PDA

View Full Version : Wendell Ford has passed

dan_bgblue
01-22-2015, 12:49 PM
Former Senate Majority Whip Wendell Ford, D-Ky., has died. He was 90 years old (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/01/22/former-senate-democratic-whip-wendell-ford-dies-at-age-0/?intcmp=latestnews)

MickintheHam
01-22-2015, 03:32 PM
Dr.Capilouto paid a nice tribute to Wendell today. It was one of the best. Wendell did so much for our University. We can't replace all that he did.

My cousin married a girl from O'boro. Her dad was a businessman who was a long time friend of the Governor. When their engagement was announced Wendell and Jean hosted an engagement party at the Mansion. I thought what a nice perquisite for the governor. No, it wasn't. Wendell paid for it all himself. He was a very principled individual. What I wouldn't give to see one Democrat today who was as ethical and principled as Ford. Alas, it was another day and time.

Doc
01-22-2015, 03:39 PM
Like me, he was a Lambda Chi Alpha at UK. Attended a few years before me though (didn't graduate iirc).

jazyd
01-22-2015, 04:51 PM
Dr.Capilouto paid a nice tribute to Wendell today. It was one of the best. Wendell did so much for our University. We can't replace all that he did.

My cousin married a girl from O'boro. Her dad was a businessman who was a long time friend of the Governor. When their engagement was announced Wendell and Jean hosted an engagement party at the Mansion. I thought what a nice perquisite for the governor. No, it wasn't. Wendell paid for it all himself. He was a very principled individual. What I wouldn't give to see one Democrat today who was as ethical and principled as Ford. Alas, it was another day and time.

Mick, I am afraid the days of ethical and principled politicians who are also statesmen have passed us by.

cattails
01-22-2015, 07:32 PM
I have known Wendell since I was a child as he was my passed mother's were school mates. I have known his family for years as well as his brother. I've been in his office at his home and heard the stories on Cuba and so forth. Wendell was a party man, plan and simple, he would call my mother when she was alive and she would vote no matter who was on the ticket. I did not agree with his party line but one of the nicest persons you ever wanted to meet. I haven't been by to see him in years, but I do see his brother at times on the golf course, both class people doing what they thought was right. He will be missed.