PDA

View Full Version : I hate broken bones

Darrell KSR
02-06-2015, 10:25 PM
Especially when it's my star point guard.

Sigh...

CitizenBBN
02-07-2015, 05:48 AM
What happened?

Darrell KSR
02-07-2015, 08:35 AM
PE Wall Ball.

Broke his left (shooting) hand. Out 4-6 weeks.

I haven't talked about the team much this year, but they have been remarkable. We lost our superstar player, leading scorer before the season to a middle school all star team comprised of the 11 schools in the two county region. I have some decent ball players, but nobody in his league, and the other kids would let him take over in tight games. We won a lot of close games with him. Recruiting!

Fast forward to this year. We grabbed the late practice time both of our allotted practice nights so we could go longer than one hour and we had a full court to ourselves. We then added a late Friday night practice that nobody wanted and practiced 2 hours initially on that night.

The kids got better and gained confidence.

We were in 3rd place and upset the 2nd place team last week, 40-29 to take over 2nd place. 12 of our points came from the cat quick little PG off the bench. Had some steals and a couple of assists. Confidence soaring.

We play the #1, undefeated team this afternoon. They will not be beaten this year, absent something weird happening. They have two guys that dunked on us last game. We have nobody that touch the rim with a ladder.

I spoke to Andrew Steele last week and told him one of their kids would start for his varsity team this year. Andrew (Ronalds brother) is the head coach of John Carroll Catholic High school.

Anyway, this will be a bloodbath today. But in a way, they are probably the best team for us to start with without Nick.

We will start to rebuild without him. All I want for the kids is to make the finals. This year, Joe Dean, Jr. comped his basketball Arena, Bill Battle Coliseum at Birmingham Southern College, for all 6 of our league championship games. It is a big deal to the kids... The team is introduced like we see in college, etc. There is a good chance that none of my kids will play high school ball, although 7 will try out. They are just a tad below talent level needed, but close. Anyway, that's why I have been working so hard with them and so proud of what they have accomplished without Thomas. Losing Nick, too is really going to hurt.

Darrell KSR
02-07-2015, 03:10 PM
Lost 35-31. Proud of the kids. Had one kid step up and score 11, with 3 4th quarter steals. He's averaging 4 ppg.

Very fun to coach this team. I told them after the game I think we lost our last game of the season. They have really grown up.