PDA

View Full Version : Germany/Southern European travel tips on time off?

dethbylt
10-19-2012, 01:15 AM
Soooo, I know somebody that has an opportunity to see southern Germany for a couple of days. Any tips on where to go or what to do? He is thinking about visiting Hitler's Eagle's Nest in Berchetsgarten.

elicat
10-19-2012, 12:48 PM
http://www.muenchen.de/int/en/restaurants/beer-gardens.html

Of course, if your friend has a chance to go truly into southern Europe rather than just southern Germany, northern Italy is another world, especially when it comes to eating.

suncat05
10-19-2012, 06:02 PM
http://www.muenchen.de/int/en/restaurants/beer-gardens.html

Of course, if your friend has a chance to go truly into southern Europe rather than just southern Germany, northern Italy is another world, especially when it comes to eating.

100% correct! And highly recommended by this old G.I.!

Catonahottinroof
10-19-2012, 06:11 PM
Bavarian vineyards and wineries are very nice.

suncat05
10-19-2012, 06:28 PM
And October is certainly the very best time of the year to be in the Bavarian region of Germany. Munich is beautiful, and if you choose to attend the Oktoberfest, you'll have many choices to make, and they'll all be good, every last one of them.

dan_bgblue
10-19-2012, 06:43 PM
I was in Germany and northern Italy about 40 years ago so take this for what it is worth. I loved the north of Italy. Scenery is beautiful and the food, as has already been mentioned is outstanding.

My most vivid memory of rural southern Germany is this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rothenburg_ob_der_Tauber

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty2nNmn4NqU

elicat
10-20-2012, 01:47 AM
...the further south you go, the better it gets. If your friend (or you?) can get time to go as far as the Greek islands, there is just one word for that opportunity: Santorini. Everything about it is better than anything you ever imagined. I know starting in Frankfurt or Munich this is a stretch, but if you can manage it, you will not be sorry.

The trick is getting there without unpleasantness on the way. On the Greek mainland, they seriously do not like Americans.

blueboss
10-20-2012, 10:11 AM
I spent some time in Seeshaupt which is a sleepy little town south of Munich on the southern end of Lake Sternberger which is absolutely beautiful. The people were truly the nicest I have ever encountered anywhere. Munich was a short train ride away if you had a hankering for big city German activities.

dethbylt
10-21-2012, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the tips guys! "My friend" got a couple of days off this weekend but had to be back on base by 22:00 every night so he decided to hit a couple of the local towns. He caught a train to Regensburg and thoroughly enjoyed. He saw the Lock Bridge, the Danube, and about a million shops and restaurants. There is nothing in the states like that. But of course, nothing in the states was founded around 300 AD.

I think the work schedule will keep everyone from travelling more than 100 or so km from where the work happens, so Greece and the Mediterranean will have to wait until things slow down.

They drink beer in Germany, who would have thunk it??? ;-)

dethbylt
10-21-2012, 08:46 AM
Speaking in third person terms is a sign of a psychological disorder right?

Padukacat
08-05-2022, 11:14 PM
Heading to Germany in a month and had to see if I could find any threads about it. We’re going with some friends who have been, one of them did a semester or year there in college. Starting in Munich several days with day trips to dachau and the castle I don’t want to spell. Then we head to Berchtesgaden and do a few days there with day trips to the eagles nest and sound of music area. Then to regensburg for a few nights and finish up in Munich. We like being on the go, gonna be packing light which will be tough for me. Any tips or tricks then let me know! First time in Europe for me and the wife.

MickintheHam
08-06-2022, 08:50 PM
Love Bavaria. Munchen is a must. I enjoyed the drive from Munchen to Innsbruck, Austria. The towns of Mittenwald and Garmish are breathtaking. If you are in Italy, Florence is a must.

Padukacat
08-07-2022, 07:10 AM
Our friend has us taking the trains for several day trips from Munich and also moving around every few days from Munich to Salzburg after a few nights then on to regensburg after a few nights. Lots of train riding each day. Does it make sense to rent a car to cut off the train times (looks like in some cases a few hours) or is it best to experience the train and not deal with a car?

MickintheHam
08-08-2022, 07:31 AM
Europeans take the train. For city to city travel trains are fast and efficient. Automobiles are difficult to manage in cities. Parking being the biggest problem. As for me I love the auto as it allows you to get off the beaten path. I would plan to use both forms of transportation.

Padukacat
08-08-2022, 09:54 PM
So here’s the text from our friend on a prelim agenda, tell me if there are any hidden treasures weve missed. I haven’t started my deep dive into planning just studying what’s there. I’d like to do the national park in berchesgaden but doubt we have time. I do plan to get some liederhosen and climb one of those greased poles at dult…not really but it does look fun.

Sunday Arrive in Munich 9:00 (3 nights)
⁃ 45 min ride to hotel to drop luggage
⁃ English Garden
⁃ Asamkirche
⁃ Marienplatz
⁃ Glockenspiel
⁃ Viktualienmaket
Monday - Day trip to Fussen (Neuschwanstein) 13/25$
⁃ travel 2.5 hours one way
Tuesday - Dachau/Munich
Wednesday - trip to Berchestgaden (2.5 hours, arrive 10am)
⁃ drop off luggage (4 min walk)
⁃ eagles nest (bus $16.60 pp)
⁃ Konigsee (this could take a while, research more about timing)
Stay in Berchestgaden 2 nights
Thursday - Salzburg day trip (50 min bus)
⁃ Sound of Music
Friday - Regensburg
⁃ drop off luggage, explore
⁃ Dultfest
Stay in Regensburg
Saturday - Munich wrap up
Sunday - fly home 11am

Darrell KSR
08-08-2022, 11:03 PM
Closest I've come is Helen, Georgia.

Here's my contribution.

https://www.europeanbestdestinations.com/destinations/germany/best-hidden-gems-in-germany/

Have a great time. Sounds fantastic.

dan_bgblue
08-09-2022, 09:51 AM
Looks like your entire stay is in Germany. My only suggestion is to investigate exchange rates on your dollars. You may get a better rate at your departing airport than you could get at the currency exchange in Munich.

2nd thing is that when I was there many moons ago, beer was much cheaper to drink than water or soda pop. a 12 ounce Coca Cola was twice the price of a bottle beer. 3rd thing is to get a small cooler to carry with you on your day trips and stock up on ice when you depart hotel if possible. The Europeans do not believe in putting ice in your water glass or your soft drink, and do not expect to get a frosty cold one either. They keep their beer in the cellar and it is about 60 degrees and your beer will be too.

I hope the weather cools off before your arrival, as Europeans do not know what air conditioning is in their homes, hotels, or businesses.

blueboss
08-09-2022, 06:46 PM
That is one busy week. If I ever get back to Europe I’m going to carve out a day or two to get to Normandy Fr. by whatever means it takes.

My first and so far last trip to Europe, I was just a teenager (16) and it did not occur to me/us to go to Normandy…Now, it’s a big regret.

We were all over Germany, Switzerland, France with brief stays in Austria, and Luxembourg, and as close as Paris to Normandy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Padukacat
09-06-2022, 04:41 PM
Day 1, flight cancelled to from Atlanta to Munich and rescheduled to fly into Amsterdam the next day
Day 2, finally fly into Amsterdam to get to the gate at the last minute and be told delta (who sucks) didn’t have us scheduled on the flight they said
They did. Rescheduled 6 hours later to Munich.
Day 3, kind of day 3 but still day 2 because we have been awake forever and due to the time change went straight to neuschwanstein castle on a train, then ate in the nearby town and ended up taking the 9 pm train back and getting in bed around 1130. I believe I was up for 30 hours at that point.
Day 4, woke up about four hours later than ever despite the noise outside due to my lack of sleep but had a good day in Munich we hit all the good spots but one or two. It’s midnight now and heading to bed for a move to Berchtesgaden tomorrow. I do like downtown Munich it was great. Lots of smoking, not a lot of idiot drunks, people are quieter here, things don’t cost as much, not super friendly to Americans, not many Americans here, not in love with the food so far, love the architecture of course, and how does everyone afford luxury cars? A few of my thoughts.

blueboss
09-06-2022, 04:50 PM
Sounds like a rough start hope it smooths out for you. Cologne was my favorite stop in Germany, by a long ways. We did have a lot of fun in Munich, but that was a long time ago. Back in the 70’s when I was there the Germans loved Americans. They always went out of their way to interact with us and very helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MickintheHam
09-06-2022, 10:25 PM
You can’t depend on the airlines anymore. They all suck!

Padukacat
09-16-2022, 05:52 AM
Here is a link to our pictures on facebook, I’m not sure if this works

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10160997341974749&type=3

KSRBEvans
09-16-2022, 08:41 AM
Padukacat, sorry you had a rough start to your trip.

I know this isn't at the front of your mind, but the EU has some regs that may entitle you to compensation. In 2017 we were flying from Chicago to Amsterdam for a river cruise and our flight left 7 hours late. I learned of a company called Flightright (https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:RdUkCWKy-LAJ:https://www.flightright.com/&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-b-1-e) that would evaluate if you had a claim under EU regs and if so, file your claim and pursue it on your behalf. They keep a cut of what they collect for you. Mrs. BEvans and I used them and we were pleased--they got $1200 for us and we netted about $850, IIRC.

Padukacat
09-17-2022, 05:48 AM
Padukacat, sorry you had a rough start to your trip.

I know this isn't at the front of your mind, but the EU has some regs that may entitle you to compensation. In 2017 we were flying from Chicago to Amsterdam for a river cruise and our flight left 7 hours late. I learned of a company called Flightright (https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:RdUkCWKy-LAJ:https://www.flightright.com/&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-b-1-e) that would evaluate if you had a claim under EU regs and if so, file your claim and pursue it on your behalf. They keep a cut of what they collect for you. Mrs. BEvans and I used them and we were pleased--they got $1200 for us and we netted about $850, IIRC.

Great to know

dan_bgblue
09-17-2022, 10:24 AM
Here is a link to our pictures on facebook, I’m not sure if this works

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10160997341974749&type=3

My screen tells me the page is unavailable