PDA

View Full Version : Joining the Alabama Mafia

elicat
02-10-2015, 09:19 PM
When I first came around here in about 2002 or so I lived in the Atlanta area. An acquaintance told me I should look up "Wildcat Chat", because it was the best Kentucky sports discussion board. Agreed.

Moved to South Carolina in 2004, and here I've been ever after. Tried several times to get back to Kentucky. Nothing has seemed right.

So today I took a job in Athens, Alabama. Doesn't my post count here get automatically bumped up by about 20,000 for living in Alabama?

Darrell KSR
02-10-2015, 11:24 PM
I was in Athens a couple of weeks ago. Every once in a long while I head that way.

Welcome to our home. I need an excuse to go get Big Bob Gibson BBQ in Decatur. Now I have one!

elicat
02-11-2015, 06:26 AM
Sounds good. My parents live in Decatur, and I try to get by Big Bob Gibson's most trips.

Darrell KSR
02-11-2015, 09:53 AM
Oh, that's terrific--not only did you move to Bamaland, but you moved close to your parents. Win-win. Hope the job if everything you want as well.

blueboss
02-11-2015, 06:16 PM
Back to the BBQ

1) is Decatur close to I65?

2) is it better than Jim and Nick's or whatever their names are?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darrell KSR
02-11-2015, 07:02 PM
Back to the BBQ

1) Yes.
2) Probably. But every BBQ place is different. Get ya some chicken with white sauce at Big Bob Gibson's. Get ribs or open face pork sandwich (chopped, inside meat for me), slather with red sauce, cheese biscuits and chocolate pie at Jim n Nicks.

CitizenBBN
02-11-2015, 09:06 PM
Cool elicat. Maybe we should rename the site Alabama-But-Kentucky-Fan-Chat. :)

I think admission to the Bham Mafia isn't too bad. From what I've heard you have to shine Darryl's SI covers, help Darrell coach one of the 15 sports teams with which he's involved, and do NOT ask out Mick's daughter.

Should have joined the Mississippi wing though. You get to help measure cheerleaders and eat brie in the "hunting lodge".

MickintheHam
02-16-2015, 11:48 AM
When I first came around here in about 2002 or so I lived in the Atlanta area. An acquaintance told me I should look up "Wildcat Chat", because it was the best Kentucky sports discussion board. Agreed.

Moved to South Carolina in 2004, and here I've been ever after. Tried several times to get back to Kentucky. Nothing has seemed right.

So today I took a job in Athens, Alabama. Doesn't my post count here get automatically bumped up by about 20,000 for living in Alabama?

Welcome to Sweet Home! Athens, Hwy 72, is usually my fueling spot on trips to Lexington. Nice area and not too far from Huntsville, which is a plus.

MickintheHam
02-16-2015, 11:55 AM
Back to the BBQ

It is a slight detour off the interstate to get to Big Bob Gibson's. You exit at Huntsville/Decatur, cross the river, and loop back to the interstate south of town. Gibson's is south of downtown on US 31. Any meat you like is well prepared there. As Darrell mentioned the Chicken with White BBQ sauce is a specialty. (I always have some White BBQ Sauce in the pantry for smoking chicken.) While I like White BBQ sauce, the ribs and pork are fantastic. Bob has won more BBQ contests than you can count. It's worth the drive, but the whole experience will cost you about an hour and 15 minutes time.

elicat
02-16-2015, 05:54 PM
It is a slight detour off the interstate to get to Big Bob Gibson's. You exit at Huntsville/Decatur, cross the river, and loop back to the interstate south of town. Gibson's is south of downtown on US 31. Any meat you like is well prepared there. As Darrell mentioned the Chicken with White BBQ sauce is a specialty. (I always have some White BBQ Sauce in the pantry for smoking chicken.) While I like White BBQ sauce, the ribs and pork are fantastic. Bob has won more BBQ contests than you can count. It's worth the drive, but the whole experience will cost you about an hour and 15 minutes time.

Just won something (again) for the red sauce, I hear.