PDA

View Full Version : New family member

Doc
02-12-2015, 07:32 PM
sent these to mick but thought I share here as well.

Over the last year I've had to put down two of my dogs. Harriet was our old rescue bulldog, a real nasty piece of work who have been euthanized had somebody not suckered my wife into taking her. Folks tell you their $10,000 dog. Well she really was one of those. Did everything possible to allow her a happy and pain free 8 years of life. Had to euthanize her about a year ago due to failing health.

Then on Nov 1st we had to put Mojo down. Moj as he was known was our 15 year old spaniel mix, also from the shelter who had a stroke in July of 2013 and was never right after that. Was my wife running partner until then. Doggie Alzheimers did him in and my wife have been wanting a new running partner since because all we had left was Oxford, our other bulldog rescue. Oxfords idea of running is walking to the end of the driveway and resting.

So my wife has been looking for a German Shorthaired Pointer. We had found a breeder up in the FL panhandle who agreed to sell us one. Of course it was a "show quality", for a show quality price but the conditions were 4 shows a year, she would train the dog (at our expense) and keep the dog, show the dog (for which we paid her), and when the dog came into heat she would determine who the stud was, and if it was one of her stud she got the stud fee. This didn't seem like a very good deal to me so we inquired about a "pet quality" dog to which were told that the dog would come spayed/neutered. When it was noted that my wife had an interest in breeding pet quality we were informed that was not an option. See we buy the dog but really don't have any say in what happens to it. Sort of an odd thing. Of course this surprise my wife but not me. We nuked this idea and of course the breeder told us "GOOD LUCK FINDING A DOG THEN BECAUSE YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO FIND ONE!". See the dogs are in demand because of dipshits like her!

So back to the internet and within 20 minutes we came across another puppy, the one we ended up with. Unfortunately he could not be sold as a show dog because he had what was believed to be a umbilical hernia (congenital defect) but actually was not but rather a muscular hernia, likely not genetic, however could not be known until I fixed it and i neutered him at the same time. Anyhow dog has 10 grand champions in his blood line and is beautiful. We picked him up 2 weeks ago when he was 7 weeks old, I fixed the hernia and neutered him the next day and he starts training next week (10 weeks of age). Will do field training, agility training and herd training.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j145/ksrdoc/20150126_181253_zps05a033d0.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j145/ksrdoc/20150206_145939_zps0871633e.jpg

Doc
02-12-2015, 07:35 PM
Geesh, I forgot... his name. Always the tough part. I wanted Woodford but the kids didn't like Woodford and Oxford. My next choice was Basil (as in Basil Hayden) but kids thought it was too "girlish". We then went to Bookers (we are thinking a Kentucky connection and Booker's with the Bourbon as well as Devin and that stuck for a bit but I nuked that one. I liked Trace as in Buffalo Trace but finally put my foot down and went with my FAVORITE bourbon, Pappy. I mean if you're going to go with the best, go with THE best. So his official name is Pappy Van Winkle Lee Blue (Pappy Van Winkle for the Bourbon, the Lee because his grandfather was Elbert Lee and my son wanted some part of that in there and we were not going to use ELBERT, and the Blue is obvious plus his damn had "blue" in her name). Pappy doesn't fit well now but it will when he is 5 or 6. Right now "DON'T" fits because that seems to be what I'm calling him. You know, he gets ready to crap on the floor and I yell "DON'T", or he gets ready to chew my shoes and I yell "DON'T", or he gets ready to piss on the floor and I yell "DON'T", etc.....

Doc
02-12-2015, 07:36 PM
real nice picture from my works face book page. Can't seem to copy it

https://www.facebook.com/ACEVets/photos/a.677399128959972.1073741836.114427215257169/935782716454944/?type=1

suncat05
02-13-2015, 12:06 PM
Beautiful dog there! Just a great looking dog.

It has been a long time since I had to put down a dog of mine. I had that Min-Pin that I liberated from those people when I was a police officer in Pahokee. Poor baby had heartworms, and I didn't know until it was too late. I never want to have to go through that ever again, and I don't want any dog I own to have to suffer like that ever again. It really hurt bad when I had to take her to be put down. I hate that I never even thought about taking her to the vet because she acted fine until it was too late. Lesson learned. Not going to lie, I cried like a baby when I buried her.

BigBluePappy
02-13-2015, 01:20 PM
This hound is also Pap approved.:winking0011:

jazyd
02-13-2015, 01:34 PM
Pretty dog. Doc. Have had to put 2 asleep and a third we brought home to die after a week at the vet, died that night and she is in my back yard

Doc
02-13-2015, 04:09 PM
This hound is also Pap approved.:winking0011:

Every time he poops on the floor and we step in it, its a "PAP SMEAR"

Catonahottinroof
02-13-2015, 05:06 PM
Good to know you have a new one. My wife and I lost our 10 year old chocolate lab jan 4th and we have a new one as of today. A rescue pup that is 9 weeks old and also a chocolate. His name is Chip lol

http://imageshack.com/a/img661/3294/U4QM9j.jpg

Doc
02-13-2015, 08:40 PM
That's a big un

bigsky
02-14-2015, 11:24 AM
Peggy with her, and my, new rescue. Found wandering in December, starved, unclaimed at the shelter, about 6 yrs old. Hadn't had a dog since the corgi died a year earlier. didn't know what to expect with a shelter dog.

Heuvo, the perro Nuevo is now the "lucky dog" at UK game crunch time.

bigsky
02-14-2015, 11:26 AM
the "take me home" look.

BigBluePappy
02-14-2015, 12:33 PM
Do you smack it on the nose with a rolled up newspaper like Grammy does me when I leave a "PAP SMEAR"?:winking0011:

Every time he poops on the floor and we step in it, its a "PAP SMEAR"

truecatsfan
02-14-2015, 04:47 PM
Love the puppies.

Doc
02-14-2015, 06:03 PM
Love the puppies.

http://bodyartsgallery.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/bodypaint-dogs.jpg

Catonahottinroof
02-14-2015, 07:09 PM
Are those rescue "puppies"? lol