PDA

View Full Version : Pedro--man, this Surface Pro has been fantastic at the SEC tourney

Darrell KSR
03-15-2015, 11:34 AM
Small, lightweight, and battery life phenomenal. The wi-fi capability appears to be far better than my colleagues with their full-fledged laptops, who are struggling with Bridgestone Arena wi-fi.

I also have the curved bluetooth mouse that makes it a joy to work with, as opposed to the touchpad. While the keyboard cover is not fantastic, it is perfectly fine for this kind of work. I also have plenty of table space for my camera, my phone, a media guide, and a glass of water during the game without infringing on anyone else's space next to me.

Really, really good.

PedroDaGr8
03-15-2015, 02:19 PM
Small, lightweight, and battery life phenomenal. The wi-fi capability appears to be far better than my colleagues with their full-fledged laptops, who are struggling with Bridgestone Arena wi-fi.

I also have the curved bluetooth mouse that makes it a joy to work with, as opposed to the touchpad. While the keyboard cover is not fantastic, it is perfectly fine for this kind of work. I also have plenty of table space for my camera, my phone, a media guide, and a glass of water during the game without infringing on anyone else's space next to me.

Really, really good.

That's REALLY great news D! I really think if someone is looking for a tablet, where portability is key, this is one of the best there is. It's a touchscreen tablet when you need it but has the ability to be used as a laptop with a full Windows OS when the demand arises. I agree the keyboard cover isn't fantastic but it's good enough (better than trying to type on a screen).

If you don't mind me asking, how IS the battery life. We use the Surface wall mounted so we have not evaluated the battery life.

Darrell KSR
03-15-2015, 04:01 PM
That's REALLY great news D! I really think if someone is looking for a tablet, where portability is key, this is one of the best there is. It's a touchscreen tablet when you need it but has the ability to be used as a laptop with a full Windows OS when the demand arises. I agree the keyboard cover isn't fantastic but it's good enough (better than trying to type on a screen).

If you don't mind me asking, how IS the battery life. We use the Surface wall mounted so we have not evaluated the battery life.

I'm not positive, but long enough for me to use it all day here at games without charging. But really only used it for 5 or 6 hours that way. Seemed like it had plenty of juice left, but sorry, I can't really tell you beyond that.

PedroDaGr8
03-15-2015, 05:40 PM
I'm not positive, but long enough for me to use it all day here at games without charging. But really only used it for 5 or 6 hours that way. Seemed like it had plenty of juice left, but sorry, I can't really tell you beyond that.

That's pretty damn good. Thanks for letting me know.

CitizenBBN
03-15-2015, 07:01 PM
This is very useful. I need something for doing inventory using Dragon dictate I think, needs to be windows but it's a walking around situation so a tablet is great choice, but has to have Windows for dragon.

Maybe the voice recognition in something else would be as good, but dragon is pretty much the main game in that market and has been a long time.

Any critical differences between the versions? I don't need the latest and greatest for this, just solid wifi and ability to run the dragon software well.

PedroDaGr8
03-16-2015, 01:40 PM
This is very useful. I need something for doing inventory using Dragon dictate I think, needs to be windows but it's a walking around situation so a tablet is great choice, but has to have Windows for dragon.

Maybe the voice recognition in something else would be as good, but dragon is pretty much the main game in that market and has been a long time.

Any critical differences between the versions? I don't need the latest and greatest for this, just solid wifi and ability to run the dragon software well.

Sounds like this is what you want, Chuck. Microsoft scrapped the Arm version running WindowsRT so they all run Intel and full blown Windows 8.1 Pro. The biggest differences between the various Surface Pro 3 models are the processors (core i3 v. core i5 v. core i7), RAM (4GB or 8GB) and storage space (64GB, 128GB, 256GB, 512GB). We use the lowest end version at work and it is plenty powerful for what we want. I just read yesterday that the Surface 4 is going to come out in Q2 of this year. If you can wait, it should drive the prices of the SP3's down or supposedly there will be a slightly larger 14" model available as well if you are interested in that. The device is not upgradeable but does have a microsd slot. So choose carefully for your needs.

Doc
03-16-2015, 06:07 PM
My wife has had one for over a year and loves it.

Darrell KSR
03-17-2015, 09:53 AM
FWIW, I have the 256gb, i5, 8gb RAM one. Compared to my other computers, it flies. Of course, my other computers take extra time to take the floppy disks in and out...

I have Microsoft Office, Quickbooks Pro, and a tax software package on it. I have Dragon dictation software (older version) I have not loaded onto it yet, but will. In addition, I regularly use it to upload 30 to 45 minute audio lectures for the class I teach and it does a terrific job with that. I splurged and purchased a USB microphone that was very highly rated, and has worked great according to my students who have to listen to my garbage. I will edit this and let you know what microphone I use, but you probably have a better one yourself.

Darrell KSR
03-17-2015, 09:56 AM
Here's the microphone -- Samson Go-Mic. Only $35.99, and it is great. Clips on the tablet, your shirt, whatever.

http://www.amazon.com/Samson-Mic-Portable-Condenser-Microphone/dp/B001R76D42

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51LY0gazMwL._SL1023_.jpg

Darrell KSR
03-18-2015, 08:54 AM
Left my power cord in my "electronics backpack" that I use when I travel, and had my tablet yesterday. Started to turn it on at the office, and unfortunately, I had no battery life.

I used it at the SEC tournament Sunday without power cord from 10:30-4, and didn't turn it off, but I think it hibernates automatically? Anyway, apparently it drained whatever power was left overnight to 11 am the next morning. I was a little disappointed with that, hoping for an hour or so of use yesterday.

CGWildcat
03-20-2015, 09:22 AM
What do you (anyone) consider best uses for Dragon?

Darrell KSR
03-20-2015, 10:01 AM
What do you (anyone) consider best uses for Dragon?

That's a great question. I bought Dragon on a special sale a couple of years ago almost as a precaution in case I temporarily couldn't type due to an injury or something. I have yet to use it.

Darrell KSR
05-19-2015, 10:22 PM
Update -- SEC baseball tournament. I've had this on for 5-1/2 hours. Not sure if it was fully charged or not, but probably close if it wasn't. I haven't used it in about a month, and plugged it in this morning and then took it this afternoon about 2 p.m. Sat in my car until 5 p.m.

Has been constantly connected to wi-fi and the bluetooth mouse, and used constantly now for 5-1/2 hours, and it's still plugging along. But may only be another 30 minutes to an hour of work; just got a low (10%) battery warning. If it was fully charged, and the 10% is accurage, then I'd only have about 45 more minutes.

I'd guess 6 to 7 hours of hard use is going to be realistic in those conditions. If I come tomorrow, I'll be sure and bring my power cord. It was nice to be able to come and know I could last for a 3-1/2 hour ballgame, plus postgame, and most or all of the next game without charging.

PedroDaGr8
05-20-2015, 03:45 PM
Update -- SEC baseball tournament. I've had this on for 5-1/2 hours. Not sure if it was fully charged or not, but probably close if it wasn't. I haven't used it in about a month, and plugged it in this morning and then took it this afternoon about 2 p.m. Sat in my car until 5 p.m.

Has been constantly connected to wi-fi and the bluetooth mouse, and used constantly now for 5-1/2 hours, and it's still plugging along. But may only be another 30 minutes to an hour of work; just got a low (10%) battery warning. If it was fully charged, and the 10% is accurage, then I'd only have about 45 more minutes.

I'd guess 6 to 7 hours of hard use is going to be realistic in those conditions. If I come tomorrow, I'll be sure and bring my power cord. It was nice to be able to come and know I could last for a 3-1/2 hour ballgame, plus postgame, and most or all of the next game without charging.

Thats pretty good! Much better than most laptops.

By the way, do you have dynamic screen brightness enabled? That can save battery by dimming the screen when it doesn't need to be fully bright. Usually the screen is the biggest battery killer follwed by wifi or CPU (if doing intensive processing).

Darrell KSR
05-20-2015, 08:24 PM
Thats pretty good! Much better than most laptops.

By the way, do you have dynamic screen brightness enabled? That can save battery by dimming the screen when it doesn't need to be fully bright. Usually the screen is the biggest battery killer follwed by wifi or CPU (if doing intensive processing).

I do not, but it sounds like a great idea.

Darrell KSR
05-23-2015, 02:10 PM
OK--I don't know what I just did, but I went to settings, then Power, and clicked the slide button that said adjust brightness automatically. I don't know if that's the same thing you recommended, or something else, but probably something I should've done anyway.l