PDA

View Full Version : SEC Media Day: Calipari says team has a long way to go

Darrell KSR
10-25-2012, 02:29 PM
Just a few notes now on my tablet, hopefully more later, including video if it came out okay.

Fun interview with the media. I particularly enjoyed Cal trying to explain to a non-UK media person how Kentucky is different than any other place, and how you cannot prepare for it. The reporter seemed incredulous, but Cal stood firm.

Same general stance Cal took as you heard last night. Said the team is an "October team" right now. Said they weren't very good. Called out both Poythress and Goodwin for their lack of defense, and how much they had to go to work on it.

Compared them to the 2011 team that struggled in conference, losing 6, and said this team could struggle as much or more before putting it together.

But there's the rub. He does like the team. He clearly said he likes them as a team in March.

Interesting comments about how long he might stay at Kentucky. Not 20 years, but it seemed to me he might be pointing at 10. Said something like, "if I'm here past 10 years, it will be because something good has happened."

Sorry, rival fans. Sounded like he will be at UK for awhile.

More later.

Darryl
10-25-2012, 02:35 PM
Just a few notes now on my tablet, hopefully more later, including video if it came out okay.

Fun interview with the media. I particularly enjoyed Cal trying to explain to a non-UK media person how Kentucky is different than any other place, and how you cannot prepare for it. The reporter seemed incredulous, but Cal stood firm.

Same general stance Cal took as you heard last night. Said the team is an "October team" right now. Said they weren't very good. Called out both Poythress and Goodwin for their lack of defense, and how much they had to go to work on it.

Compared them to the 2011 team that struggled in conference, losing 6, and said this team could struggle as much or more before putting it together.

But there's the rub. He does like the team. He clearly said he likes them as a team in March.

Interesting comments about how long he might stay at Kentucky. Not 20 years, but it seemed to me he might be pointing at 10. Said something like, "if I'm here past 10 years, it will be because something good has happened."

Sorry, rival fans. Sounded like he will be at UK for awhile.

More later.

He'll retire from UK at 65 years of age with 5-6 NCAA titles.

Darryl

Darrell KSR
10-25-2012, 02:48 PM
As I was listening to him, I was thinking, "Darryl will love this."

How was the luncheon/dinner engagement?