PDA

View Full Version : American Sniper controversy

Doc
01-21-2015, 10:57 AM
Wow, liberals are such petty people!

So the film has Micheal Moore's extra large skid marked undies all bunched up, referring to snipers as "cowards"..link. (http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/19/entertainment/feat-michael-moore-sniper-tweet-feat/)

We have Seth Rogan (http://www.pnj.com/story/entertainment/2015/01/19/rogen-moore-ignite-sniper-debate-hollywood/22000679/) going Godwins law and referring to it as Nazi propaganda-ish

and now the big thing is the use of a prop doll rather than a "real" baby (link (https://gma.yahoo.com/fakebaby-american-sniper-latest-controversy-141035925--abc-news-music.html)) in the film. Gosh, I don't recall such a big hubbub when "An Inconvenient Truth" used a CGI ice age rather than a "REAL" ice age depiction! :confused0024:

Funny that they don't get all upset when Brad Bitt or Angellina Jolie blasts the fake crap out of some fake person. In those films, anything goes but when its based on an actual real life person who risked his real actual life protecting our real lives suddenly its important that its a "real" baby being used.

UKHistory
01-21-2015, 11:56 AM
The fake baby is funny. Bradley Cooper moving the babies hand underneath to make it appear that the baby is real--that is cheesy good; that is Ed Wood calibre film making. And it is up for an Oscar.

Honestly I'd rather they use a fake baby as opposed to putting a baby through long hours on a set.

Michael Moore's comments are really out of place. It is one thing had Moore said this away from the context of the film and is brought up now. I don't agree with it but if this is a general thought on tactics, OK. I recall spies, which movies have celebrated, were thought to be cowards by generals in the civil war. British soldiers thought guerilla tactis were unfair and cowardly during the revolution. Snipers are skilled marksman. There is nothing cowardly about that.

War is horrible. And for all the poems, the heroism, and medical advancements that come from them, the only thing to celebrate is their victorious end.

What really bothers me is that Moore is attacking a man who fought for his country and is dead now. There is no reason to attack the deceased's character to call him a coward. War is ugly and awful and human beings should work to not fight and kill. But when you are stuck in that spot...I am not going to critcize a man for being good at something. Based on what I have read there are aspects of his personality and some of his allegedly tall tales away from combat that reminds us that this veteran was not perfect.

Rogan's comment comparing the film to the film within the Inglorious Bastards is not as clear an attack. I don't remember the German movie playing in the movie.

What I have seen in the previews, just the previews mind you, I don't see as war propaganda. Top Gun is far more a recruiting pitch to serve than the scene with Bradley Cooper having to make a decision as to whether or not to kill child suicide bomber.

There is nothing glorious in that tough call. It is brutal. It is real. It is honest. And it is a call--right or wrong-- that has to be made to protect one's comrades.

That scene made me pray harder for our troops. If anything it is the kind of situation that would make me want to bring my soldiers home. It is not the thing that makes me want to keep fighting.

But Michael Moore, who I wanted to give the benefit of the doubt to in some ways based on his first film, really saddens me. Our country is not perfect. But I will take our way of life over everyone elses in heart beat. Can't beat Sweden's bikini team but there is no nation better than this one.

There are few places on earth that would allow his unpatriotic hate speech. The irony of it.

CitizenBBN
01-21-2015, 10:22 PM
Historically spies are always both lauded and hated, either brave and courageous or cowardly based on which side they serve.

but snipers, while I agree historically seen in a bad light at the onset of this nation, have always been seen as great heroes in America. Americans have long embraced use of snipers as a military tactic, and beyond that Moore's notion that these guys are somehow out of danger or not facing the enemy and risking their lives shows just how out of touch he is with the military, combat, and common sense.

The job of a sniper is very high risk, and even moreso as a special ops sniper, deployed to the toughest of the tough situations and operating without support, b/c he's the support for everyone else.

They do a cold, deadly job to protect their fellow soldiers. There's not a single aspect of anything they do that is cowardly, and anyone with any sense knows that already. Only pathetic critics like Moore would ever make such claims.

And that's all Moore is, a pure critic. Not one to step up with solutions or answers or ways to do things better, just a running criticism of those trying to take action, pointing out their failings both real and oft imagined. Useless crap. It's easy to pick at things with no responsibility, but it does nothing to help and is the TRUE nature of a coward.

He's not even brave enough to try to improve anything, or work towards solutions in any issue he addresses. Just trite comments and half truths.

suncat05
01-22-2015, 09:36 AM
Good points and observations throughout by both UKHistory & CBBN.

Doc
01-22-2015, 11:28 AM
I like UKHistory's comparison to TOP GUN. There you have your classic war film that glorifies war and makes it totally unrealistic yet Hollywood has no problem with it because its done by their liberal buddies. I know lots of military guys who lather up oil and beach volley ball... or do "fly bye's" against their commanders orders (I'm sure that would go over well) ... or do HALF the crap that was total bologna in that film simply because folks in the military are known for being individual :lmao:

KSRBEvans
01-29-2015, 08:44 AM
Interesting article on how the movie is being received in Baghdad:

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/middle-east/iraq/150128/what-moviegoers-baghdad-think-american-sniper

UKHistory
02-02-2015, 01:38 PM
There are stories from the early days of aviation about cowboy pilots and crazy stunts that were Top Gunesque.

The Flying Tigers, by all historical accounts, truly lived a crazy life during their short run as mercenaries paid by the Chinese. Once they were forced to "rejoin" the US Army Air coprs, military discipline returned. American test pilots too had a bit of that bravado. And most of the flyers were passed over for the Astronuat program.

There is nothing in the preview of the American Sniper film that says propoganda. Again I have only seen the preview. Looking forward to it.

I like UKHistory's comparison to TOP GUN. There you have your classic war film that glorifies war and makes it totally unrealistic yet Hollywood has no problem with it because its done by their liberal buddies. I know lots of military guys who lather up oil and beach volley ball... or do "fly bye's" against their commanders orders (I'm sure that would go over well) ... or do HALF the crap that was total bologna in that film simply because folks in the military are known for being individual :lmao:

cattails
02-03-2015, 05:34 PM
War is killing people, that's just what it is, holding ground, taking ground, there is nothing pretty about it. There are to many saint like people setting on the side lines condemning the actions of our military. All is fair in war, there are no rules and you can believe the other side does not have rules either, it is war. It is when Joe media gets wind of something that they don't think is right, well Joe media put your ass on the line and get back to me, and by the way the media that are at the front are some brave individuals, some lose their lives. My own feelings is that we need to bring our troops home and mind our own business, the middle east is historically set in it's ways and does not in any way reflect the American way, let them settle their own differences.

JasonNorin
02-18-2015, 12:37 AM
Interesting article on how the movie is being received in Baghdad:

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/middle-east/iraq/150128/what-moviegoers-baghdad-think-american-sniper

Thanks for sharing this..