PDA

View Full Version : Sci-Fi and Thriller Book Suggestions.

PedroDaGr8
03-28-2015, 11:37 PM
For a complete change of pace, I recently discovered that my public library now supports lending to Kindles (I LOVE my Kindle Paperwhite, best thing since sliced bread). I am the type that would MUCH rather sit on the couch with a bourbon in hand and read a book than watch almost ANYTHING on TV (UK being the exception of course). I am a huge thriller nut (read EVERYTHING ever written by Stephen King) and have been getting more into Sci-Fi recently as I expand. Any one have any suggestions in either genre:

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson - This was off of a suggestion by a colleague. My first introduction to the cyperpunk genre, a truly awesome book. For those that have read it: Gargoyles = google glass
Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons - This was a surprisingly damn good read. It's a very unique twist on the concept of vampires. They feast not off blood but the suffering of others, so psychic vampires if you will. A damn good story, quite suspenseful at points. If you like supernatural thrillers in the vein of Stephen King then this is a damn good one.
Swan Song by Robery McCammon - A post-apocolyptic story. Not bad not great, a solid read if you are bored.
Dune by Frank Herbery - Reading this one right now. It has been on my reading list for a long time and I already regret not reading it sooner. So far it has been damn good and I am only 21% finished (according to the kindle). It has a similar feel in some ways to The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. Clearly, King was influenced by this work. Don't get me wrong, Dark Tower is unique and excellent in its own right but there is a similarity of feel

bigsky
03-30-2015, 07:44 PM
I read those apocalyptic vampire books "The Passage" and "The Twelve". Only the Passage really grabbed me.

I read the GeorgeRRMartin "Game of Thrones" books. That will keep ya going a while .

I read all the Lee Child "Reacher" books. There is a ton of them.

CitizenBBN
03-31-2015, 07:22 PM
dune is a cornerstone work in sci-fi of course, and I love the overall architecture of his story.

I must say though I gave up reading a while back, haven't picked it back up. Used to read a great deal, just don't anymore.

PedroDaGr8
04-01-2015, 01:51 PM
dune is a cornerstone work in sci-fi of course, and I love the overall architecture of his story.

I must say though I gave up reading a while back, haven't picked it back up. Used to read a great deal, just don't anymore.

Kindle (the real deal with e-ink display, not one of those tablets) has brought me back to reading. I keep it with me pretty regularly and will read when I have a chance. Times like waiting for the Dr., etc. it might only be a few pages at a time but other times it might be for a half hour or more.

KSRBEvans
04-01-2015, 02:46 PM
Most of the thrillers I read are military or legal thrillers. The Grisham books are a guilty pleasure of mine--not very deep but enjoyable page-turners. My favorites are A Time To Kill, The Firm, The Chamber and The Street Lawyer. For military thrillers, hard to beat the old Tom Clancy classics. The Hunt for Red October is one of my favorites in any genre.

For science fiction I'm currently reading an interesting alternate history novel "The Man In The High Castle" by Phillip K. Dick. It's based on a world in 1962 where the Axis won World War II and basically divided the world between them.

KSRBEvans
04-07-2015, 12:41 PM
I saw this article (http://mentalfloss.com/article/62736/12-fantastic-facts-about-wrinkle-time) today and it made me think of this thread.

Have you read "A Wrinkle In Time"? It's commonly thought of as a children's book but it's a great sci-fi book for all ages IMHO.

CitizenBBN
04-08-2015, 10:05 PM
I saw this article (http://mentalfloss.com/article/62736/12-fantastic-facts-about-wrinkle-time) today and it made me think of this thread.

Have you read "A Wrinkle In Time"? It's commonly thought of as a children's book but it's a great sci-fi book for all ages IMHO.

Man, it's been forever since I read it. I may need to pick it up again, I barely remember it all now. I did know it was first of a series, it was only 3 I think when I read it the first time.

PedroDaGr8
04-09-2015, 11:06 PM

Damn I forgot about that book. I need to read it again.

Good suggestions, guys. I've got several in my queue, on wait list to be available. Finished Dune this weekend, a damn good book.

kingcat
04-13-2015, 11:27 PM
I like me some good old picture books bestest in the world.

http://www.playingbythebook.net/wp-content/uploads//my_truck_is_stuck_frontcover.jpg

UKHistory
04-16-2015, 08:11 PM
I enjoy the Grisham novels. But the Han Solo Trilogy of books (1 paperback) written by the late Brian Daley are some of my favorite stories. I just love them. I read them working out or on long flights. It is like spending time with an old friend.

ukblue
04-18-2015, 07:10 PM
Two good sci-fi authors everyone should try are Joshua Dalzelle and Saxon Andrews. They both have books that are series that are really good imo.