PDA

View Full Version : In honor of Snowpocalypse 2015

KSRBEvans
02-15-2015, 11:09 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6zaVYWLTkU&spfreload=10

Everybody be careful out there.

At the stores, I mean.

Yeah, the roads might get bad here in Kentucky, too, but first things first.

blueboss
02-15-2015, 11:13 AM
Yep, they're saying we could get our first significant snow fall of the year, looks to be worse for the southern half of KY and N. TN, our boys will be traveling late Monday or early Tuesday for an appointment with the Vols and history.

KSRBEvans
02-15-2015, 11:52 AM
NWS has increased Louisville forecast accumulations to 8-12 inches.

http://www.wlky.com/weather/Noon-GFS-snow-forecast-update/31283794

Last time we had that much was in March 08 (8 inches), but it was one of those late winter/early spring snows that melted pretty quickly. We're going to have the coldest temps of the winter coming in behind this, so this will be around awhile.

I'm dealing with a bad cold, so Mrs. BEvans is at the store right now getting supplies. Keep her in your prayers. :evilgrin0007:

dan_bgblue
02-15-2015, 04:15 PM
I went to the local store this morning not thinking about the weather forecast. People were very cordial, but traffic jams were happening in every aisle. I only had 7 things on my list to purchase, things the Mrs. forgot on her last trip to the store. I was in no hurry and people watching, while there, was quite entertaining. No fights broke out but I did guard my loaf of rye bread quite closely.

We have plenty of food in the pantry, auxiliary heat in case the big E goes on the fritz, and candles and batteries by the dozens. We lack a generator as I have never found that we really needed one, but I may regret it if the big E is not available and I have to miss the next b'ball game

Darrell KSR
02-15-2015, 05:15 PM
Fortunately for us, the forecast has changed and it is going to be about 60 miles north of us. That's good, because we are unprepared for winter weather.

I have a fireplace and a portable generator that I've never used (and resides at a friend's house maybe 20 miles away). Glad we don't need that stuff often.

Everybody be safe in the snow and ice zone.

CitizenBBN
02-15-2015, 05:26 PM
I bought a generator at an auction (shocker), but I could use some gas for it. There's a full tank in the car, guess I'll siphon it if it comes to that.

We put in unvented gas long ago to have supplemental heat, but it makes a good backup as well. What I haven't done is get a backup for the igniter on the tankless hot water heater.

Sounds like lots of snow though, not ice or freezing rain, so hopefully the power situation wont' be too bad. I hope.

dan_bgblue
02-15-2015, 06:25 PM
Fortunately for us, the forecast has changed and it is going to be about 60 miles north of us.

I hope the jet stream stays north of the Birmingham contingent. If it dips south over night, you might see some freezing rain.

suncat05
02-15-2015, 07:40 PM
The projected forecast for SW Florida tomorrow is: Partly sunny, with a high temperature of 75*, partly cloudy and clear tomorrow night, low of 55*.

It's rough, but somebody's gotta do it! :tongue08:

CitizenBBN
02-15-2015, 08:36 PM
Oh trust me, I think harder all the time about finding a job in Key West as a cook or something, sell everything to get a small place to live and make enough to cover my bar tab, drink myself to an early but very warm grave in the Key west cemetery.

Darrell KSR
02-15-2015, 09:05 PM
I hope the jet stream stays north of the Birmingham contingent. If it dips south over night, you might see some freezing rain.

The good news for me is, although my address is Birmingham, I live a good 15 miles south of the city, and in a different County. I'm feeling pretty good right now.

KSRBEvans
02-16-2015, 08:06 AM
Oh trust me, I think harder all the time about finding a job in Key West as a cook or something, sell everything to get a small place to live and make enough to cover my bar tab, drink myself to an early but very warm grave in the Key west cemetery.

When I was younger I thought I wanted to live someplace with a change of seasons.

When I was younger, I was an idiot.

KSRBEvans
02-16-2015, 08:13 AM
BTW, here's a pic of the milk section at my local Kroger around 7 last night:

suncat05
02-16-2015, 08:23 AM
CBBN, the Keys are nice just about all year long. The penalty for living there though, is having to deal with hurricane season, and the higher cost of living. Aside from those two items, it's pretty dang nice.

CitizenBBN
02-16-2015, 08:44 AM
It's not cheap, esp if you try to get housing on the island, but I do love it there. I thought about getting a boat (I don't know the first thing about them) so for hurricanes I can just motor my butt out of there, lol. Even the boat option is crazy expensive though, they charge a fortune for a slip there.

Gets pretty hot there in the summer at times, but I can take that. If I got a place it would be up as high as I could get, you'd have damage issues from storms but probably not flooding.

suncat05
02-16-2015, 12:28 PM
Speaking of which.........you guys know that my daughter works at Shands Hospital in Gainesville........I spent a bunch of money on property in the Philippines for a retirement spot in 2010........not long after my dear daughter starts working up there, she hits me with "Dad, when you retire you can just move to Gainesville! The hospital has its own security, and all they hire is retired cops!"..........and then the next day the Boss says "Honey, when you retire, why don't we just move to Gainesville so we can be close to J.........."........now I just know these two girls are not conspiring against me.........are they?

blueboss
02-16-2015, 12:40 PM
Speaking of which.........you guys know that my daughter works at Shands Hospital in Gainesville........I spent a bunch of money on property in the Philippines for a retirement spot in 2010........not long after my dear daughter starts working up there, she hits me with "Dad, when you retire you can just move to Gainesville! The hospital has its own security, and all they hire is retired cops!"..........and then the next day the Boss says "Honey, when you retire, why don't we just move to Gainesville so we can be close to J.........."........now I just know these two girls are not conspiring against me.........are they?

I might be interested in the Philippines property

CitizenBBN
02-16-2015, 02:03 PM
I might be interested in the Philippines property

Maybe we can do a time share. :) I'm thinking about becoming an expat. I think I should be like the guy in Kill Bill2, Bill's "father", but without the ugly hookers.

suncat05
02-16-2015, 02:24 PM
Since I've dpoken with you on the phone a couple of times, CBBN, I don't think you can pull off that cheesy Mexican accent as well as Michael Parks did.................j/s.

dan_bgblue
02-16-2015, 04:55 PM
suncat, as a husband, and father of a daughter, I can promise those two women are conspiring against you. I do not know your particular family dynamnic, but I do know that my wife would never retire to a place that was further than 50 miles from her daughter and grandchildren. If mama ain't happy no one is happy. Time to check out the security guard opportunities in the Gainsville area.

dan_bgblue
02-16-2015, 04:57 PM
BTW, back to the original topic, measured snowfall at casa dan_bgblue is 11.25 inches and accumulating snow appears to be over. I heard on the news that the governor has declared the commonwealth of KY to be in a state of emergency.

CitizenBBN
02-16-2015, 05:07 PM
not sure what Lexvegas got but it's a bunch.

CitizenBBN
02-16-2015, 06:01 PM
Saw the official report thus far is 9.3", looks about right.

BigBluePappy
02-16-2015, 06:19 PM
In my little neck of the woods it was 9.5", no drift.
I hate winter.
And so does my aching back...

Darrell KSR
02-16-2015, 10:43 PM
suncat, as a husband, and father of a daughter, I can promise those two women are conspiring against you. I do not know your particular family dynamnic, but I do know that my wife would never retire to a place that was further than 50 miles from her daughter and grandchildren. If mama ain't happy no one is happy. Time to check out the security guard opportunities in the Gainsville area.

X2. Dan's right. No question about it.

suncat05
02-17-2015, 08:49 AM
Now she's talking about 6 months in the Philippines and 6 months in Florida. I guess she thinks we belong on an episode of Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous.................so I guess I'm going to need to win the stinkin' Powerball lottery........it is 72* and partly sunny here in SW Florida, with today's high expected to be about 81*, and a low temperature for tonight expected to be 57* with clear skies. Just wanted to share the sunshine with you guys...........

kingcat
02-17-2015, 04:04 PM
Now she's talking about 6 months in the Philippines and 6 months in Florida. I guess she thinks we belong on an episode of Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous.................so I guess I'm going to need to win the stinkin' Powerball lottery........it is 72* and partly sunny here in SW Florida, with today's high expected to be about 81*, and a low temperature for tonight expected to be 57* with clear skies. Just wanted to share the sunshine with you guys...........

https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608011999139334691&pid=15.1&P=0

dan_bgblue
02-18-2015, 02:27 PM
Love the pic

suncat05
02-19-2015, 08:26 AM
Love the pic

Yeah, that is absolutely a great pic! kingcat is on point, as usual!