PDA

View Full Version : Deer season 2012

thedeerehunter
10-21-2012, 10:01 AM
Little late with this thread, but I haven't had a chance to do any bowhunting this year. Took the girls out for youth weekend last weekend, didn't do any good but we had a good time finding scrapes and rubs. My 7 year old was particularly enamored with watching the chipmunks play below our perch in the shooting house.

Went yesterday for early blackpowder. Saw some nice fat does and a 4 pointer, but nothing to put on the wall. I plan on taking a doe or two for meat, but prefer to wait for colder weather where I can let them hang for a while. Didn't get out this morning because I was up and down last night with a sick kid, but plan on heading back out this afternoon.

jazyd
10-21-2012, 11:27 AM
a friend in Paducah went yesterday with a young boy he is teaching the ropes to, they didn't hunt as the young man didn' want to spring for an out of state license but they sat in the truck and saw 19, mostly does. While our other friend hunted from a ground blind a few hundred yards away saw two nice bucks, one really big one, that both slipped thru w/o getting a shot. Passed on some does early in the afternoon and then couldn't get a shot at one late. Both saw a lot of deer yesterday afternoon.

CitizenBBN
10-21-2012, 02:15 PM
Grazed one with my car a couple of weeks ago, no damage to the car and didn't seem to be any to the doe. Three does in a group, could have dropped all 3 with a 380 pocket pistol if it were season. lol.

Ought to be thick as thieves this year from everyone I've talked to. Talk to a lot of hunters now with the gun stuff and most have said they've seen a lot as they've been out scouting. Haven't heard much about turkey. Anyone hear how it's looking?

I love chipmunks. Could watch them all day. Don't know why, something in that quick, darting mannerism that is mesmerizing to me. Not sure I'd want to get up at 4am and sit in a cold blind all day to do it though. ;)

kingcats
10-21-2012, 08:57 PM
Citizen, you know TDH doesn't sit in a blind all day, he spends much of his time hanging upside down from trees! :p

dan_bgblue
10-23-2012, 06:38 PM
Citizen, you know TDH doesn't sit in a blind all day, he spends much of his time hanging upside down from trees! :p

Hunter discovered that he had no liking for the inverted view of the woods and opted for a safer and more refined blind from which to hunt.

kingcats
10-24-2012, 01:52 PM
Didn't know you'd been there, Dan! You got a good pic of the place. :D

Hunter discovered that he had no liking for the inverted view of the woods and opted for a safer and more refined blind from which to hunt.

CitizenBBN
10-24-2012, 03:38 PM
Do you guys use real guns or just hook an XBox to your flat panel TV? ;)

dan_bgblue
10-24-2012, 03:57 PM
Do you guys use real guns or just hook an XBox to your flat panel TV? ;)

That white box under what looks like a TV is really an Aegis fire control system. The screen above is actually a 3D radar screen. Aegis is connected to a pod mounted Barrett .50 cal mounted to the roof of the blind.

DanISSELisdaman
10-31-2012, 06:00 PM
Hunter, you can tell that some of these guys just don't get it. Now Dan on the other hand sounds like he may have been there before. :p

BTW, I've not had the chance to do much hunting this fall either. I bow hunted one morning for about two hrs. Didn't see any deer, but did see one turkey. Hunted one evening with a smoke pole and didn't see anything. The deer herd is really down here and the turkey population is way down too.

thedeerehunter
11-04-2012, 12:21 PM
As always, looking forward to opening morning of rifle season next weekend. One of my favorite days of the year.

dan_bgblue
11-04-2012, 12:45 PM
Good luck hunter. Over the last 3 weeks the does seem to be moving more than usual early and late if the ones I have been dodging on the highway are any indication of numbers and activity.

jazyd
11-07-2012, 10:33 PM
Ours opens on the 17th and I am way behind, just too darn busy with work trying to keep that going somehow. And we have been having our foundation fixed, would not wish that on anyone.

CitizenBBN
11-07-2012, 11:48 PM
Ours opens on the 17th and I am way behind,

Pre cooking the quiche shells?:tongue08: