PDA

View Full Version : Alright were gonna settle this once and for all...which was better

ColonelSteve
10-26-2012, 09:05 PM
The Peter Gabriel era of Genesis...or the Phil Collins era...honestly...they both were awesome...you cant compare the two...but everyone insists on arguing about it so were gonna have it...personally I think the band died when Steve Hackett left in 77...but whatever...you cant compare Suppers Ready to Land of Confusion...they both were great in its own right...

dethbylt
10-29-2012, 12:37 AM
The early Phil Collins era wins in my mind, hands down. Trick of the Tail in 76 to Genesis in 83 are constantly on my ipod. I always like the earlier albums and the latter "enough" to listen and enjoy, but the 76-83 albums are my favorites. "Dance on a Volcano" shows the increasing influence of Phil Collins as a song writer, and the growing complexity of their songs. "Home By the Sea 1 & 2" is awesome as well. Great exercise music.

After 1983, they took on a more pop-like sound is less to my liking but its OK - maybe on par with the Gabriel era music.

FWIW, Gabriel's single releases are great too.

MickintheHam
10-31-2012, 12:31 PM
If I never heard Phil Collins sing another song, it would be bliss.

ColonelSteve
10-31-2012, 05:35 PM
The early Phil Collins era wins in my mind, hands down. Trick of the Tail in 76 to Genesis in 83 are constantly on my ipod. I always like the earlier albums and the latter "enough" to listen and enjoy, but the 76-83 albums are my favorites. "Dance on a Volcano" shows the increasing influence of Phil Collins as a song writer, and the growing complexity of their songs. "Home By the Sea 1 & 2" is awesome as well. Great exercise music.

After 1983, they took on a more pop-like sound is less to my liking but its OK - maybe on par with the Gabriel era music.

FWIW, Gabriel's single releases are great too.

I was actually pretty drunk when I posted this thread...but it started on another forum I go to where I was listening to Ripples and posted it as one of the best that Phil Collins ever did...and it just turned into a HUGE debate from there...and I know on every Genesis video on Youtube this debate takes place...but Im more of a fan of the 73-80 period except And Then There Were 3...but I forgive that because it was understandable with Steve Hackett bailing on them at the last minute...but I agree with you, that era was pretty good...I say I dont like Abacab and the Mama album but whenever I listen to it Im surprised at how many songs I actually like lol

BTW if you ever get a couple hours spare time you should check this out...there are a ton of bootlegs of Genesis on Youtube but this is probably the best...its from the short Three Sides Live and this one is from a warm up show in London a couple days before the only Peter Gabriel reunion and actually starts with Dance on a Volcano which was the perfect way to start the PC era IMO...but the venue only seated 800 people so the sound is amazing as is the set list

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlHAl1V2sB4

ColonelSteve
10-31-2012, 05:36 PM
If I never heard Phil Collins sing another song, it would be bliss.

How can you not at least like In the Air Tonight and Take Me Home...those two were amazing...and say what you will about his solo crap, Genesis was unreal

Rainman
11-09-2012, 05:56 PM
I think the Babriel era Foxtrot was their best effort. I bought two copies on vinyl over time because I has literally played Watcher of the Skies until it it worn down.

MickintheHam
11-09-2012, 07:08 PM
How can you not at least like In the Air Tonight and Take Me Home...those two were amazing...and say what you will about his solo crap, Genesis was unreal

It's not hard.

KSRBEvans
11-11-2012, 12:27 AM
I know it's cooler to like the Gabriel-era Genesis, but I have to admit, I have 14 Genesis songs on my iPod and they're all from the Collins-era Genesis: the Duke album, and 1 song each from Abacab and the '84 self-titled album.