVN4--/17rppn9w5on3vjpg.jpg

Darrell KSR
04-23-2015, 11:27 AM
Ford Galaxy, IIRC. Every year a new one, I think.

ukcatlvr
04-23-2015, 12:43 PM
Peggy = nurse. I think...................

Darrell KSR
04-23-2015, 04:09 PM
Had to look it up Doc, but you are correct on the theme title.
Thought this was interesting..

Earle Hagen was one of the most versatile of television’s important composers. He wrote full orchestral scores, jazz, rock—whatever suited the material. None of his major themes—for The Dick Van Dyke Show, I Spy, and the Mod Squad—sounded alike. In 1960, Hagen was given a new series about a small-town lawman surrounded by folksy kooks. He had the summer to think about it, and in the end, he responded to the character of the sheriff, a widower raising a small boy, more than the premise. “He was the kind of guy who’d whistle,” Hagen said of Sheriff Andy Taylor. He wrote the theme in an hour, and recorded it with just a guitar and a bass drum (for a jug-band flavor) as backup. Hagen whistled the tune himself. His 11-year-old son snapped his fingers on the track.

Very interesting history! Love this.

Darrell KSR
04-23-2015, 04:12 PM
Let's modify our rules game just a little. Anybody that has a question can ask it, but let's not have more than 2 open questions at a time. To me, the purpose of this game isn't to stump everybody, but to relive some cool trivia from one of the best shows in American history (to me, at least).

Let's get another question going.

There was a little boy who constantly had peanut butter and jelly on his face, and a partially eaten sandwich he would often offer a bite to Barney with. In real life, he was Ron Howard's little brother, Client. What was the little boy's name on the show?

BigBluePappy
04-23-2015, 05:22 PM
Leon.
And if correct, I'll have to defer back to you on the question, I am not that big of a TAGS trivia buff.

Darrell KSR
04-23-2015, 05:35 PM
Leon is right! Nicely done, for a non-TAGS guy. I'll throw another one out there if you don't want to.

"Check point Chicky" was the undercover name Barney gave to an operation he had which increased the rolling stock of the Mayberry police force. What did it involve (and try to be somewhat specific)?

kingcat
04-23-2015, 06:19 PM
I know all (vroom!..) BUT the specifics. I'm going to look it up and let someone else try to recall.

BigBluePappy
04-23-2015, 06:46 PM
Leon is right! Nicely done, for a non-TAGS guy. I'll throw another one out there if you don't want to.

Oh, I loved the show, actually the old b&W better than the color but I guess I didn't get the trivia gene on that one particular show.

Oh, I am a "car guy" a little bit and I believe they were '63 Ford Galaxie and then later a "65 Ford Galaxie; may have been more as I said, I am not that big on TAGS Trivia but LOVED the show.

blueboss
04-23-2015, 08:32 PM

"Check point Chicky" was the undercover name Barney gave to an operation he had which increased the rolling stock of the Mayberry police force. What did it involve (and try to be somewhat specific)?

Barney got, i believe a Harley, but it may have been an Indian, regardless it had a sidecar

Darrell KSR
04-23-2015, 10:25 PM
Sidecar was the specific thing I was looking for--the motor-sickle (his pronounciation) and sidecar! Nicely done.

There's no question on the table, so I'll ask another one, but feel free to add your own.

"What does a gumball machine need with money?" This person on TAGS went on to star in his own TV series for years, but played a ne'er do well who was providing Opie with a less-than-perfect role model.

Who was this actor?

Barney got, i believe a Harley, but it may have been an Indian, regardless it had a sidecar

kingcat
04-23-2015, 10:58 PM
One of the quotes from the ' moto-cycle sidecar " episode..

Barney Fife: If you ride with your mouth open in the wind and put your tongue against the roof of your mouth, its impossible to pronounce a word that begins with the letter 's'.

Andy Taylor: You didn't let anyone see you riding with your mouth open?

Not slapstick so much but they were a great comedy team. Right there with the best in hindsight.

blueboss
04-24-2015, 12:00 AM
Sidecar was the specific thing I was looking for--the motor-sickle (his pronounciation) and sidecar! Nicely done.

There's no question on the table, so I'll ask another one, but feel free to add your own.

"What does a gumball machine need with money?" This person on TAGS went on to star in his own TV series for years, but played a ne'er do well who was providing Opie with a less-than-perfect role model.

Who was this actor?

I'm going with Jim Neighbors

Darrell KSR
04-24-2015, 12:33 AM
Change your "golllly" to "Well, doggy," and you'll be on the right track.

I'm going with Jim Neighbors

Darrell KSR
04-24-2015, 02:40 PM
Next hint - he was also first pegged to be the Tin Man in the Wizard of Oz, but had a problem with the silver makeup paint and had to bow out.

BigBluePappy
04-24-2015, 05:05 PM
Buddy Ebsen.

Again, if correct I'll have to defer to you, sir for the question.

Darrell KSR
04-24-2015, 05:41 PM
Bingo!, none other than "Jed" Clampett, Buddy Ebsen. Buddy played a drifter who was teaching Opie some bad habits, like skipping school. Great actor, despite the silly, dumb (but I always watched it) Beverly Hillbillies.

OK, I don't mind asking questions, but anybody else feel free to chime in as well. I love TAGS and enoy talking about it.

Let's go to one of the later shows, colorized-nobody liked these as much, and neither did I, but I think this is a pretty cool question, and an episode I actually saw not long ago.

Aunt Bea was called for jury duty, and she served on a case that appeared open and shut. 11 of the 12 jurors voted "guilty" right away, but something told her the defendant wasn't guilty of the crime, and she was the lone holdout.

Long story short--an interested spectator in the courthouse turned out to be the real criminal, and thanks to a heads-up Andy Taylor, the culprit was caught.

What was the actor's name who played that culprit? I'm going to go ahead and give a pretty good hint, because this might be more difficult, and again, this isn't trying to be super-tough.

The hint--can you handle the truth? This actor, who was young then, later played a starring role in many movies and films.

kingcat
04-24-2015, 06:58 PM
Jack Nicholson

(By the way...interestingly, the calender in Floyds Barber Shop is always on February)

Darrell KSR
04-24-2015, 09:30 PM
Jack Nicholson

(By the way...interestingly, the calender in Floyds Barber Shop is always on February)

Very good. Man, I'm glad you didn't ask that calendar trivia as a question. I never knew that!

Another freebie question -

Nathan Tibbs was somebody historically famous on the show as a Revolutionary war hero and one of his descendants was said to live in Mayberry. They were doing research to find the identity of the person to give him a plaque.

Who was the descendant so honored in the mayor's office?

kingcat
04-25-2015, 09:03 AM
Very unsure of who this was but I want to take a guess. It sounds a lot like something Aunt bee and Clara would wrestle over, so I'll guess Clara?

Darrell KSR
04-26-2015, 09:10 AM
Wasn't Clara. The Mayor and Barney were afraid the recipient would show up to receive his plaque somewhat toasty... Turned out to be one of his finest moments instead.

blueboss
04-26-2015, 09:57 AM
Otis

Darrell KSR
04-26-2015, 12:41 PM
Otis

You are quite correct. Otis gave a remarkable speech, showing up well dressed and being very humble. He said something like he couldn't take credit for just being born, and donated the plaque back to the city of Mayberry. It was one of those life moments that really made you feel for Otis, and yet another feel good Andy Griffith story.

Darrell KSR
04-26-2015, 03:00 PM
Another toss-up question (hey, I'll keep asking them, but feel free to chime in. You guys have seen the show, too!)

One show had a particular character singing "From the Halls of Montezuma" with a tin bucket on his head. What character was signing this, and what significance did this show have for future shows?

blueboss
04-26-2015, 06:25 PM
Now it's time for the Gomer answer

Darrell KSR
04-26-2015, 11:24 PM
It is Gomer Pyle. What was the significance of that episode?

Darrell KSR
04-27-2015, 02:40 PM
Question on the board is still, "what is the significance of the episode that saw Gomer Pyle singing, "From the Halls of Montezuma" with a bucket on his head?"

2nd Question and 3rd question..

Howard Sprague asked to go fishing with the guys once. He had never fished before, and was an absolute disaster--except he caught a huge old silver carp that had been frequenting the fishing hole for years around Mayberry, a legend in those parts. He was somewhat revered, and then reviled for ruining the legend when he donated it to the state museum.

2nd question: How did Howard regain his standing as a friend in the community; and

3rd question: What was the name of the silver carp?

blueboss
04-27-2015, 05:02 PM
I would guess it set up the Gomer Pyle show...

Darrell KSR
04-27-2015, 09:17 PM
I would guess it set up the Gomer Pyle show...

Yessir, Gomer Pyle, USMC was borne with that show. It had Sargeant Carter "welcoming" Gomer to the Marines, thanks in no small part to a crafty Andy Taylor, who convinced him Gomer was General Lucius Pyle's son, sorta under the radar.

Loved that episode.

blueboss
04-27-2015, 09:52 PM
Can't remember the name of the fish but didn't Howard let the fish go?

Darrell KSR
04-27-2015, 11:08 PM
You're right, Howard indeed took back the silver carp and returned it to the lake. Didn't tell anybody, just did it, and somebody thought they saw Ole _____ swimming, and he told them what he did. He was returned to the good graces of the Mayberry community with that act.

Now, what was that carp's name?

blueboss
04-28-2015, 07:01 AM
Ole Darrell?

Darrell KSR
04-28-2015, 09:39 AM
Old Sam is the correct answer...one of our members who hasn't logged on the boards in awhile answered it on twitter, kudos Bill Roland!

OK, here's a multi-part one for fun. I may not check back until tonight. I think these are three that most TAGS followers will know pretty well.

Old Barney was sort of a wild man at times. He had a regular girlfriend that was his steady, but he also had a sometimes date with a restaurant waitress.

a) Who was his steady girlfriend?

b) Who was his the restaurant waitress?

c) Where did she work?

Darrell KSR
04-29-2015, 10:15 PM
I'm watching TAGS now, and seeing Barney and his steady girl. I know this one isn't hard.

I know there are more Andy Griffith Show fans out there. Make yourself heard!

Darrell KSR
04-29-2015, 10:20 PM
I'm adding another question...

Barney got concerned when a new guy (Roger) was sent down to help them for awhile from the state Capitol. He thought Andy wanted to replace him with the more qualified guy, so he quit to go into "industry."

What did Barney do for a job when he quit the police force then?

blueboss
05-05-2015, 07:20 PM
Is that the one that called him Bernie??

Darrell KSR
05-07-2015, 08:42 AM
OK, I'm going to give some answers, and maybe spur some interest in it again. I'm apparently asking bad questions, as I know there are more TAGS fans out there!

Blueboss, the one that called Barney "Bernie," was not a regular girlfriend, or even the one on the side, but you identified a great one, one of the Mount Pilot "fun girls." I confess, I don't remember if "his" was Daphne or Skippy. I think Skippy. Daphne scared me--her "Hello, Doll" to Andy in that raspy voice made me think of some of the "gentlemen" entertainers in the New Orleans French Quarter lol.

a) Barney's steady girlfriend was Thelma Lou. I met her years ago, which was one of the highlights of my life, and received a hug from her. Many years ago in Birmingham at the Oak Mountain amphitheatre she appeared at a Mayberry Reunion. I did not attend, but the next morning she happened to attend my church, which is right down the road. A good friend of mine was a greeter that day, and knew I was a big TAGS fan. He saw her coming up in the parking lot, and shouted, "Thelma Lou!," of course, not knowing her real name of Betty Lynn. He told her there was somebody she had to meet, and introduced her. I blabbered on about how I used to watch the show 4 times a day while I was getting my masters degree, and how much the show helped me through the stress of the year. She was extremely nice, very cordial, and we chatted for a few minutes. Anyway, she's one of my favorites, as you can tell.

b) and c) Barney's "on the side" girlfriend was Juanita from the Mayberry Diner. He would call her when he and Thelma Lou were on the outs

The 2nd question I asked--

When Roger came down from the State Capitol, Barney felt like Andy wanted to replace him, but didn't have the heart--so Barney made it easy on him and quit (one of several times Barney quit the police force). When he did, he went into "industry," by selling vacuum cleaners door to door.

He was eventually arrested for selling without a license in violation of the "Green River Ordinance," which infuriated Barney so much that he rejoined the force, wanting to teach Roger that sheriffing involved more than just going "by the book."

I'll add another question later today. I hope people are at least reading it, and enjoying reliving some of the TAGS memories. I am enjoying typing and reliving them myself. I kid you not, I have had a smile on my face the entire time while I typed this post. I love that show.

Old Sam is the correct answer...one of our members who hasn't logged on the boards in awhile answered it on twitter, kudos Bill Roland!

OK, here's a multi-part one for fun. I may not check back until tonight. I think these are three that most TAGS followers will know pretty well.

Old Barney was sort of a wild man at times. He had a regular girlfriend that was his steady, but he also had a sometimes date with a restaurant waitress.

a) Who was his steady girlfriend?

b) Who was his the restaurant waitress?

c) Where did she work?

I'm adding another question...

Barney got concerned when a new guy (Roger) was sent down to help them for awhile from the state Capitol. He thought Andy wanted to replace him with the more qualified guy, so he quit to go into "industry."

What did Barney do for a job when he quit the police force then?

Is that the one that called him Bernie??

blueboss
05-07-2015, 07:28 PM
When Barney got the motorcycle to help cut down on speeders, what was name of the hill he set up his radar trap on?? He handed out tickets to the truck drivers that were always allowed to get going fast so they could make it up the "_" hill.

Hint~ I honestly can't remember the name of the hill so I hope someone else knows the answer.

Oh yeah, I now know where the Oak Mountain Amphitheater is, where you met Barney's girl ;)

kingcat
05-07-2015, 07:44 PM
Been hit or miss for a few days.

As penance allow me to brighten your day with some nostalgic humor compliments of the incomparable "Barn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBuPQgV8yBM

Darrell KSR
05-07-2015, 10:48 PM
Hope the area was to your liking. It is to mine ;).

I *almost* remember the name of the hill, but I think it was called ______ Grade. But I'm "almost" remembering, and not quite. Usually comes to me when I sleep on it. All I can think about right now is Check point Chicky, which is not the hill, but the speed trap he employed.

When Barney got the motorcycle to help cut down on speeders, what was name of the hill he set up his radar trap on?? He handed out tickets to the truck drivers that were always allowed to get going fast so they could make it up the "_" hill.

Hint~ I honestly can't remember the name of the hill so I hope someone else knows the answer.

Oh yeah, I now know where the Oak Mountain Amphitheater is, where you met Barney's girl ;)

Darrell KSR
05-07-2015, 10:49 PM
Love it. "We the?"

lol.

You done good.

Now answer blueboss' question, and create one and let me redeem myself.
Been hit or miss for a few days.

As penance allow me to brighten your day with some nostalgic humor compliments of the incomparable "Barn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBuPQgV8yBM

Darrell KSR
05-08-2015, 01:37 PM
Turner's Grade!

While I was writing War and Peace on the Premium Board on the Tom Brady thread, it came to me.

Darrell KSR
05-09-2015, 09:13 AM
Toss-up question for the board.

Aunt Bee briefly inherited a role in the town play when Clara, her good friend (and quite the accomplished actress) had to be out of town during rehearsals. Bless her heart, Bee was a disastrous choice, couldn't act, but was saved when Clara returned to town and took over the role, with Bee's blessing.

What was the role in the Mayberry town play the ladies performed?

blueboss
05-09-2015, 04:29 PM
Toss-up question for the board.

Aunt Bee briefly inherited a role in the town play when Clara, her good friend (and quite the accomplished actress) had to be out of town during rehearsals. Bless her heart, Bee was a disastrous choice, couldn't act, but was saved when Clara returned to town and took over the role, with Bee's blessing.

What was the role in the Mayberry town play the ladies performed?

Just a stab at it, but wasn't it Betsy Ross???

kingcat
05-09-2015, 07:56 PM
Miss Mayberry maybe??

Darrell KSR
05-10-2015, 08:24 AM
Miss Mayberry maybe??

Very good, think they called the role Lady Mayberry, but that's exactly the role. Good going!

That reminds me of another question, and I don't mind continuing to throw them out, but anyone feel free to do the same.

During a "Miss Mayberry" Contest one year, Andy was chosen to be the Judge. Ellie Walker, his girlfriend, was in the contest because Aunt Bee put her in, against her wishes. It was a typical hysterically funny show, with everybody touting their candidate, even down to Andy's son, Opie and his girlfriend, the Mayor's daughters, etc. Meanwhile, Ellie said if Andy selected her, she would never speak to him again.

In the end, Andy made the right choice, the clear choice, and really the only choice, selecting someone for her "inner beauty."

Who was that Miss Mayberry?

Bonus question - there was a song written for the occasion.

"Hail to thee, Miss Mayberry, O Hail to thee, O Hail.
Your loveliness, Your majesty, brings joy to every male."

The songwriter asked Andy if he could be the one to sing it, and Andy said he'd punch anyone in the mouth who tried other than him.

Who was the songwriter?

badrose
05-10-2015, 09:46 AM
That was Floyd, wasn't it? "Oh hail oh hail, oh hail oh hail" twice.

Darrell KSR
05-10-2015, 10:20 AM
That was Floyd, wasn't it? "Oh hail oh hail, oh hail oh hail" twice.

Yessir! Well done!

kingcat
05-10-2015, 11:48 AM
I couldn't recall much of that episode.

I do recall another of Mayberry's fine ladies. Two really, and they were the Morrison sisters.

Their kindness and charity was clear How did they contribute to our little town?

Darrell KSR
05-10-2015, 02:24 PM
Love the hint, Kingcat--I know the answer, but will let others guess/solve.

Still looking for who was awarded the crown of "Miss Mayberry" by Andy when he was in his predicament. I can still see his sly grin as the thought came to him after he received the gown from the lady who made it and worked so selflessly for the pageant, Miss Emma Bishop.

blueboss
05-10-2015, 08:42 PM
Didn't the Morrison sisters run the local moonshine business

kingcat
05-10-2015, 09:52 PM
Yep, they sure did Boss. Even had Andy fooled which was hard to do.

badrose
05-12-2015, 07:30 AM
How did Gomer "know" there were spiders under the band stand?

Darrell KSR
05-14-2015, 12:40 PM
The correct answer here is, "Miss Emma Bishop."

She worked tirelessly and selflessly for the Pageant with no expectations of reward, and Andy awarded her the title without even entering.

Love the hint, Kingcat--I know the answer, but will let others guess/solve.

Still looking for who was awarded the crown of "Miss Mayberry" by Andy when he was in his predicament. I can still see his sly grin as the thought came to him after he received the gown from the lady who made it and worked so selflessly for the pageant, Miss Emma Bishop.

Darrell KSR
05-14-2015, 12:40 PM
How did Gomer "know" there were spiders under the band stand?

Cause if he was a spider, that's where he would live?

Darrell KSR
05-14-2015, 12:43 PM
Not sure if I have badrose's question right, but even if not, we can throw out another TAGS trivia question--

Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale,
A tale of a fateful trip
That started from this tropic port
Aboard this tiny ship.

That beginning to a popular theme song belonged to another sitcom that didn't run all that long, Gilligan's Island. What actor(s) from Gilligan's Island made an appearance on TAGS?

badrose
05-14-2015, 12:55 PM
You were corretc and Bob Denver is the answer to yours.

badrose
05-14-2015, 12:59 PM
What did Barnie do only to get heartache?

Darrell KSR
05-14-2015, 09:11 PM
Not sure if I have badrose's question right, but even if not, we can throw out another TAGS trivia question--

Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale,
A tale of a fateful trip
That started from this tropic port
Aboard this tiny ship.

That beginning to a popular theme song belonged to another sitcom that didn't run all that long, Gilligan's Island. What actor(s) from Gilligan's Island made an appearance on TAGS?

You were corretc and Bob Denver is the answer to yours.

Ahh, but I had a trick question there. Bob Denver is "a" correct answer. Alan Hale is "another" correct answer. Denver played Charlene Darling's love interest/husband, and Alan Hale (the "Skipper") played Jeff Pruitt, a farmer who came down from the mountains looking for a bride. It was hysterically funny (as many of the shows are, of course), watching big strapping farmer Pruitt pick up women as they walk down the street. During the show (which was before Gilligan's Island), he even called Barney, "Little Buddy," which is what The Skipper called Gilligan on that show, of course.

What did Barnie do only to get heartache?

I'm drawing a blank. But I can picture him in his suit saying, "what do I get for it? Heartache!" Honest to goodness, I don't remember what it was, though. Great question.

badrose
05-14-2015, 10:17 PM
Ahh, but I had a trick question there. Bob Denver is "a" correct answer. Alan Hale is "another" correct answer. Denver played Charlene Darling's love interest/husband, and Alan Hale (the "Skipper") played Jeff Pruitt, a farmer who came down from the mountains looking for a bride. It was hysterically funny (as many of the shows are, of course), watching big strapping farmer Pruitt pick up women as they walk down the street. During the show (which was before Gilligan's Island), he even called Barney, "Little Buddy," which is what The Skipper called Gilligan on that show, of course.

I'm drawing a blank. But I can picture him in his suit saying, "what do I get for it? Heartache!" Honest to goodness, I don't remember what it was, though. Great question.

You're warm. Just top it off.

kingcat
05-14-2015, 10:20 PM

Me too.

Darrell KSR
05-15-2015, 01:19 PM
If I'm warm, it's accidental, because I don't know. It's a great question, though.

badrose
05-15-2015, 03:55 PM
Had his suit dry cleaned (that's one). The other was hinted in my last post.

Darrell KSR
05-15-2015, 08:56 PM
Had his suit dry cleaned and his hat pressed? Or something like that with his hat?

You know, in real life, Don Knotts was reputed to be quite the ladies' man in between his marriages, or maybe a little overlapped :).

This rings a bell a little. I love the question.

badrose
05-15-2015, 09:39 PM
I think it was a class reunion and an old flame coming back to town but things didn't go as he expected. That's about all I can remember. The line stood out.

Darrell KSR
05-16-2015, 11:18 AM
Just top it off....top it off. I don't know. "To top it all off, _______". Nope. On top of the world? Top of the morning? Top of the mountain?

lol. I'm just WAG territory here. But loving thinking about TAGS. I'll throw out another trivia question in the meantime--

In one episode, the lovable town drunk, Otis, was expecting a visit from his respectable brother. Unfortunately, Otis had been writing letters to his brother on and off, and sorta misrepresented his occupation. What occupation did he "fake" when his brother rolled into town?

badrose
05-16-2015, 05:19 PM
Deputy.

Darrell KSR
05-18-2015, 09:31 AM
Deputy.

Correctamundo! Andy and Barney were good sports, giving Otis a uniform while his brother and wife were in town, and allowing Otis to pretend to occupy that position. Turned out, Otis' respectable brother was his own town's drunk, and he found some alcohol in town somewhere when he disappeared, went on a bender, came to the jail, and arrested himself--just like he did in his own town.

Will post another question in a minute.

Darrell KSR
05-18-2015, 09:37 AM
Next question. Let's stay in the area of "pretend."

One character on the show was involved in a letter writing campaign with a potential love interest. The potential love interest sort of unexpectedly arrived in Mayberry by sending a letter saying they were coming. The Mayberry character went to Andy for help, and he allowed this character to pretend to be a rich retired person living in the biggest house in Mayberry--a house that Andy knew was temporarily vacant while the owners were on vacation, because he was looking after the house for them while they were away.

Who was the Mayberry character?

What role did Andy play in the fiction when the potential love interest arrived and met the character (and Andy?)

Was the fiction ever discovered by the potential love interest, and if so, how?

badrose
05-18-2015, 06:12 PM
You got me on this one. Does not ring a bell.

Darrell KSR
05-18-2015, 08:42 PM
I would let it sit a little longer, but not sure that I'll be looking tomorrow here, between my son's "graduation" and the SEC tournament, so I'll spill the beans.

The character was Floyd. He had been writing to a Lonely Hearts Club to a "rich widow" that turned out to be a con artist. She arrived in a convertible, and was just going to stay a day, but managed to invite herself for a week or two, which is when Floyd knew he had to spill the beans.

In the meantime, Andy was there in civilian clothes, and pretended to be Floyd's son. Aunt Bee was there as well, and she pretended (not very well) to be a maid. Had some funny moments where "the help" sat down next to the rich widow, like she was family, rather than "help," etc. Oh and Opie made an appearance, calling Andy "Pa," like he generally did, and the widow wanted to know why he called Andy "Pa." Andy said it wasn't "Pa," but "Paul," as that was his given name, Andy Paul (or Paul Andrew, I don't remember which one. Hey, wouldn't it have been cool if it had been Paul Andrews?)

Anyway, Floyd, who was enamored with her, couldn't bring himself to tell her that he was a fraud, so he asked Andy to do it.

Andy sat her down and told her that there was a time for plain talk and plain facts. He told her that he was the Sheriff. She started laughing, and asked what gave her away, not realizing that he was confessing about Floyd. She said that it might've been that he learned it was a rental car she was in, and not a car she owned. She said she was only going to take Floyd for a few hundred, and how did he know she wasn't going to pay it back? In the end, she said he didn't really have any proof that she was really going to con Floyd, and he admitted that he didn't, and let her go.

As she left, old Floyd asked how she took the news that he was a fraud, saying he couldn't bear to break her heart. Andy tried to tell him that she was the con artist, but Floyd kept on, and Andy realized that Floyd was better not knowing, so he kept that secret to himself--like he did many times on TAGS.

Just a good old show. I saw this one fairly recently, and thought it was a good one.

Darrell KSR
05-18-2015, 08:48 PM
I'll ask another one. If someone answers, ask your own question, or I'll be back to ask another one. As long as there's some interest, we'll keep the thread going.

(And don't ever hold me to exact facts. I think I remember pretty close, but this is for enjoyment of the show, not some trivia contest. We're all just enjoying remembering the show, the characters, the writing, and the time.)

Here's the next question.

There was a fairly rare crime spree in Mayberry, where cattle was being stolen. The Mayor (the slick Mayor Stoner) thought his hick police force needed help, so they brought a man in from the state capitol, who used newfangled crime techniques like making a plaster cast of the boot prints to try to identify the suspects. (Led to one of the funny Barney moments where he doesn't have a great command of vocabulary when he did not know what a "moulage" was.)

Anyway, the expert from the capitol thought that there were 3 men involved in the cattle rustling because there were 3 sets of prints. Andy didn't buy the scientific evidence (which even showed how much somebody weighed), and thought only one person was involved.

Question: How many people were involved, 1 or 3? And how was the culprit(s) apprehended?

badrose
05-19-2015, 09:05 AM
I use the "I didn't want to make a big moulage out of it" thing all the time. Most don't get it.

One, using four shoes on the cows, but the bull at the end didn't take too kind to that.

Darrell KSR
05-20-2015, 08:27 PM
I use the "I didn't want to make a big moulage out of it" thing all the time. Most don't get it.

One, using four shoes on the cows, but the bull at the end didn't take too kind to that.

Correct! And love the use of the phrase.

Next question....

We've already talked about a love interest at the Mayberry diner, Juanita. There was another waitress that initially set her eyes on Andy, but eventually she and Goober became an item.

Who was the waitress? And what other job did she do in Mayberry that caused a little disruption?

Darrell KSR
05-22-2015, 01:15 PM
Bad question, as it came from the color versions, which was not as popular. I think I'll try to stick to the first 5 seasons, which were the ones with Don Knotts, anyway.

In any event, here's a hint--a pic of the waitress with Andy Taylor at the diner. Does this ring a bell?

Correct! And love the use of the phrase.

Next question....

We've already talked about a love interest at the Mayberry diner, Juanita. There was another waitress that initially set her eyes on Andy, but eventually she and Goober became an item.

Who was the waitress? And what other job did she do in Mayberry that caused a little disruption?

Darrell KSR
05-27-2015, 01:57 PM
OK, that's long enough--the answer is.....

"Flora."

Goober had eyes for Flora, and Flora had eyes for Andy. But eventually she saw the good in Goober and they ended up becoming boyfriend-girlfriend later. In fact, when Goober went on vacation from the filling station in a subsequent show, Flora filled in for him pumping gas. Those old dogs in Mayberry went hog wild over Flora pumping gas and washing their windows, and business boomed at the station.

I'll throw out another question and let it sit. I may just entertain myself but hopefully some are enjoying reliving these moments.

Bad question, as it came from the color versions, which was not as popular. I think I'll try to stick to the first 5 seasons, which were the ones with Don Knotts, anyway.

In any event, here's a hint--a pic of the waitress with Andy Taylor at the diner. Does this ring a bell?

Darrell KSR
05-27-2015, 02:01 PM
Next question --

Weapons were constantly part of TAGS, but rarely was one ever used to truly injure someone or something. Can't count how many times a weapon was used when nothing happened, whether it was Barney and Andy being shot at, or them shooting at somebody else.

This is an open ended trivia question--name an occasion when a weapon was used, when some damage was done to someone or something, and how it happened. I know I can't remember all of them, but I can remember several. I have a couple of ones that I think are sorta "hidden," too, that I have in mind I hope somebody gets.

Who used a weapon, and what/who did it injure/damage when the weapon was so used?

Open for answers.

kingcat
05-27-2015, 07:02 PM
Hope I did all the right things..

I recall Opie's "Design by Barney" slingshot and his substitute nurturing of some motherless babies.

Darrell KSR
05-27-2015, 08:47 PM

I recall Opie's "Design by Barney" slingshot and his substitute nurturing of some motherless babies.

Excellent! That was one of the hidden ones, great memory. Winkin, Blinkin, and Nod were the baby birds Opie raised.

My favorite memory of that one was Barney explaining the birds talking to each other. Opie asks Andy something about how they will know, and Andy says, "Winkin will tell Blinkin, Blinkin will tell Nod, Nod will tell Barney, and Barney will tell you."

Darrell KSR
05-31-2015, 09:51 PM
Going to give a few more, as this open-ended question began with a bang (so to speak), as Kingcat got the Queen bee of answers, but there were a few more that I thought of. And I'm sure there are more.

* Andy didn't often use a gun. But he shot a robber named Luke Comstock and rendered him "game." He ended up being thankful for it, and returned to Mayberry after serving a stint in prison, and then getting out and learning a trade before opening a chain of electronic stores. I'm butchering the fine details on this one, but it's something like this.

* Andy also borrowed Warren's gun once when someone was escaping, and he shot the car tire, giving it a flat and having it lose control.

* At first I was thinking that Gomer had an incident with a rifle, but he just dropped it off the top of the jail when they were expecting a breakout. He dropped a bunch of Christmas lights when they started to get away, and the popping noise must've sounded like gunfire, so they stopped and threw their hands up, thinking it was a machine gun. But that wasn't a weapon, unless you want to call Christmas lights a weapon.

There were probably more, but Kingcat got the big one. Kudos to him. I'll think of another question and ask it and hopefully get a good one.

Next question --

Weapons were constantly part of TAGS, but rarely was one ever used to truly injure someone or something. Can't count how many times a weapon was used when nothing happened, whether it was Barney and Andy being shot at, or them shooting at somebody else.

This is an open ended trivia question--name an occasion when a weapon was used, when some damage was done to someone or something, and how it happened. I know I can't remember all of them, but I can remember several. I have a couple of ones that I think are sorta "hidden," too, that I have in mind I hope somebody gets.

Who used a weapon, and what/who did it injure/damage when the weapon was so used?

Open for answers.

Darrell KSR
05-31-2015, 09:53 PM
How about this one. A machine gun was REALLY used once (although not fired) by Barney Fife in protection of something coming through Mayberry.

What in the world would be coming through Mayberry that would cause Barney to need a machine gun, anyway?

kingcat
05-31-2015, 10:13 PM
I can't believe I don't recall that episode Darrell. Barney with a machine gun should stand out.

badrose
06-01-2015, 07:59 AM
An armored car full of gold or money...? As I recall it was a decoy and Barney got trapped in it.

Darrell KSR
06-01-2015, 08:26 AM
Badrose with the good memory!

An armored car full of $7 million (in those dollars) worth of gold. The truck was supposed to stop at the filling station to gas up, then Barney was going to switch places with the G-men to give them a break. They tossed him the machine gun--which he dropped--and they eventually made a clumsy exchange.

It had several humorous moments. Gomer couldn't figure out where the gas tank was, so he started pouring gas in through a gun port, splashing Barney with gasoline as he was inside with the "gold." Barney couldn't help himself, so he peeked under the covers where the gold was supposed to be--discovered it was sand, and not gold, and starting yelling for help. When they saw Barney was going to blow their cover, they kidnapped him and Andy had to track them down in the squad car.

Andy had to stop Barney from trying to shoot at the armored car, and when Andy explained it was all a decoy, Gomer issued his famous, "Shazam." Andy repeated it with a half-hearted "Shazam" in return.

An armored car full of gold or money...? As I recall it was a decoy and Barney got trapped in it.

badrose
06-01-2015, 10:09 AM
What animal did Barney deem "selfish?"

Darrell KSR
06-02-2015, 02:49 PM
Looking out for # 1, running around getting hit by lightning--perhaps the best TAGS episode ever.

Giraffes! Those selfish beasts, not anything at all like dogs, who look out for one another. Even the trembly one ;).

Thanks for that great question--what a tremendous episode. You brought a smile to my face just thinking of that one. Dogs, dogs, dogs!

What animal did Barney deem "selfish?"

Darrell KSR
06-02-2015, 02:50 PM
I'll follow your lead, badrose, and ask an animal question.

On one occasion, an animal presented an explosive situation down at the jail. What animal was it, and why was the episode so explosive?

badrose
06-02-2015, 08:22 PM
Either a cow or a goat ate some dynamite. I don't remember much detail other than that.

Darrell KSR
06-02-2015, 09:57 PM
Either a cow or a goat ate some dynamite. I don't remember much detail other than that.

Funny show. It was a loaded goat, and I don't mean Otis. Otis came in with the goat locked away in the jail. They had placed the cot mattress on the wall to keep the goat from hitting something hard. When Otis came in, he tried to get "on" the bed, and kept falling on the ground because the mattress was on the wall. He thought he was falling onto the wall.

Also funny moment when Otis first met the loaded goat. Otis was sloshed, and thought the goal was his Uncle (Ned?)

Funny stuff if you don't take it too real.

Darrell KSR
06-03-2015, 07:29 AM
Here's another animal question.

Barney found a mutt in one episode that he was convinced he could train to track down criminals. In fact, a criminal escaped from prison, and Barney insisted on using the dog to help in the search.

Turned out, the mutt actually helped capture the crook.

How did he capture the crook, and what was the mutt's name?

Darrell KSR
06-06-2015, 10:20 AM
It's summertime, and we're slow and easy. I know there are some TAGS fans out there that know that answer. Plus I think this answer is kinda neat for Kentucky Wildcat fans, in a way.

I'd throw it out on twitter, but somebody would answer it not here, and rather have it answered here!

badrose
06-06-2015, 06:12 PM
I don't recall but I could watch it on Netflix.

Darrell KSR
06-07-2015, 08:37 PM
Ok, I could continue to torture you, or go ahead and give it up.

The dog's name was "Blue," and he was loveable, but pretty useless. On the other hand, he did not like the silent dog whistle that Barney used to train him, and he would growl and attack whoever blew the whistle. In fact, knowing that, Andy managed to capture the criminal when he told the criminal to blow the whistle real hard so the dog would come. He knocked over the criminal and they captured him when he had the drop on them otherwise.

I have another animal question that I'll add later.

Darrell KSR
06-08-2015, 08:58 AM
The same dog (I ran across this accidentally; I did not know this) played in 3 other episodes of TAGS show.

In one episode--a color version, which isn't as popular and I realize not as many saw them--Goober became convinced his pet--this dog--could do something that was going to make Goober famous and wealthy.

What did Goober believe the dog could do?

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/mayberry/images/9/94/AMansBestFriend.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20110109053509

badrose
06-18-2015, 08:03 AM
OK, a 2-parter

Ernest T Bass had some preconceived ideas about Army life. He spoke of three activities twice. What were they?

What plans did he have for his teeth?

Darrell KSR
06-18-2015, 12:59 PM
I am drawing a blank on the first one. I know he loved their u-knee-form. And felt like it would attract girls, including his sweet Rowena.

I think I know the 2nd one--he planned on getting a gold tooth, and then knocking out teeth on either side to make it stand out. At least, that's what he planned once--you may have something else in mind.

That's what I love about the show. You have all kind of neat little tidbits like this.

Great, great questions.

By the way, my colorized episode question was that Goober thought the dog could talk. Was going to make him famous. One of Opie's friends pulled a trick on him by hiding a small walkie talkie under the dog's collar, and lurking just out of Goober's easy eyesight, engaged in conversation with him. Not nearly as good of a question, and I'm basically going to stick to the good black and white episodes for any future questions I ask (mostly, at least), as those were, by far, the better episodes.

OK, a 2-parter

Ernest T Bass had some preconceived ideas about Army life. He spoke of three activities twice. What were they?

blueboss
07-02-2015, 12:48 AM
https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/1908097_438004973068032_3784870659401517090_n.jpg? oh=cfe32bbf7a033418ab3ddec735cd56bc&oe=561BA842

Darrell KSR
07-06-2015, 10:57 AM
LOL....that is great.
https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/1908097_438004973068032_3784870659401517090_n.jpg? oh=cfe32bbf7a033418ab3ddec735cd56bc&oe=561BA842

Darrell KSR
07-06-2015, 10:58 AM
Saw this episode just a couple of days ago. Just as good the 9th time around ;).
Ok, I could continue to torture you, or go ahead and give it up.

The dog's name was "Blue," and he was loveable, but pretty useless. On the other hand, he did not like the silent dog whistle that Barney used to train him, and he would growl and attack whoever blew the whistle. In fact, knowing that, Andy managed to capture the criminal when he told the criminal to blow the whistle real hard so the dog would come. He knocked over the criminal and they captured him when he had the drop on them otherwise.

I have another animal question that I'll add later.

Darrell KSR
07-06-2015, 11:08 AM
While badrose's questions are still waiting to be fully answered, I thought I'd ask another one to keep the thread hopping.

Aunt Bee was a well-renowned cook. She was terrific, and many episodes involved some area of the cooking. But she couldn't cook everything. In fact, she was a miserable failure at one particular product.

What did she try to fix that she just couldn't do, no matter how hard she tried? And for the 2nd part to the question, what did Andy and Barney do to try to cover it up?

OK, a 2-parter

I am drawing a blank on the first one. I know he loved their u-knee-form. And felt like it would attract girls, including his sweet Rowena.

I think I know the 2nd one--he planned on getting a gold tooth, and then knocking out teeth on either side to make it stand out. At least, that's what he planned once--you may have something else in mind.

That's what I love about the show. You have all kind of neat little tidbits like this.

Great, great questions.

By the way, my colorized episode question was that Goober thought the dog could talk. Was going to make him famous. One of Opie's friends pulled a trick on him by hiding a small walkie talkie under the dog's collar, and lurking just out of Goober's easy eyesight, engaged in conversation with him. Not nearly as good of a question, and I'm basically going to stick to the good black and white episodes for any future questions I ask (mostly, at least), as those were, by far, the better episodes.

badrose
07-07-2015, 08:59 PM
Pickles. IIRC they got some store bought pickles and put them in her jars which ended up winning the contest so she made another huge batch (tasted like turpentine ???)

"Hup, two, three, four, clean your gun, jump on the truck!"

I think I know the 2nd one--he planned on getting a gold tooth, and then knocking out teeth on either side to make it stand out. Especially when he's daincin'. :sign0141:

Darrell KSR
07-08-2015, 09:28 AM
Pickles. IIRC they got some store bought pickles and put them in her jars which ended up winning the contest so she made another huge batch (tasted like turpentine ???)

"Hup, two, three, four, clean your gun, jump on the truck!"

I think I know the 2nd one--he planned on getting a gold tooth, and then knocking out teeth on either side to make it stand out. Especially when he's daincin'. :sign0141:

Great questions! And right about the pickles.

Andy and Barney gave away her pickles, packed in a suitcase, and replaced them with store bought pickles. To keep her from entering the pickles in the contest, they had to eat them all. When they did, she made a double batch. The judges thought they were kerosene soaked, they were so bad.

Darrell KSR
07-08-2015, 09:33 AM
New question.

What dessert did Thelma Lou make that Barney liked so much? They used to eat a pan of it while watching that doctor show on tv.

Side note. Was watching it last night (Opie found $50 episode) and there was a reference to a girl Barney took out a couple of times, named Phoebe. I never remembered seeing that before. It was before Thelma Lou, according to Barney. Wasn't going to ask that obscure of a question, but thought others might be interested as well.

CGWildcat
07-13-2015, 11:06 AM
Is it true that when Andy's pants cuff was semi-tucked into one boot, it was a signal to the locals that his weed crop and 'shine were ready for distribution and sales?

Darrell KSR
07-22-2015, 10:17 AM
New question.

What dessert did Thelma Lou make that Barney liked so much? They used to eat a pan of it while watching that doctor show on tv.

Side note. Was watching it last night (Opie found $50 episode) and there was a reference to a girl Barney took out a couple of times, named Phoebe. I never remembered seeing that before. It was before Thelma Lou, according to Barney. Wasn't going to ask that obscure of a question, but thought others might be interested as well.

.....the answer is....

Cashew fudge.

She would make a pan of that cashew fudge and they'd watch that doctor show on TV. Thelma Lou stood him up one night and went out with Gomer to a movie because Barney was taking her for granted.

Darrell KSR
07-31-2015, 01:02 PM
OK, I'm going to ask another one and put another TAGS trivia question on the table.

Aunt Nora and Uncle Ollie, and their two boys come to visit. Aunt Nora is Aunt Bee's sister, and Uncle Ollie bragged that he taught Andy how to shoot a gun. They drive Andy crazy while they are there, and when two escaped convicts come over the radio, Ollie brags that they would take care of them if they came there. Andy first tells him that they aren't likely to come that direction, based on what they normally do, but then figures out that he could probably scare Oliie back home.

Andy tells Ollie, "Good news--they're headed this way. I'm going to pick up an extra rifle, and swing by the house and pick you up and we can go hunt them down." (That's not a quote, just a paraphrase). Andy gives them a few minutes, and Ollie meanwhile scrambles the family, packs up and heads back home.

Where is home?

Preferably both the city and state, but I'm good with the state. A very good friend of mine lives there.