PDA

View Full Version : Range time with my daughter.........

suncat05
04-01-2015, 10:44 AM
Well, we finally managed to find some family range time on our third attempt. She had five days off in a row, so she drove home from Gainesville.
She finally had the opportunity to put some rounds down range with her Ruger LC9. She, her Mother and I participated. Between the three of us we put 150 rounds of 9mm 115 grain hardball into a bunch of improvised targets.
She likes the gun, although because it has such a short sight radius she was just slightly off target, as was Mom too, initially, but not by very much. New gun to her, first rounds through it, not familiar with the action or the trigger pull, but as we continued on they both improved quite a bit.
I shot the gun myself a couple of times, and I really, really like it. It is very compact, lightweight, accurate, and shoots very smoothly. I found the trigger action to be very smooth with crisp, clean break. Now, both of the girls stated to me that the trigger pull was a bit long for both of them. But overall, they were both pleased with the gun and their experience with it.
I like it so much that I am seriously considering getting one for myself for off duty carry. The magazine holds 7 rounds, put one in the chamber and you have 8 rounds of 9mm in hand, and with two more magazines containing 7 rounds, you have 22 rounds of 9mm available for that "Oh No!" moment that hopefully never comes.

Now, there is one odd thing that I noticed afterwards as I policed up the spent brass for reloading, and at this point I don't know if it's a problem with the ammunition (Georgia Arms) or if this has something to do with the gun. Most of the brass has a slight oval shape now where the bullet was prior to firing. When I bought this ammunition it was advertised as "reloaded with once fired brass". I'm thinking it's probably an issue with the brass since it's reloaded. The next time we shoot the gun I will use factory loads and check the casings afterwards for any deformities.

Darrell KSR
04-01-2015, 12:44 PM
Suncat, they may like the Ruger LC9s instead. It's a striker-fired version, with a shorter, lighter, crisper trigger pull.

Here's a nice comparison of the two:
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/11/jeremy-s/gun-comparison-ruger-lc9-vs-lc9s/

I don't know that I "need" another weapon, but I would "like" to have a compact 9mm. I've been looking at the LC9s (or the LC9s Pro, which does not have an external safety), the SCCY CPX-2, and the Glock 43 (just recently). (Edit--also the S&W shield).

suncat05
04-01-2015, 01:25 PM
Yes Darrell, I think I remember us talking about this previously.

suncat05
04-01-2015, 01:36 PM
I myself had no issues with the trigger pull on the LC9. It was just the girls. I thought it felt fine, but then again I am a lot more experienced with handling firearms than they are, and I am physically stronger as well.

suncat05
04-01-2015, 03:58 PM
Another thing I really like about the LC9 is the double spring on the guiderod. For such a small handgun the felt recoil is very minimal.