PDA

View Full Version : Kids, why can't you "return" them!

Doc
04-02-2015, 10:31 PM
I sure as hell would!

So a year ago I put in for a pair of final four tickets, figured it would be a nice father/son trip if UK made it. We had a great time in 2012 going to NOLA when my son was 13 and now that he is 16 we only have a few more years to make memories, right? So we've known about this for months. The plan was to leave by car this afternoon after school, he would have to miss a day of school as they are off on Friday and Monday (those damn gentile holidays). Its only a 700 mile drive to Lexington where we would stay with my sister in law on Friday/Sat then head to Indy for the game, return then head back to Indy on Monday then drive all Monday night and Tues for the 1050 mile return to Florida. No biggie for 2 drivers who are "father son"....

UNTIL....3 calls from teachers yesterday and today. Seems son hasn't been doing his school work. Seems that English, Trig and Biology are not very interesting to him and he hasn't been doing his homework, or if he is doing it he hasn't been turning it in. So now the dilemma. Surely I can't drive all that way solo. First off, I'm an ironman but not that big an ironman to drive like that. Plus its cheaper to fly. So I booked frequent flier into Lexington this morning and am having my sister in law pick me up at the airport (and arranged travel to Indy---thanks to Mr Mick). Then had a knock out drag out with my son this afternoon to inform his he wasn't going. Offered his ticket to my sister in law, her husband, Mick and anybody in his family...all to no avail. But after much consternation and counsil, my wife and myself acquiesced at 11:15 this evening and are allowing him (my son) to go. Of course now when I booked his flight the second leg of the trip (from CLT to LEX) is sold out so my son is going Palm Beach to CLT to CHI to LEX and arrives 5 hrs after me.

Not sure if its the right thing or not. I recall as a youth getting my ass grounded more than once and my father holding firm. Maybe this approach will work, maybe it won't. Hard to make him miss something that could be as historic as 40-0.

BigBluePappy
04-03-2015, 02:20 AM
Tough call, Doc.
FWIW, if I had done that when I was his age, Dad would have left my happy a** at home with a stern "you did this to yourself and to me."
I on the other hand would probably have relented as well; there is still a lot of summer left to do your parental thing.
Hang in there, noone said parenting was for the weak of heart...

blueboss
04-21-2015, 08:59 PM
The problem with kids today is you can't make them go work on a tobacco farm during the summer. Cutting tobacco will flat out straighten your a&& up, all it takes is the first year, and then you can hang it over their head the rest of the year/their lives...if you don't straighten your shi!t up you're cutting tobacco next summer!!!

My 28 year old daughter stayed with us last year while finishing up her bachelors and prior to getting married, I went out and shoveled after one of the big snows, I did the sidewalks, driveway, and a path all around her car, scrapped all of her windows head lights and side mirrors, ...she left, came back in and asked why I didn't brush the snow off of her roof, I swear, if it had not almost killed me shoveling it, I would have went out and shoveled it all back.

My wife (Mrs. boss) who's not her mother, God bless her, said..."did you spoil her when she was younger, or something?"

Darrell KSR
04-22-2015, 08:45 AM
Lol. I didn't know my daughter spent part of her time with your family, too.

MickintheHam
04-23-2015, 09:10 PM
Blueboss there may be hope. Similar daughter 26 years old.

A couple of weeks ago I noticed my garbage can was missing. It had been out on the curb earlier and I last noticed it when I waved goodbye to my daughter after dinner. I went out and walked the length of the cul du sac, thinking maybe it rolled in the wind or someone had moved it by mistake. i called my daughter to see if she noticed anyone in the neighborhood when she drove off. I explained the problem. "Oh Daddy I knew you were tired after fixing dinner so I took it down the driveway and put it away for you." This girl never in her life took out the garbage, much less retrieved the can. I was stunned.

And blueboss I have worked with tobacco from setting plants from the back of the tractor, to cutting tobacco, to hanging it in the barn, to hanging trays at Brown and Williamson and cleaning the air ducts in the Kool Menthol section. It teaches a lot of character and discipline.

CitizenBBN
04-23-2015, 11:02 PM
I'm with boss on the farming angle. I know a ton of kids growing up who needed a good year on a farm to straighten up their attitudes and appreciation. I spent just enough time in tobacco to realize I didn't want to work in tobacco for a career and had better hit the books.

Doc
04-27-2015, 01:56 PM
Funny thing is we just checked his grades, now he is back on the honor roll. I just don't get the kid.

MickintheHam
04-29-2015, 03:32 AM
Funny thing is we just checked his grades, now he is back on the honor roll. I just don't get the kid.

Teachers and administration are also part of the problem. If you had to put up with some of them everyday, your performance would be pretty inconsistent, too.

Darrell KSR
04-29-2015, 08:03 AM
Teachers and administration are also part of the problem. If you had to put up with some of them everyday, your performance would be pretty inconsistent, too.

Boy, is it.

KeithKSR
05-05-2015, 10:27 PM
My daughter's nightmare punishment would be riding a thousand miles with me after getting bad grades for not turning in assignments. She had the same problem this school year (she is a junior) and she dreaded riding with me for the short trek to and from school each day.