PDA

View Full Version : Scrimmage game.

DanISSELisdaman
10-24-2012, 08:38 PM
What does everyone think about the Cats thus far?........Overall, I was pretty impressed with them, for it to be so early. Goodwin is gonna be great, Poythress will be a beast, Harrow looked pretty good in the second half, Stien is gonna fool a lot of people, both offensively and on defense, Wiltjer is improved in the post, but still lacks the ability to play good defense, Noel is gonna be a beast on defense, but has his work cut out for him on offense. It will come, but it may be SEC time before it does. His lack of practice time with the team is hurting him some now IMO. Hood looked good and will get quite a bit of playing time if he performs in the real thing as he did in this scrimmage. Polson should be able to break Harrow at the point without giving up a lot. I'm pretty well pleased with what I saw so far. The biggest thing I see to work on, is free throw shooting and getting Noel and Stien to stop bringing the ball down and getting it stripped.

dan_bgblue
10-24-2012, 09:04 PM
Dan, I am on the road and listened but did not get to watch. What would you think of Noel or WCS covering up for Wiltjer's lack of defense in a zone and him making up for their lack of offense by playing either 2 or 3 of them together?

DanISSELisdaman
10-24-2012, 11:42 PM
Dan, Noel and WCS can take up the slack on defense. They both looked very good to me in that dept. Wiltjer is stronger than last year and finishes better under contact. He is really a good hook shooter with either hand and has great touch from just about anywhere on the floor. I would like to see the three of them play together some. It would be really hard to stop them IMO. WCS will hold his own offensively with most centers that he will face. He has some pretty good post moves, something that Noel didn't show tonight. I'm really impressed with WCS. Noel didn't seem to finish well, even on dunks tonight. Maybe it was just an off night for him and maybe WCS had something to do with it, I don't know. He can definitely block shots though. I thought WCS played some good D on him.

DanISSELisdaman
10-24-2012, 11:53 PM
When the season starts and Cal can put his best players on one team, it's really going to be interesting. I think he will be able to play different line-ups more than he has for the past couple years. Poythress is going to be awesome when he's motivated. I look for Cal to ride him pretty hard as he did Jones, to get his motor running.

chroix
10-25-2012, 07:17 AM
A lot of talent and a lot of kids under the spotlight for the first time imo. We have a lot of good pieces that is for sure. WCS and Mays are big time surprises to me. If Poyhtress could get a shot of Goodwin's energy look out world.

Darrell KSR
10-25-2012, 07:36 AM
Work-in-progress.

Reminds me of 2011. Maybe we'll be as good; maybe we'll be better. But I can see trying to figure out how to play. Agree with Calipari; they didn't look like a top 5 team last night.

suncat05
10-25-2012, 10:40 AM
I liked what I saw. The only real negative that I observed was that Poythress needs some motivation instilled in him, he just did not hustle like he should have until later in the scrimmage. But aside from that I saw lots of raw talent & potential there. I believe we're in for another fun filled basketball season.

jimbo4uk
10-25-2012, 06:59 PM
I heard that Noel apparently hurt his back on that first block of WCS. That may have had something to do with him not finishing on some shots. Also, he hasn't had as much practice time as the others. Noel and WCS are going to swat A LOT of shots this year. I'm stoked!