PDA

View Full Version : What would you do? You live in an inhabited area, but it's close to a state park

Darrell KSR
03-05-2015, 01:30 PM
You have woods on your property, the woods extend for a block, and continue throughout your neighborhood.

You live in an unincorporated area.

Now, the stage is set.

You have the following that run through your property on occasion:

a) snakes
b) deer
c) rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks
d) coyote
e) foxes
f) racoons and opossums

a) I'm not very fond of snakes, but if I'm certain they're one that isn't poisonous, I'll try to grab a shovel and toss it back into the woods area. Otherwise, the shovel is used a different way.

b) The deer, of course, I leave alone. But they bother me seeing them run through the yards, and occasionally, across the street.

c) Rabbits, squirrels and chipmunks are fun to watch on occasion. But squirrels and chipmunks can be problematic when they are around the residence. I began a venture to eradicate, and basically gave up on that for the most part.

d) Coyotes, I have seen. Have not done anything with them.

e) Same with foxes. How would you handle those, if anything?

f) Raccoons and opossums we "shoo away." I think I had a racoon visitor to the squirrel before squirrel evictor lights and a sound system (the ones that claim they annoy pests that you can't hear) were installed in the attic. Have not heard or seen any evidence of him since.

What would you do in this situation? I don't think my neighbors would like me shooting a bunch of firearms in the area, by the way, if that makes a difference.

CitizenBBN
03-05-2015, 01:40 PM
Shoot the coyotes (or drop them any way you can), keep the raccoons and possums out of the house structure and trash, film the chipmunks (my favorite animal), ooh and ah at the rest when you see them. :)

BigBluePappy
03-05-2015, 02:02 PM
The only good Coyote is a dead coyote.

suncat05
03-05-2015, 02:08 PM
Deer, just let them be. Snakes, as long as they're not poisonous, leave them be. Possums & raccoons, leave them alone. As long as you control any possible food sources for them(garbage cans), they'll move on down the road. Rabbits, squirrels & chipmunks, enjoy! Foxes......they may be protected by the state, you may want to check on that. And my favorite, coyotes.........I have heard that some states protect them (I have no earthly idea WHY they would do that, but in any event that's another question for the state wildlife officers; but if coyotes are not protected, then either trap them or just shoot them. They're nothing but a menace. Get rid of them.

Doc
03-05-2015, 06:45 PM
Get a dog

KeithKSR
03-05-2015, 06:55 PM
You have woods on your property, the woods extend for a block, and continue throughout your neighborhood.

You live in an unincorporated area.

Now, the stage is set.

You have the following that run through your property on occasion:

a) snakes
b) deer
c) rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks
d) coyote
e) foxes
f) racoons and opossums

a) I'm not very fond of snakes, but if I'm certain they're one that isn't poisonous, I'll try to grab a shovel and toss it back into the woods area. Otherwise, the shovel is used a different way.

b) The deer, of course, I leave alone. But they bother me seeing them run through the yards, and occasionally, across the street.

c) Rabbits, squirrels and chipmunks are fun to watch on occasion. But squirrels and chipmunks can be problematic when they are around the residence. I began a venture to eradicate, and basically gave up on that for the most part.

d) Coyotes, I have seen. Have not done anything with them.

e) Same with foxes. How would you handle those, if anything?

f) Raccoons and opossums we "shoo away." I think I had a racoon visitor to the squirrel before squirrel evictor lights and a sound system (the ones that claim they annoy pests that you can't hear) were installed in the attic. Have not heard or seen any evidence of him since.

What would you do in this situation? I don't think my neighbors would like me shooting a bunch of firearms in the area, by the way, if that makes a difference.

If you have pests you may be able to get the fish and game people to set some box traps and relocate them. If it is trapping season you can get a couple of box traps and trap then relocate them yourself. If it is a coyote don't relocate get rid of them.

bigsky
03-05-2015, 10:53 PM
Air rifle

Darrell KSR
03-06-2015, 01:56 PM
Air rifle

Per CatintheFort's advice, I have the Crosman 2260SE .22 CO2 single shot bolt action. It has been used and is very effective when it is used. I can't (or I won't--I don't think it is right) use it for bigger varmints than tree rats, but If i were an expert shot, I might consider it for more.

I will say this--the times I have used it, it has been extremely effective, and a one pellet cost.

MickintheHam
03-06-2015, 09:38 PM
I have the same situation as you Darrell, except instead of the State park I have the river and avout 25 acres of deeded open space nxt to my property. Once the coyotes moved in there are no more wild Turkey, except for the Wild Turkey in my bar. Since I am in the city options are limited. I believe I will go the air rifle route.

jazyd
03-07-2015, 05:09 PM
I have the same situation as you Darrell, except instead of the State park I have the river and avout 25 acres of deeded open space nxt to my property. Once the coyotes moved in there are no more wild Turkey, except for the Wild Turkey in my bar. Since I am in the city options are limited. I believe I will go the air rifle route.

Get a good, powerful air riflfe and kill every coyote. Unfortunately the old anti freeze in hot dogs for coyotes dont' work because they changed the formula. The other thing, dogs eat the hot dogs also. Deer are fun to watch, just like a family, especially the fawns. But kill the coyote and if you don't want to do it, call the Game and Fish and ask them to get rid of them for you.

Doc
03-07-2015, 05:39 PM
I would consider myself lucky, enjoy the foxes, coyotee, deer, snakes and other wildlife.

We back up to a golf course course. About 4 years ago the course sold and the new owner abandoned it so it overgrew. We had wild boars back there, snakes (poisonous ones including a couple 6 plus foot rattles that were killed by neighbors), wildcats and even gators. We have all sorts of critters run across our roof from possums to squirrels (as we hear the patter of their feet at all hours of the day). That area was a wild and uninhabitable as any you will see, much ot our chagrin from a property owner point of view. The course has since been sold and is being refurbished and the 18th hole redone (that is the one we live on) so its no longer a wildlife preserve, but during that time those critters did us no harm others than possibly getting my cat (Mahalo disappeared during that time). So if it were me, I'd just enjoy the nature. Nothing more.

bigsky
03-08-2015, 01:18 PM
http://bozemannewsonline.com/crosman-air-guns-leveling-the-field/

dan_bgblue
03-08-2015, 08:35 PM
Set up some bleacher seating and sell tickets to the observation deck of the "Cartwright Wild Animal Sanctuary"?